Go Back   XmodSource.com > XMS > Beginner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Old 01-27-2010, 08:31 PM

Trader Rating: (0)
Default new here and to xmods.

first off hi all. i am new to xmods and the entire custom rc world. i had tyco rc's growing up but never one i could work on. i wanted a car that was on the cheaper side to work with so i got a street series 370z car. i got in the game a bit late it seems since all the upgrades are discontinued for now. but i did manage to get a bearing and awd upgrade as well as a rim set.
well after having the car a month i notice that the plastic arm(tie rod im guessing) that goes from the steering servo to the control arms has a lot of play in it since it is a plastic part and i was wondering if it is possible to upgrade this to have more precise steering.
i dont plan on competing with this car but in the future i might if the opportunity comes along.
another question:what series of bodies are compatible with the car chassis, i believe the 370 is the longer chassis.

i will also take any suggestions on mods that i can learn about to get me learning more about custom rc. i am very mechanically inclined. i plan on making my way through the stickies a little at a time to see what i can learn.
thx ahead of time, and sorry for the long thread.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:51 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxautox View Post
first off hi all. i am new to xmods and the entire custom rc world. i had tyco rc's growing up but never one i could work on. i wanted a car that was on the cheaper side to work with so i got a street series 370z car. i got in the game a bit late it seems since all the upgrades are discontinued for now. but i did manage to get a bearing and awd upgrade as well as a rim set.
well after having the car a month i notice that the plastic arm(tie rod im guessing) that goes from the steering servo to the control arms has a lot of play in it since it is a plastic part and i was wondering if it is possible to upgrade this to have more precise steering.
i dont plan on competing with this car but in the future i might if the opportunity comes along.
another question:what series of bodies are compatible with the car chassis, i believe the 370 is the longer chassis.

i will also take any suggestions on mods that i can learn about to get me learning more about custom rc. i am very mechanically inclined. i plan on making my way through the stickies a little at a time to see what i can learn.
thx ahead of time, and sorry for the long thread.
Yeah, you can certainly upgrade that.

Red:
http://www.thetoyz.com/cart/thetoyz_...37;20EVO%20CAR

Blue:
http://www.thetoyz.com/cart/thetoyz_...DS%20EVO%20CAR

Well, there is more but just search on www.thetoyz.com

Also, as far as 1/28 scale goes, an xmods is not a true competitor. It could be nice to get started with and have some fun, however, most who decide to start racing at this scale go with the Mini-Z. Its a true hobby grade R/C designed for on track racing.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:00 PM
retired xmodder

Trader Rating: (4)
Send a message via AIM to mycrors4

Hi, welcome to XMS
the 370z is the medium chassis so you get to use most of the bodies(if u have the front clips for them)
look here for body compatability
http://www.atomicmods.com/Categories...atibility.aspx

Check out my B/S/T Thread

Want remixes of some songs... PM me.. I has DJ programing software

Inventor of the idea of using Bob Saget to name R/C parts

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Old 01-27-2010, 09:01 PM
Raycer

Send a message via AIM to brettley Send a message via MSN to brettley

welcome to XMS first of all, and second, i noticed your other question went unanswered, but most Xmod bodies will fit each other, ones i know have with the spacer stock are the 2010 stang, the Z06 vette, and the GTR, those are some of the stock bodies that will fit a stock chassis with a spacer.

2010 Mustang EVO ----- 65 Mustang EVO
Z06 Corvette EVO ------ 350z Gen1
Old 01-28-2010, 06:45 PM

thx for all the help guys. so here's another question, will the evo chassis parts work on my street chassis or just some parts? or are they the same thing with different names?

Last edited by wrxautox; 01-28-2010 at 06:59 PM..
Old 01-28-2010, 06:54 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (4)

they are basicly the same chassis just a couple of small updates were made on the street

o welcome by the way

XMS and XMF february COTM winner
Old 01-29-2010, 11:36 AM

so there is no way a gen 1 body will fit my car? i.e. the skyline or sti body. or do i just get a front clip for them and swap out the rear one from my car?
Old 01-29-2010, 11:58 AM
Xmod Expert

Send a message via AIM to suicide_star Send a message via MSN to suicide_star

Any car will fit onto an evo chassis. For a gen one, all you have to do is shorten/lengthen the chassis to fit the wheel base, put an evo rear clip in, and it's good to go. Xmods can be very competitive with a miniZ, firelap, Iwaver, etc... It all depends on the work done to it and how much money you're willing to spend. I think it's more of an accomplishment to have an Xmod that can smoke miniZ's, over having a nice miniZ. Just my two cents. Welcome to the site bro, always good to have new people. (Especially new people that can type coherent sentences )
Old 01-29-2010, 02:38 PM

Thx again very much for the help and welcome all. I just ordered the aluminum tie rod and wheel nuts. Hopefully in the near future i can find a wrx body for my xmods to match my real car. next i think im gonna do the lith battery upgrade with additional heat sinks to prevent motor "toastage". and i will probably slowly swap out the plastic parts with aluminum parts and also a new chassis and electronics and such. at some point i will go after the motor so can learn more about those too, as i am really new to this rc game. who know maybe i can get this old rc car i got from my uncle working. i just might post up some pics just to see what you guys have to say about that one.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:35 PM
Elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicide_star View Post
Any car will fit onto an evo chassis. For a gen one, all you have to do is shorten/lengthen the chassis to fit the wheel base, put an evo rear clip in, and it's good to go. Xmods can be very competitive with a miniZ, firelap, Iwaver, etc... It all depends on the work done to it and how much money you're willing to spend. I think it's more of an accomplishment to have an Xmod that can smoke miniZ's, over having a nice miniZ. Just my two cents. Welcome to the site bro, always good to have new people. (Especially new people that can type coherent sentences )
The simple fact is. There is not an Xmod that can smoke a race ready Mini-Z MR-03 on an RCP track in any respectable rule set.

To even be respectable on a track your going to need a new PCB. I agree that its fun to mod Xmods, but lets keep it in perspective, they are not competitive race cars when compared to Mini-Zs.

Here is hfay, a standardized online point series for 1/28 scale RC. Xmods are allowed. They never do particularly well. Though, a good drive with an Xmod set up right certainly won't come in last, they also certainly won't come anywhere near first.

http://hfay.tinyrc.com/

Please do not think I'm being negative towards Xmods. They are great for getting started into competitive racing and a whole lot of fun to mod (Not to mention a hell of a lot more affordable).