Go Back   XmodSource.com > Xmods > General XMODs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Old 07-07-2007, 10:48 AM
Stage 1 member

Trader Rating: (1)
Default Evo or Gen1 chasis's.

I maybe old school, but I prefer the Gen1's over the Evo's when it comes to their chasis's and electronics. Granted the Evo's do sit lower to ground, but the movable parts just seem weaker. Now I do not own any aluminum parts for my evos, but just doing stock parts to stock parts, the Gen1's hold up so much better.
I am curious as to what my fellow modders think so please let me know why you feel one is better than the other.

Thanks
Old 07-07-2007, 10:56 AM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (0)

gen 1
Old 07-07-2007, 10:59 AM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (4)
Send a message via AIM to Nissanshift350

well there has been debates on this topic before. alot of people have strong opinions when it comes to wich chassis they like more.... myself i have about 13 evo chassis and only 6 gen1s and i never use the gen1s because of the steerint problems they have. and i have yet to get the tight turns kit... i also like how on the evo all the gears are inclosed so they stay some what cleaner. as oposed to the gen1s open gears.. and i would allways break rear axel cups on my gen1s so for me the evo chassis is way better.... for some reasn i allways seem to break my gen1s and never my evos... but personally thr best chassis to have i would say is a evo truck chassis with a servo motor for crawlin. its the funnest

thanks NS350

Team ACCENTS Founder
Team Ford GT Founder
Old 07-07-2007, 11:01 AM

Trader Rating: (22)
Send a message via AIM to 123Vette Send a message via Yahoo to 123Vette

ya i agree gen1 are much better to work on the evo are to simplified which i feel takes the fun out of em
Old 07-07-2007, 11:02 AM
Elite member

here we go, fight! fight! fight! lol..

but yeah, i also like the gen1 better. its just more fun to tinker with and alot more challenging to make your ride perform the way you want. not only that, ive installed the 3.3k resistor tight turn mod in all my gen1s, and they control alot better than my evos.

i dont care for the evos so much is because the quality of the plastic parts is complete crap..
Old 07-07-2007, 12:34 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (17)

I agree with everyone else, I love my gen1's over my evos. They just seem more complicated, and that makes them more fun to work on. Granted ive never had any problems with any of my xmods, so i dont have any personal experience with breakage problems or anything. I just think the gen1's are more technical and better to tinker with
Tamiya TA-02

Traxxas Hawk 2
Old 07-07-2007, 12:49 PM
Elite member

ok, i was a little bored so i threw this little clip together to give an idea of how much better (in my opinion) the gen1s are, hope it works :P

hard treads on the back and soft treads on the front + hardwood floor = no match for tight turns

Old 07-07-2007, 12:59 PM
Xmod Expert

Trader Rating: (3)

Yeah same here i prefer way better gen1 since u can make more modification to them.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:05 PM
That's what she said.

atomic mods talks about hte evo and gen 1...

supposevly the evo's dead weight is more than the gen 1's but the evo has better turning and out of the box speed... but the drivetrain is weaker in the evo (all hte plasic parts) than in the gen 1 (i think most of it's metal)

i personally think that radio shack tried to fix all of the bumps in the gen 1, then tried to lower the price of the evo by using low quality things in where they could
Old 07-07-2007, 01:11 PM
Xmod Expert

TBH, I noticed that the Gen1's speed/acceleration are less than HALF that of the EVOs... It may be just me... But its annoying... Having to spend $$$ on an S2 to get decent speed and having to purchase caps to do the tight-turns mod really isn't worth it to me ATM.

I agree, the Gen1s are much more durable, but the EVO's are easier to work on (IMO) and have better performance + more fun without having to spend additional money.

NOTE: Let's keep this a clean thread. There have already been MANY discussions on whether the Gen1s or Evos are better, but they've all been flamed, and argued over like little children competing on who has "the better toy".

I'll give this thread a chance, but don't ruin it for everybody's sake.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:23 PM
Xmod Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang-04 View Post
here we go, fight! fight! fight! lol..
Why would you say that? you just like getting good discussion threads closed. You did this in the "speak for it" thread too. and that was something i wanted to see what others would say about too. My point is try not acting like an a-hole all the time...

awnsring the question i like my gen 1's period, why? Because not matter how many evos i buy for 30$ in canada i sell them for 60$...i only kept one titan...
Old 07-07-2007, 01:55 PM
Elite member

Gen 1 all the way!! I have an Evo and I feel there is to much binding within the chassis. Xmods were trying to mimic mini-z's. I look at it this way. when Mopar designed the Hemi and tore up the Nascar circuit it scared Chevy and Ford, so they designed a "hemi head" motor. It looked good, but couldn't perform like the real thing.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:02 PM
That's what she said.

Mud mud mud hehehe very dirty

i've personally been wanting to get a gen 1 because they have better bodys for one, and their drive train is better...
Old 07-07-2007, 02:02 PM
Elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
Why would you say that? you just like getting good discussion threads closed. You did this in the "speak for it" thread too. and that was something i wanted to see what others would say about too. My point is try not acting like an a-hole all the time...
that other thread had no place on this message board and has already been discussed between myself and a certain someone, hence its gone!

and at no time do i ever, ever bash on peoples posts like you just did.

fight fight fight "LOL" <-- learn sarcasm, its in the dictionary!

and to boot, REDisFASTER had just said lets keep it clean and here you go starting an argument that doesnt belong in this thread..

Last edited by mustang-04; 07-07-2007 at 02:04 PM..
Old 07-07-2007, 02:54 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (17)

I do agree with red that the evo's are more fun out of the box, but i really like the gen1's when im just bored and want to work on something.
Tamiya TA-02

Traxxas Hawk 2
Old 07-07-2007, 02:56 PM
Advance member

Send a message via MSN to darkendblade Send a message via Yahoo to darkendblade

lol im so going back to the sub lol ok by hands down the evo performs so much better i have a lancer with s2 bearings awd and lowing kit on it and it whoops anus on my skyline with s2 bearings awd but i also love to takle tyings apart and have so many llittle things i can tinker with so i go for the gen1s hand's down and then you have all these bodie you can put on the gen1's but not on the evos becasue thier to narrow or not long enough wich i think is stupid and the evo trucks are just awsome i have driven my hummer chassie into my in ground pool twice and it 13 feet deep hahahahaha so i dont have much to say about the trucks but umm get the titan and use teh chassie in any other truck you have since they are built the best just like the gen1 wrx it had the best built chassie out of every gen1 made but in the cars fully moded with gpm and liths fets tight-ts im have to say get a GEN1 they will have more metal in them then the evo and i have personaly driven my skyline of a 10 foot drop and landed it then just drove off yes it was gpmed but i have tested it and with stock evo and stock gen and the gen1 lasted the knuckle broke on the evo's front right and both rear axel's and ill look for my vid of this to show you thanks for the tiome in this thread that i have used up but go for a gen 1 they are just to cool
Old 07-07-2007, 05:35 PM

hey that turns mod is that the one from am if not where do u get it?
Old 07-07-2007, 05:41 PM
Xmod Expert

either that or some 3.3k resistors.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:25 PM

and u get htese where?
Old 07-07-2007, 06:32 PM
Xmod Expert

u can get them in rs or XI all u do with it is u cut off the two of the three servo wire (leave the middle one) and u solder them together one resistors each side. ill get pic somewhrer or get u the tut if possible.