Go Back   XmodSource.com > XMS > Questions / Suggestions / Complaints / Comments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

View Poll Results: should there be more catagories?
more catagories sounds like a good idea. 23 74.19%
more catagories = FAIL 3 9.68%
undecided 5 16.13%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-12-2009, 08:32 PM
All 6's and 7's

Trader Rating: (8)
Send a message via MSN to bondo
Default 1:1 Buildoff Suggestion

to the mods and members alike.
i was looking through the buildoff section(some awesome entries so far) and i could'nt help but think that overall,the comp is kind of unfair to all.
my reason for saying this is because you have straight from the floor brand new shinies,cars that are a decade or so old and cars that in most cases are conscidered antiques,tuners,muscle,trucks all in competition for ONE prize.

IMO, for this to be fair to EVERYONE, there should be a few catagories similar to an open entry auto show with seperate catagories.

example:
50(or whatever the earliest entry is)-65
65-80
80-95
95-present

Best Truck
Best Import Car
Best domestic Car
Most Improved

and the top dog.
Best In Show

this leaves us with multiple ways to win but more importantly,increases the chances for EVERYONE instead of those few who appeal to the majority of ONE catagory.

i'll include a quick poll to hear everyone elses thoughts about it.
i also volunteer to moderate and create the final voting polls for all 8 (or so) catagories.

what do you all think?

Last edited by bondo; 01-12-2009 at 08:37 PM..
Old 01-12-2009, 08:36 PM
Subaru Nut

Trader Rating: (7)

I like the idea alot bondo more catagories would be very nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donziikid View Post
You can't fix stupid.
MY TUTORIALS
SNOW PLOW
HUMMER DROP HITCH
DULLY TIRE TUT
Old 01-12-2009, 09:08 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25

Weill be taken into consideration. But, IMO, the less the catagories the better. We all know how XMS members handle catagories. Like Muscle cars... Ha.... haha... ohhh....

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 01-12-2009, 09:15 PM
XMS Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Donziikid

Not only the above mentioned, but more categories means more prizes and more prizes means more cost.. I agree with the idea, I just think prizes for approximatly nine different categories is getting a little excessive.

Cheers,
Kyle.

Greyscale Racing Member

The Collection:
Mitsubishi Pajero | AE RC18MT
TLMicroCrawler | Xmod ShowRoom | 'Yota XTruck
"The fun begins when the pavement ends."

Old 01-12-2009, 09:25 PM
All 6's and 7's

c'mon tex, you of all people know how one sided the majority is.
they mostly look at the latest greatest, this leaves little room for the rest who have slaved away on a 15 yr old rust bucket to be beaten by an 09' with aftermarket bolt ons.
please, dont ANYONE take that statement the wrong way.
i've been a part of many comps on this site and they all seem to sway that way unless catagorized.

my proposed system is more thought out then your usual COTM's.
one person. that's all you need.
one person places the entrants in the catagories they go in, the majority votes
when it comes to voting they have a handful of catagories to vote on.
VERY SIMPLE.
they either vote or they dont.
so if there's 9 catagories then each member has 9 votes they can cast if they choose with the last being Best In Show.

this isnt like a COTM where everyone bickers about what classifies a muscle car.
it's pretty straight forward......

also, there should be a rule that you are only allowed 1 entry.
another rule should be that the the vehicle should be COMPLETE and RUNNING at the deadline or the vehicle is exempt from all catagories other then "Most Improved".

EDIT@ Donzii
i was unaware of ANY prizes.
i thought this was purely for bragging rights and a sig.....since there's no actual "about" or "rules" thread for the comp.......

Last edited by bondo; 01-12-2009 at 09:29 PM..
Old 01-12-2009, 09:30 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25

Quote:
c'mon tex, you of all people know how one sided the majority is.
they mostly look at the latest greatest, this leaves little room for the rest who have slaved away on a 15 yr old rust bucket to be beaten by an 09' with aftermarket bolt ons.
please, dont ANYONE take that statement the wrong way.
i've been a part of many comps on this site and they all seem to sway that way unless catagorized
Oh know I know what you mean, few guys with plenty of $$$ to toss in vs. my ever shrinking budget. And I'm certainly for it, we have a good few old trucks that I'd like to run with. But I just hope people would be happy with what ever catagory their settled in and not whine.

I do dig:
Best Truck
Best Import Car
Best domestic Car
Most Improved
and the top dog.
Best In Show

If we were to break it up in years, as far as classic and modern, it would be done by what many state laws use for definition, 25 years old.

Guess if everyone could decide on a set few catagories, they can enter into what ever catagory they want instead of being classified as another by us, to keep the *****ing down.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 01-12-2009, 09:35 PM
XMS Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Donziikid

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondo View Post
EDIT@ Donzii
i was unaware of ANY prizes.
i thought this was purely for bragging rights and a sig.....since there's no actual "about" or "rules" thread for the comp.......
I wasn't either. I was going by what you said in the first post; since you are actually in the competition, I thought you may have a little better handle of what was going on with it. I wasn't around when this was proposed (away on Vacation, I think) and nor am I thinking of entering, so I never really got in on it.

