Go Back   XmodSource.com > Miscellaneous > Real Cars: Full scale
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Old 10-13-2008, 05:28 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (1)
Send a message via AIM to BulletsRain

I'm trying to sell things I have to get money for a car, like my dirtbike, and other things. I would recommend getting a job though. This way you become more responsible, and maybe your grandparents/mom will realize that you do need a car, if they are hauling you to work all the time.
If they are going to get a newer car, ask for the old one. I am trying to get my Mom's old van, if she buys something new. This way I can sell it, and with the extra money I have been saving up, buy me something nice.

Like B1G said, maybe you can do like a half and half deal. You get 3k and they pay 3k, or whatever the cost of the car is.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:11 PM
Proud Supra owner!

Trader Rating: (10)
Send a message via AIM to WhiteMKIV Send a message via MSN to WhiteMKIV Send a message via Yahoo to WhiteMKIV

imo, never buy a car from a car dealer unless its a brand new car. They tax the hell outta of you and scam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPR View Post
that wasnt exactly a good first post....

but im flattered my tool box turns you on
Old 10-13-2008, 06:12 PM
Monte Carlo owner!!!

Trader Rating: (9)
Send a message via AIM to snowboi1289 Send a message via Yahoo to snowboi1289

Dont rush into getting a car. Look around for a good cheap car thats good on gas. When you have enough money to buy the car, or make payments, then you can buy the car. I would recommend, before you actually buy the car, you get insurance ready, and all that other stuff ready. I wasnt all ready, so when I go into a wreck, I had to pay alot to get my car fixed and fix the other car.

When you rush, you usaully forget stuff, then once its to late, you remember what you forget.

Just get a good job, take the bus or get a ride for awhile. Then when you find a nice car, buy it or make payments on it.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:26 PM
Xmod Expert

Trader Rating: (8)
Send a message via AIM to suicide_star Send a message via MSN to suicide_star

my dad gave me an 88 toyota p/u that i treated like gold until i got my first car (bought a 2002 sunfire in 2001). in my opinion, get a job first, show them that you can be responsible. i got my first job when i was 15, made my mom drop me off to work and pick me up, she got mad about that so they made sure they got me a vehicle when i was 16 =P
Old 10-13-2008, 06:39 PM
Advance member

Trader Rating: (0)
Send a message via AIM to imstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMKIV View Post
imo, never buy a car from a car dealer unless its a brand new car. They tax the hell outta of you and scam.
...and how many cars have you bought in your life time? I'm upto 6. lol

16.8 in the quarter mile isn't fast.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:18 PM
Monte Carlo owner!!!

Trader Rating: (9)
Send a message via AIM to snowboi1289 Send a message via Yahoo to snowboi1289

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMKIV View Post
I will aggree, I've met many many different kinds of car dealers, most of them just want to get rid of there cars because of gas prices, no matter if it needs new oil, or steering fluid, they will sell it. The best way to go, is get the car checked out from a known car shop.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:10 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25

Like you kids have bought from a dealer right? While I will say my experience with Carmax was nothing but trouble, I will say many dealers try their **** best with quality. As someone who has worked with prepping used cars for dealerships and watching the work of others, I promise that if it's a dealer certified car by a well known dealership, far more often then not it's been properly inspected, and taken care of. Why would a dealership screw you over when your their income, especially in these times?

Craigslist, go on and start searching. I can say two things though about buying 1st cars, as I have two... Buying a project fixer uper is the **** cheapest way to go if you don't mind the time and work needed to put into it, so long as you assess what your getting yourself into. But in retrospect, The CST10 will only cost 3k max to get on the road, including the cost of the truck. What else can you buy for 3k at a used car lot? A POS old Civic, or maybe a Ford Tauras, both of which would be in rough shape more then likely, and would be as vanilla as it gets.

