Go Back   XmodSource.com > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Old 08-27-2007, 01:35 AM
Xmod Expert

Trader Rating: (0)

Dude, that sucks... I know my dad's 2002 Dakota has some chip thing in the key that tells the ignition whether its an authentic key or not. If the chip is NOT detected, the moment you step on the gas the engine cuts off.

Sorry to hear man... Hide your iPod next time... I use a wireless FM transmitter on my 30gig video, so right after I park the car, I shut off the radio and pull my iPod out and stuff it in my pocket.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:45 AM
MEOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Trader Rating: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrkt View Post
Sorry to prove you wrong on this one Texan but you can get duplicate keys for any vehicle (even ones that have a chipped key) they will open the doors,BUT will not allow you to start the vehicle. I know I have one for our '01 Durango that we keep hidden just in case we accidently lock the keys in it. will get a pic of it when I get home from work tomorrow and post it here (showing both keys)
And I have replace the key on the Durango twice when we lost them WITHOUT having all the stuff you said you needed with GM, all I did was take it in to the dealer and they programmed a new key from the car itself using a laptop computer.
sounds like a shotty part department to me, all the dealers in my area (GM, ford, Chrysler and so on..) requirer a valid ID, and current registration. You don't need the title as long as the id matches the name on the reg. Also the reason they need the VIN is so they can know what profile to cut the key to. Also GM can only cut keys for cars with 17 digit VINS that would be 1981ish and newer.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:14 AM
Banned

Trader Rating: (14)
Send a message via AIM to xmodificationer Send a message via Yahoo to xmodificationer

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrkt View Post
Sorry to prove you wrong on this one Texan but you can get duplicate keys for any vehicle (even ones that have a chipped key) they will open the doors,BUT will not allow you to start the vehicle. I know I have one for our '01 Durango that we keep hidden just in case we accidently lock the keys in it. will get a pic of it when I get home from work tomorrow and post it here (showing both keys)
And I have replace the key on the Durango twice when we lost them WITHOUT having all the stuff you said you needed with GM, all I did was take it in to the dealer and they programmed a new key from the car itself using a laptop computer.
YES!!!! that is completly right! my parents 2007 Ram and 2006 Durango have the chipped key, and you CAN get a duplicate but it CANNOT start the car its just to open the car
Old 08-27-2007, 11:06 AM
Banned

Trader Rating: (20)

I saw something on ebay last night that anyone can get for other peoples cars, the lovely keyless entry system. they only have 10000 codes for every car.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:02 PM
Advance member

Trader Rating: (2)
Send a message via AIM to V8lover411

last time my cousin left his car doors open in his 95 bmw 3 series we never saw it again
Old 08-27-2007, 05:50 PM
That's what she said.

Trader Rating: (1)

that's why you have to put ur truck IN the garage
Old 08-27-2007, 10:28 PM
Observer (for now) :)

Trader Rating: (15)
Send a message via Yahoo to XMODification

**** dude - you don't have an alarm on your truck or what? I know how it feels to have your stuff stolen from your vehicle indeed. I had alomost a similar situation a while back - someone broke into my Neon by busting out the back window and all they stole was a portable CD player that was on the passenger seat - that's all thay took too!. It cost me $100 to replace the broken window and the **** CD player was only worth $20 or less.

When I was younger I wasn't so fortunate though - I had my step-dad's toyota pick-up truck for a weekend trip. I was way out of my home town and during the last night of my trip someone busted out the slidding back glass and stole the sound system - the indash CD player, my cds plus they ate my cookies and drank a bottle of vodka that I had in the globe copartment ( those suckers really had a good time stealing my stuff). Anyways, it was about $1000 worth of stuff that they took but I was kinda lucky in way - they didn't pull back the seat otherwise they would have gotten to the Duel 12" speakers/woofers in the back and they didn't look under the seat either - they would have found the sony 1000 watt amp and the other 500 watt mini amp if they did. . I had along silent trip home - (which almost cause to fall asleepat the wheel becasue of that ) Anyways, my experinces all though me one thing - be sure to lock your car good and have a loud a$$ alarm system too just incase.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:27 AM
[Not-your-day] - Badass

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to noturday

yeah X i have 3 Alpine Type E 12s, a RockfordFosgate 900W amp, an Alpine 240W doorspeaker amp, 4 Alpine Type S 6.5" door speakers, and an Alpine headunit with ipod connection (which they unplugged the ipod from) and all they wanted was the ipod apparently, oh well, i got new tires today so that made up for the missing ipod, plus i have my old ipod mini to tide me over until i get a new video one

Team XI