Greyscale Racing Member

The Collection:
Mitsubishi Pajero | AE RC18MT
TLMicroCrawler | Xmod ShowRoom | 'Yota XTruck
"The fun begins when the pavement ends."

Old 01-12-2009, 09:41 PM
ROTFLSHMSFOAIDMT

Trader Rating: (24)
Send a message via AIM to TheB1GDude Send a message via MSN to TheB1GDude

Unfortunately Suicide_star who was the original brains behind this has stepped down as a moderator, hopefully he can get on here to provide some input, either way I don't really mind just let me know what you all decide....

Duct Tape is like the force:- it has a light side and a dark side and it binds the universe together.....
Old 01-12-2009, 09:50 PM
All 6's and 7's

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan_idiot25 View Post
Oh know I know what you mean, few guys with plenty of $$$ to toss in vs. my ever shrinking budget. And I'm certainly for it, we have a good few old trucks that I'd like to run with. But I just hope people would be happy with what ever catagory their settled in and not whine.

I do dig:
Best Truck
Best Import Car
Best domestic Car
Most Improved
and the top dog.
Best In Show

If we were to break it up in years, as far as classic and modern, it would be done by what many state laws use for definition, 25 years old.

Guess if everyone could decide on a set few catagories, they can enter into what ever catagory they want instead of being classified as another by us, to keep the *****ing down.
breaking it up into years is just another tier wich gives everyone involved one more shot at winning something.
my reasoning for the 15 yr. marker is the seperation of the current entrants.
most open entry auto shows seperate generations by decades for judging.(mind you, most shows have upwards of 100+ entries)
i was adding the extra 5yrs per to keep the catagories to a minimum but no car show i have EVER been to has seperated years by 25.
that's a state DMV classification as to what is "classic"(to be able to register for "classic" tags) with 50 years being "antique".

@Donzii,
i was'nt around a whole lot for the build off thread either.
but i'm almost sure that it was for bragging rights and i think someone mentioned making GIF.'s for sigs to go to the winner.
even if there is'nt a GIF. just being able to say you won "buildoff Best Import" and/or "best 80-95" and put it in your sig is plenty.
aleast i feel so...
Old 01-12-2009, 10:06 PM
XMS Administrator

Believe it or not I completely agree with you on this Bondo. The only problem I see is everyone winning by default due to lack of participation, but hey, a win is a win, it's not the entrants fault that someone else did not have something better. In reality there is no real "worst case scenario" to your proposal. It is all for fun and anyone who wishes to complain needs to simply build something better.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:39 PM
All 6's and 7's

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX9RBART View Post
Believe it or not I completely agree with you on this Bondo. The only problem I see is everyone winning by default due to lack of participation, but hey, a win is a win, it's not the entrants fault that someone else did not have something better. In reality there is no real "worst case scenario" to your proposal. It is all for fun and anyone who wishes to complain needs to simply build something better.
i'm not suprised at all.
i ALWAYS conscidered you to be fair and lvl headed even though we didnt see eye to eye a few times.
as far as winning by default, the only way i see that happening is in the yearly cats. the solution to that is simply make the yearly cats according to the entries so that there's atleast 2-3 in each.

short rant:
i'm not gonna BS you guys and say that i dont have an agenda for my suggestion,most of you know me better then that.
i will however, explain it.
we know and it's been proven many times that the members of this site don't exactly look at what work/blood/sweat/tears/loss of hair/skin or other body parts has gone into a project when casting a vote.
that being said, the owners/builders of the camaros and mustangs already have a leg up since they have the "popular vehicle".
seriously, how many people say "my favorite vehicle is a chevy CS" or my "fav is a CRX" or maxima.
i'm not saying that those guys don't have a chance, im just saying that the majority is going to vote for the most "popular" type.
spitfire might get a couple votes for his 72 comet but i'm willing to bet that even if it was mint and featured in the next issue of HRM that he would only get a couple of votes and would most likely be beaten by a mustang or camaro.
in my case, i have upwards of 1000 hours into my entry and all of 6 people have replied.
nobody is looking at the work being done, most people are looking at it like it's a bucket.
it is...........but it's a bucket being transformed into something respectable through hard work.
my case is not on it's own.
i see atleast half of the current comp putting ALOT of work into their projects.
all i want to see is a little recognition for that hard work...

soapbox mode off......
Old 01-12-2009, 10:45 PM
Xmod Expert

Send a message via AIM to suicide_star Send a message via MSN to suicide_star

Great idea for the separate categories bondo. Originally it was for nothing but bragging rights and just for fun. We agreed that from August08 to August09 was plenty of time to do lots of stuff to our projects and it just kind of spun off from there. There's no point into having material prizes, it's just supposed to be good clean fun and motivation to get people on their 1:1 projects.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:09 PM
Working Class Hero

Trader Rating: (32)
Send a message via MSN to TripleXmodder(akaXXX)

I have a saying ........ KISS it. K. I. S. S.

