Go Back   XmodSource.com > XMS > Beginner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Old 01-18-2008, 10:04 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (0)
Default need help with paint

what is a better paint to use other than spray can because when i use spray it sometimes gets air bubbles on it and i need to know what other paint is better
Old 01-18-2008, 10:09 PM
Xmod Expert

Other than airbrushing, spray can is the best.

Its not the paint that's causing air bubbles... Its you!

You need to use primer in order for some types of paint to stick. As well, a reason why you have air bubbles is because you're probably applying really thick coats, all at once. One THIN coat at a time. After primer, the coat should be just enough that you can still see a faint hue of the primer's color underneath the paint. Allow the paint to get a bit tacky, then do another THIN coat.

Wait until Bondo or XMODification sees this thread. They'll give you more insight on this subject.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:40 PM
SPR

id have to disagree a little with the person above... on these cars you dont want to use primers... its just one layer to many...

first you need to clean and prep your car very well. wash it very well with aceton or something similar. sometimes a light scuff of sand paper is good too.

Use hobby grade spray can paints.. not testors... try Tamiya. they have better colors anyway...

the trick to getting it to turn out good, is knowing how to work a spray can. its kinda a fine science...

first off shake the can very well. its a must. shake it for a good minute or 2.
second, dont hold down the button constantly. Do short 1-2 second strokes. Apply the button before you hit what your painting, quickly move across it, and release the button at the end. then repeat. short 1-2 second strokes. releasing the button constantly. hold the can a good 6-9 inches away from your work.

do a SUPER light coat the very first coat. like seriously virtually no coverage at all. get just a slight little speckle of color on the car... let it dry for a whilte and get good and dry... then apply a little darker coat, let it get good and dry, and just keep doing that over and over. very thin coats over a long period of time. untill you get maximum coverage. this is where most people mess up. they get impaitient, put the paint on to thick to fast and dont let it dry good enough. it takes a lot of time and patients. practice makes perfect.

but its sooo easy to run the paint on these bodies, just take your time, super light coats, let each one dry a good 30 min to an hour at least. normally an hour is plenty.. sometimes it may take more... resist touching it with your hands. the oil on your hands does not help at all, and if the paint is tacky your just going to leave finger prints...

just dont give up your first time... practice makes perfect.. im going to do a spray can tutorial here really soon, soon as my body comes in the mail.

Last edited by SPR; 01-18-2008 at 10:45 PM..
Old 01-18-2008, 10:55 PM
Xmod Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPR View Post
id have to disagree a little with the person above... on these cars you dont want to use primers... its just one layer to many...
I see where you're coming from! I was just referring to the fact that some paints don't adhere well, even to a finely sanded surface (some paint manufacturers have different brews).
Old 01-18-2008, 11:01 PM
SPR

thats why i say use tamiya... not cheap *** crap.

glosses dont adhear as well as flats either... thats why the first coat u spray sooo super thing that you can barley tell you sprayed.. because it will ahear perfectly... and it will set the surface for the next layer, paint will stick to paint... so if u keep doing super super thin light coats and keep sticking it to its self. you'll come out with a great looking paint job.

make sense?
Old 01-19-2008, 12:07 AM
Elite member

so should i just let it sit for an hour or two before touching it because i might leave finger prints on it
Old 01-19-2008, 12:20 AM
SPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDUDE View Post
so should i just let it sit for an hour or two before touching it because i might leave finger prints on it
well you shouldnt touch it at all while your painting it. after you apply your final coat i wouldnt touch it for a good 3-5 hours... after that i normally would spray a clear coat... not needed, but i like to do it anyway, then after that drys. then ill touch it.
Old 01-19-2008, 07:58 PM
Stage 1 member

DEFINANTLY wait to touch the car until you're SURE it's dry. Also, make sure you don't touch anywhere you're going to paint after you've washed it with Finalwash or something, because the oil off your fingers can make the paint screw up too. Good Luck!
Old 01-19-2008, 09:11 PM
SPR

pretty sure u just said exactly what i said with different wording... lol good job!
Old 01-19-2008, 11:06 PM
Stage 1 member

Oops..my bad
Old 01-19-2008, 11:35 PM
SPR

lol, no problem just teasin ya

so back to the TS, did ya ever try painting?