Go Back   XmodSource.com > Miscellaneous > Real Cars: Full scale
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Old 10-14-2009, 07:54 PM
Advance member

Trader Rating: (0)
Default Surgeon's New Ride: 1968 Ford Falcon

I decided that it was a good time for me to get out of a car payment, so the G is out the door, here is my new ride, a 1968 Ford Falcon 2 door post. I bought it about two weeks ago, and it has been cold and rainy ever since, today it cleared up a little bit, so I took the old car out for an impromptu photo shoot.

And one from the day I got it(camera phone):

As you can see it has the original straight 6 and 2 speed, so I intend to swap it over for a 302 and C4 transmission- for now it gets good gas mileage and has reliability. I found some centerlines and tires at a steal on Craigslist, so the wheels were upgraded for now, I intend to go with chrome torque thrusts when I switch to 5 lug and disc brakes.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:09 PM
Xmod Expert

Trader Rating: (8)
Send a message via AIM to winner

wow congrats man! does it have a posi rear end?

XBL Gamer Tag : Roar Pants
Old 10-14-2009, 08:09 PM
ROTFLSHMSFOAIDMT

Trader Rating: (24)
Send a message via AIM to TheB1GDude Send a message via MSN to TheB1GDude

Nice... thats a sharp looking ride dude... bet the ladies like it

Can I ask how much it was??

Duct Tape is like the force:- it has a light side and a dark side and it binds the universe together.....
Old 10-14-2009, 08:25 PM
Advance member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winner View Post
wow congrats man! does it have a posi rear end?
Thanks, to be honest I am not sure, I haven't been able to lock it up, so maybe not- but the original 6 is only 110hp with a 2 speed....so it may not have the gusto. When I do a 302 swap I am going to upgrade the rear either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheB1GDude View Post

Thanks. It all depends, modern girls don't have an appreciation for classics, and thus with the 18-25 demograph it doesn't get a lot of looks; however with the older women, they love it.

It ran me back 3950$. The guy had it listed for awhile at 4500$, and he lived off in the boonies, I looked at a few others first, saw this one and told him I would be back the next day with the money. It was an absolute steal, the gentleman I purchased it from restores older cars for a living/hobby, so it was taken care of properly, plus seldom drove as he had 15+/- cars.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:46 PM
ROTFLSHMSFOAIDMT

Trader Rating: (24)
Send a message via AIM to TheB1GDude Send a message via MSN to TheB1GDude

Wow nice steal... plus there aint nothing wrong with an older lady... especially if they are rich

Duct Tape is like the force:- it has a light side and a dark side and it binds the universe together.....
Old 10-14-2009, 11:15 PM
Xmod Expert

Send a message via AIM to suicide_star Send a message via MSN to suicide_star

Nice find. Great idea getting out of a car note by snatching a classic car.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:27 PM
dirtlover/moderator

Trader Rating: (14)

congrats man...beautiful car in a beautiful color...i'm sure you will have fun with her...the mrs and i are eyeing a 68 cougar...you may have just given us a kick in the butt we needed...good luck with your new ride

Team X.I.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:31 AM
XMS ADMINISTRATOR

Trader Rating: (17)

Nice ride! The color looks real good and I am glad to see that you lucked up on a classic like this that has received good treatment. I like the wheels that are on it now; they set the car off.
My XMODS
Proud member of Team NCXR

WANTED: Gen. 1 cf Chassis Upgrade (just parts from the upgrade will do fine)
Old 10-15-2009, 07:59 AM
the torqueinator

Trader Rating: (1)
Send a message via AIM to kendallcschm

forget the 302 go for a 351W or sumthin :-D way more fun :-P

'65 Drag Mustang

mods to be made:
pro street rims
some sort of suspension upgrade (message me if you have suggestions)
soft drag slicks

Titan:

mods to be made:
CF driveshaft
composite driveshaft gears
Old 10-15-2009, 01:06 PM
Advance member

Quote:
Wow nice steal... plus there aint nothing wrong with an older lady... especially if they are rich
Well, my girlfriend is almost 4 years my senior, but she isn't rich...yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicide_star View Post
Nice find. Great idea getting out of a car note by snatching a classic car.
Yeah, I was looking at cars in my cash range, and for this price you couldn't get a decent modern car...plus it will never depreciate any further in value. I see it as a sound investment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloydfanYodaman View Post
congrats man...beautiful car in a beautiful color...i'm sure you will have fun with her...the mrs and i are eyeing a 68 cougar...you may have just given us a kick in the butt we needed...good luck with your new ride
If the cougar doesn't work out, check out that same year in Comet's. The Comet is mine's sister car, it has a lot of the same styling as the cougar, but is much lighter...with my car's set up I am actually getting better gas mileage than I did with the infiniti.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFTKO View Post
Nice ride! The color looks real good and I am glad to see that you lucked up on a classic like this that has received good treatment. I like the wheels that are on it now; they set the car off.
Thanks man. I like the wheels a lot to, but right now its a 4-lug, when I go with the disc brake conversion it will switch to 5 lug. I should be able to find some of these on the cheap....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendallcschm View Post
forget the 302 go for a 351W or sumthin :-D way more fun :-P
This is true, but the car is very very original. To do a motor swap, I really want something that was an original option on the car...so the 289 or 302 would be the best bet. I have found 302's with the C4 transmission for 500$ all day on craigslist. My thoughts are buying the ones I want, building it slowly in the garage and then doing the swap. The first step is getting the stopping power up to par.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:34 PM
Elite member

Quote:

LOL most girls don't know what that thing is. Hell, I'm into cars and I don't even know. Then again, I'm not really good with old cars since I work on forced air induction Mitsubishi cars.