Not going for a full out project? Find something that only needs some simple work to get back on the road. In my hunt for a sub-$500 LeMons car, I found many nice cars that people were selling off cheap with something as simple as a blown head gasket. I'm talking under 1k. Head gaskets on many older cars are not a huge major undertaking with some buddies and the right set of tools. Lots of cars with dropped trannies that I can junkyard for under 500 easy. Or again hit craigslist for what you need. Firebird, 770 for shipping from CA to TX, 256 in fuel injectors, 8 for a reflector, 76 for a head light motor, 57 for a water pump, and 30 something for an oil pan. Did the work myself and I have a nice daily driver, that's fun to drive and can get decent gas mileage (not that it matters in TX, it's cheap gas).

Both are examples of buying non-runing used, and getting them going on the cheap. Search for the good deals and know what your getting yourself into, and you'll be on the road sooner then you think. Plus, finding yourself a nice classic gets some cool points for not having something that 30 other girls in your school have.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 10-13-2008, 09:34 PM
Advance member

Trader Rating: (2)

loll how old are you? i mean alot of kids around 16 want a car but i dont think most of them understand the money and such that it takes i mean yes you will have a car but then you gota buy tires oil changes gas(its kinda high) you have to keep it in good running order plus you have to use your head when driving i mean just cuz you have a car doesnt mean you can leave the house when you want lol(i thought i could) but the fact is you might have a car at 16 but that doesnt mean you can do anything mopre than work or school and maybe a mall or movie trip here and there your till under 18 and can be told to keep it parked and the really bad thing is you have to listen to them and kiss *** bad cuz they can and im sure will take your keys if you get outa hand or get into trouble and such lol but thats just my thoughs so think about it lol do you really wnt to go threw all that?????

ps im on my cell sorry for the poor grammer and wording lol
Old 10-13-2008, 09:36 PM
Owner of a 1992 Accord.

Send a message via AIM to youngxmodder Send a message via MSN to youngxmodder Send a message via Yahoo to youngxmodder

i wouldn't rush into getting a car. you may think its cool but it shouldn't be the first thing on your list. and i would suggest that you get a job first of all so you can show your parent that you can stand on your own two feet. then you should talk to your parent about going to the insurance agent for the steer clear program where they talk about the safety and responsibility of driving a car. once you go to that they tell you that if you get 3.0 average or (like b average during school or something like that) they give you a discount and if you go to this program they give you a discount on that too. i went to it back in june and we looked at the price for insurance for my 95 chevy pickup when he showed us the price we were in shock it was 1000 for a teen to drive the truck but when he put the discounts in it cut it in half but when you drive safe and have no tickets or accidents they add discounts little by little. that is what they talked to me about. if they let you get a car try not to spend to much you think that " oh that cars ugly oh its to cheap" but sometimes you might get a decent car if you try in school and show them you can handle the real world with a job and keeping your grades up. when my dad and i when to look at cars he showed me a old POS car and said i don't want it then he said " as long as it runs its a good car" take that in to consideration. hope that helped maybe it did maybe it didn't just wanted to let you know. keep in mind the maintenance of the car tires, oil, broken parts in the future, and especially gas. you may be at the age that you want a car and drive alone but take it slow the main reason for teen accidents is because how unprepared we are.

Last edited by youngxmodder; 10-13-2008 at 09:39 PM..
Old 10-13-2008, 09:39 PM
Banned

Trader Rating: (14)
Send a message via AIM to xmodificationer Send a message via Yahoo to xmodificationer

get off your *** and get a job.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:21 PM
Xmod Expert

Send a message via AIM to suicide_star Send a message via MSN to suicide_star

how can a dealership "tax the hell out of you"? they can't tax you any more than the state/fed sales taxes and license/registration fees. also, they're not going to try and screw you usually because of state lemon laws and fear for a bad reputation. if you have a bad rep, it gets around fast and soon you'll be shut down. so most dealerships strive for quality. if you're not sure about a car, use CARFAX to check it out and if you're still skeptical, get a licencsed mechanic to inspect it before you buy it.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:51 AM
Advance member

Send a message via AIM to imstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicide_star View Post
how can a dealership "tax the hell out of you"? they can't tax you any more than the state/fed sales taxes and license/registration fees. also, they're not going to try and screw you usually because of state lemon laws and fear for a bad reputation. if you have a bad rep, it gets around fast and soon you'll be shut down. so most dealerships strive for quality. if you're not sure about a car, use CARFAX to check it out and if you're still skeptical, get a licencsed mechanic to inspect it before you buy it.
My family has purchased 5 vehicles from Carmax, my In-Laws have purchased at least 4 from them as well. I am driving one of the five my family purchased still. Never had an issue that was resolved to our satisfaction. People who say don't buy from a dealer either got screwed because they didn't do their own research about the vehicle, or watch to much TV.

