Go Back   XmodSource.com > Xmods > XMOD Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Old 01-07-2009, 08:40 PM
Stage 1 member

Trader Rating: (0)
Default Barricade "Ultimate Pursuit Vehicle" electronics swap

I took a stock Xmods Barricade and replaced the electronics board with an Associated XP2 transmitter and receiver from an rc18r, a GWS gs-100 micro airplane speed control, and a Hitec HS-55 servo circuit board. For power I install a PN Racing Saber 130 motor and two 7.4V 230mah Diy Mini Tuner Micro-t lipos wired in parallel for 460mah at 7.4 volts.
I used the HS-55 circuit board to connect the stock servo motor and pot already installed in the Xmods front end to the Associated receiver.The poteniometer or "pot" is the 3 wire device that rotates with the servo output shaft to determine position. The red and black servo power wires from the hs-55 board go to the xmod servo motor (top motor tab gets red wire, bottom gets black wire) then the 3 "pot" wires go from the circuit board to the xmods pot: green to white xmod wire, yellow to orange xmod wire, and red to the black xmod pot wire. Due to the relatively small size of the Associated xp2 receiver it fits perfect on the chassis. The GWS micro speed control is tiny but can handle 5-8 cells at a constant 5 amps. It is forward only with brake ( this is a plane speed control.) There are only a few types of pistol transmitters that can use this speed control without modification. The XP2 transmitter features an adjustment on the trigger that sets it for either center neutral point (stock) or up neutral point ( for full swing of the throttle trigger with a slight swing upward just for brake.) This is an important feature that this controller has as a normal trigger controller will not allow adjustment of the neutral point to the degree that this speed control needs as it is really for airplanes. Most airplane speed controls use the full range of motion of the trigger or stick on the transmitter.
Anyway, performance is downright wicked. Full and fast steering response much like or better than mini-z and a very efficient speed control with far more control definitely help to control this VERY fast car. The Saber motor really comes alive with the lipo power. The speed control is very precise and allows the car to hit top speed with ease-the car actually caught air and lifted off the ground in one high speed test. This is the fasted Xmod I have ever put together....and I hope to have video at some point one day to show it off...

Last edited by Donziikid; 01-07-2009 at 08:42 PM..
Old 01-07-2009, 08:50 PM
drifter and engineer

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to XMDrifter

btw that's in series not parallel.
if it was parallel, then you'd be at 920mah at 3.6v-3.7v
so you're running it series at 460mah at 7.2v-7.4v

anyways, very clean swap.
it looks very compact and perfect for this scale.
but also it looks like you'll have problems getting traction in the rear since there's so little weight in the rear
Old 01-07-2009, 08:56 PM
Stage 1 member

I beg to differ, it is parallel...each pack is 7.4v at 230mah. The packs are wired in parallel:+ to + and - to -. That increases the capacity from 230 mah to 460 mah and the voltage remains the same 7.4v. Basically it is each micro-t pack sharing the load so overall the packs can handle more current and provide more capacity (mah) yet the voltage remains the same. Thanks for the compliments. The packs are very lightweight and I was trying to balance the car, it actually handles well that way.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:52 PM
drifter and engineer

my bad.
i was looking at a thread that was talking about a micro t battery only putting out 3.6/3.7v
the team losi lipo only has 180mah...
oh well.
i think more rear traction could be had if you keep it rwd and move the packs rearward.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:08 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (4)
Send a message via AIM to merc3des

Extremely neat conversion. Get some GPM front knuckles, because it can be a real pain replacing plastic parts. Aside from that, I say you try and build a real beast, and try and wind your own motor This has real potential, and is nice and neat, so keep this one alive

Mercedes Track Car v2 (50% finished) :
http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18360

Comeback Supra Project (trust me tune in):
http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20546
Old 01-07-2009, 10:11 PM
SPR

those STi wheels look killer on that mustang!!
Old 01-07-2009, 10:21 PM
Subaru Nut

Trader Rating: (7)

You should make a drag racer that only goes straight and turns alittle like the real thing. Are those packs in any danger with how low they are and unprotected
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donziikid View Post
You can't fix stupid.
MY TUTORIALS
SNOW PLOW
HUMMER DROP HITCH
DULLY TIRE TUT
Old 01-07-2009, 10:23 PM
Stage 1 member

thanks-I thought the rims make the Barricade look great too.
I was considering winding some motors but where do you get the high temp insulated wire?
Thanks!
Old 01-07-2009, 11:07 PM
drifter and engineer

it's just ordinary magnet wire.
just get some from radioshack. comes in a pack of three. the red is 30g, the green is like, 28g, and the gold is 26g i think.
i'd stick with 30g for this scale.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:13 AM
the torqueinator

Trader Rating: (1)
Send a message via AIM to kendallcschm

if i was you i would switch to prostreet rims or something.. although those sti rims match well

'65 Drag Mustang

mods to be made:
pro street rims
some sort of suspension upgrade (message me if you have suggestions)
soft drag slicks

Titan:

mods to be made:
CF driveshaft
composite driveshaft gears
Old 01-08-2009, 08:04 AM
Stage 1 member

Thanks XMDrifter-I saw that pack of wires the last time I was in RS and thought to buy but didn't.....
I will try some winds-got enough motors to try some different designs.
Thanks.