K- keep
I- It
S- Simple
S- Stupid

I think that a catagory each month is fine like it is. Muscle car or best custom chassis, or door slammers, low riders, or whatever for the month. Maybe Once a quarter (every 3 months) or every 6 months have a catagory comp like Bondo suggests. Maybe a big prize for that comp, and somthing simple for the other months

The reason is everyone would just do the mod they want in one comp and run out of ideas and entries. It's okay to not have alot of entries every month. It's the fun of the build or if your not entered, the fun of keeping up with the project threads. You would exhaust all the good cars in 1 comp if it was done otherwise.

XXX FREE modding Service: http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17800
PM me for a quote or any questions. HAPPY MODDING

100% Positive Itrader feedback http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/itrader.php?u=6901
Old 01-12-2009, 11:20 PM
All 6's and 7's

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleXmodder(akaXXX) View Post
I have a saying ........ KISS it. K. I. S. S.

K- keep
I- It
S- Simple
S- Stupid

I think that a catagory each month is fine like it is. Muscle car or best custom chassis, or door slammers, low riders, or whatever for the month. Maybe Once a quarter (every 3 months) or every 6 months have a catagory comp like Bondo suggests. Maybe a big prize for that comp, and somthing simple for the other months

The reason is everyone would just do the mod they want in one comp and run out of ideas and entries. It's okay to not have alot of entries every month. It's the fun of the build or if your not entered, the fun of keeping up with the project threads. You would exhaust all the good cars in 1 comp if it was done otherwise.
lol who you callin stupid???
we're talking about the 1:1 buildoff not COTM's
Old 01-12-2009, 11:23 PM
Working Class Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondo View Post
lol who you callin stupid???
we're talking about the 1:1 buildoff not COTM's

It is a GENERAL statement. I am not calling anyone stupid. It is an acronym to remind me to keep things simple. It is a US MARINE saying actually.

XXX FREE modding Service: http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17800

100% Positive Itrader feedback http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/itrader.php?u=6901
Old 01-12-2009, 11:28 PM
SPR

As someone who competes and attends countless carshows threw out the entire year, and host one of his own... I couldnt agree with this more. With the range of cars... this is nothing but a online car show. It needs categorys.

Its not like their are trophies. so really whats it going to hurt. Going to take a mod maybe an extra 30 minutes to post an additional 4 threads. And i think it will delieved a way better out come. We dont need 40 different categorys like best 60's best 70's best performance... thats worthless. But you need to put the cars against their own kind atleast.

Best Truck
Best Import Car
Best domestic Car
Most Improved
Best In Show

Those 5 bondo listed coudlnt be any better.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:35 PM
Back from the bodyshop

Trader Rating: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPR View Post

Best Truck
Best Import Car
Best domestic Car
Most Improved
Best In Show

Those 5 bondo listed coudlnt be any better.
I really like the idea of catagories because with the big range in cars on this forum. That way atleast they are in the same class with the cars they are competing against instead of just one best overall winner.

http://www.nickgrant.co.uk/londontobrighton/013.gif
./_ _ _ ___ __\.
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
Old 01-12-2009, 11:39 PM
All 6's and 7's

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleXmodder(akaXXX) View Post
It is a GENERAL statement. I am not calling anyone stupid. It is an acronym to remind me to keep things simple. It is a US MARINE saying actually.
i know what it is...
you completely missed the context of my post.............

it's probably best to either read and understand the thread that your replying to or keep you post to yourself.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:42 PM
Working Class Hero

I like the idea as well. It is just that there are limited amount of mods going on when you think about it and I thin k you would exhaust all the good projects all in 1 Comp. But maybe 1 -3 times a year would be good.

I don't need a prize every month for the monthly 1 catagory comps. But they give us a reason to build and add good project threads to our community.

Im down with whatever though.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:43 PM
SPR

One last thing to add for some simpathy with bondo. Being one of those Camaro owners and having a "popular car" I also have 7 grand in cash sitting to the side waiting to dump into my car at any moment. Not to mention now i just moved my car to a shop that is 5 times the size of my HOUSE! and has every single tool you could ever need for restoring a classic. Not to mention since im not working right now. i have all the time in the world to me working on this... plus all the skills in the world. My car will go from rust bucket to show queen by the end of this competition.

Not to count my chickens early or try to brag. But thanks to my good fortune. I can honestly see me winning this overal competition. Which i think is bullcrap. Sure im going to dump a lot of hard work and money into my car... and at some point i might deserve the win... But Look at bondo. He has a truck that requires 4 times as much work as my camaro. whats he going to get? 2 votes? thats bull****.

or maybe him and i are both wrong, and people on here just are not into the old cars, and all flaunt towards bigs mustang. He has dumped some serious money into that lately and taken it a long way... and im sure isnt even close to finished... If everyone is more fond of new cars and cant appreciate the hard work that goes into restoring old cars and think bolt ons are the cool thing... well then bondo and i are both in the ****house. (no offence at all big, i love your car. you've done a great job)

The only way to keep this comp fair is the categories.

if there only ends up being one person who cares... Last year at my personal car show i hold... We had over 100 cars show up. Had over 60 awards. One being best mitsubishi.. not ONE single mitsubishi showed up to the show. Some mom in the parking lot driving a 2006 bone stock galant took our award home... thats just the way the dice rolls sometimes.