16.8 in the quarter mile isn't fast.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:43 PM
auto body tech

Trader Rating: (14)
Send a message via Yahoo to spitfire

ive always bought from a private seller.
but ive never had any experience with a dealer, but i will in about a month.
Old 10-14-2008, 04:17 PM
SPR

i havnt taken the time to read the entire thread, but i noticed one post that says you cant get a job. so question.

even if you could get a car, but you cant work. how do you exspect to be able to drive it.

gas
insurance
maintnence like:
oil changes every 3 months (20-80 bucks every time)
Brake jobs (200 bucks)
replacing bulbs that burn out
air filters

plus when stuff brakes.

how do you exspect all that to get taken care of with out a job and money?
Old 10-14-2008, 04:25 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25

Quote:
Originally Posted by imstock View Post
My family has purchased 5 vehicles from Carmax, my In-Laws have purchased at least 4 from them as well. I am driving one of the five my family purchased still. Never had an issue that was resolved to our satisfaction. People who say don't buy from a dealer either got screwed because they didn't do their own research about the vehicle, or watch to much TV.
It was more on the matter of the 2001 Saturn L200 that they sold to us made it through Carmax, with out any of the very obvious recalls being fixed on the car. Wiring harness to the tail lights, and some under-hood parts. Car also need a good bit of repair work less than year later to parts that are "covered" under their inspection, obvious signs of wear would have been found. In my one case with our one local Carmax dealership, it wasn't grand. But I'm not writing off the whole dealership chain either because of 1 car at 1 dealership.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 10-14-2008, 04:37 PM
Freedom Provider

Send a message via Yahoo to XmodzICON82

i think having your own car is a big deal, with gas prices going up and down, and the insurance(depending on age). i was 22 when i got my first car but i had to pay for it, as well as my brother...as for my sister my parents bought her car and paid for her insurance which is ridiculous in my opinion...but i can say/do anything about that....but somehow i think that your grandparents and mother are not understanding that you want to get a job so you can get your own car...and if it's due to grades then you can let them know that if your grades start to go south then you will give up driving until they do come back up...

Quote:
(xmodification)offer alittle to them once you start making some extra cash (you don't want to make them think that you'll be selfishly working and keeping it all to yourself).
and i have to disagree with u on this one xmodification...if her grandfather makes over 100k a year like she says then y give them any money if her grandfather is daddy warbucks without being nice and all....the decision is ultimately up to you model...good luck.....
Old 10-14-2008, 04:48 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (1)

i think that they think that you are no where close to your age so they treat you like a little kid . happened to me with a cell phone
OR
they think that their little girl can't work and be out in the cold, mean thing we call the world by her self. this didn't happen to me

my 0.02 cents
Old 10-14-2008, 05:33 PM
MEOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

respect your parents/guardians believe it or not they are right 99% of the time. But when you learn this your self it is usually too late.

I say your young. A NICE SAFE RELIABLE vehicle is going to run your life if you have to get a part time job. Your pay check will go to the car and hardly any thing else. Its not worth working during all of your free time, believe me you will have the rest of your life to work once you get older.

Be patient a car will come some day soon(the closer I get to 30, soon gets closer to years).
Old 10-14-2008, 06:59 PM
Proud Supra owner!

Trader Rating: (10)
Send a message via AIM to WhiteMKIV Send a message via MSN to WhiteMKIV Send a message via Yahoo to WhiteMKIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by imstock View Post
...and how many cars have you bought in your life time? I'm upto 6. lol
3, a dodge rampage, 85 delta 88 and my sl2.... all bought for 1k and under
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPR View Post
that wasnt exactly a good first post....

but im flattered my tool box turns you on