I showed my girlfriend the car and asked her how it made her feel. She responded with one word, "bad".

Though, I understand, everyone likes cars of their own interest, I think a new eclipse would pull more girls. At least where I am from.
If I showed my stepfather. He'd probably love it. He has two old 1950 chevy coupes in the garage hes restoring/combining into one.

Last edited by Action B; 10-15-2009 at 02:38 PM..
Old 10-15-2009, 02:40 PM
the torqueinator

Trader Rating: (1)
Send a message via AIM to kendallcschm

lol i guess if you want to keep the originality then go for the 302.. id still rather have a 351W

'65 Drag Mustang

mods to be made:
pro street rims
some sort of suspension upgrade (message me if you have suggestions)
soft drag slicks

Titan:

mods to be made:
CF driveshaft
composite driveshaft gears
Old 10-15-2009, 02:57 PM
Stage 1 member

Quote:
Originally Posted by surgeon View Post
If the cougar doesn't work out, check out that same year in Comet's. The Comet is mine's sister car, it has a lot of the same styling as the cougar, but is much lighter...with my car's set up I am actually getting better gas mileage than I did with the infiniti.
I like the look of that Comet!

Really have to wonder how far the technology has really advanced as far as gas mileage.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:36 PM
Advance member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action B View Post
LOL most girls don't know what that thing is. Hell, I'm into cars and I don't even know. Then again, I'm not really good with old cars since I work on forced air induction Mitsubishi cars.

I showed my girlfriend the car and asked her how it made her feel. She responded with one word, "bad".

Though, I understand, everyone likes cars of their own interest, I think a new eclipse would pull more girls. At least where I am from.
If I showed my stepfather. He'd probably love it. He has two old 1950 chevy coupes in the garage hes restoring/combining into one.
True, but if you drove an eclipse you'd be made fun of for driving a girls car. Pulling women doesn't have anything to do with what car you drive, unless you exclusively date sonic girls, but rather an overall attitude and appeal. One of my buddies, for example, drives a ragged out 4 door focus missing 3 hubcaps, and he pulls more tail than a toilet seat. I guess what I am trying to say is buy a car you like, don't get stuck in an Eclipse/Miata/New Beetle/other girl car just to pick up chicks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendallcschm View Post
lol i guess if you want to keep the originality then go for the 302.. id still rather have a 351W
Ehh... to each his own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky7 View Post
I like the look of that Comet!

Really have to wonder how far the technology has really advanced as far as gas mileage.
The Comets are cool, the 65 is my fav. year of that car, but the rarest to find. It had a front end like a GTO....which I am really fond of.

The problem is, most cars now are having to put TONS of BS safety features into them, as well as all kinds of crap you don't need. All of that really weighs them down. My car, for example, weighs 2700 lbs, and it is solid. All steel, all real, the Scion TC weighs 3200 lbs, and that is all the plastic crap and what-not.
Old 10-20-2009, 04:17 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25

You now have six appeal. Find it as a proper filter for women. If they don't like it, do you really want to spend a ton of time with her *****ing about it?

Clean ride, I knew one day you'd turn to the dark side. But, just about any American straight 6 will run longer than the car. They were ridiculously tough, with most coming from truck motors. And by design they are better than they're V counter parts too. Plus, since no body hot rods a sixer (often), the cars are well taken care of. And on the topic of weight, would you believe my truck is close to the weight of a Challenger?

I think the strangest compliment I had in the CST10 was from a Cougar who drove a Jaguar, and I quote "I love your truck, real nice... I married the last guy who drove one of those". To say that I had no clever response is not enough.

But using a classic as a daily driver is wonderful, and truly a bit of an eyeopening experience as I meet and talk to many people who otherwise I'd probably have no initiative or business to speak to. And using it in delivery expands that even further. Every race, back ground, class, age. Men with turbans and men with their pants below their thighs. White trash to white collar. And some of the stories I hear out of it are even better. I was once tipped by a man $30. He used to own a '72 with the big block 369 "400", and a 4 speed stick. He said that in the 1st 15 minutes of owning it, he accumulated 7 tickets. I don't care how nice your Corvette is, how low your Ranger can go, or how fast you made that WRX, you will never get the experience that an old piece of iron gets.

Oh, and TT-II's are played out more than wings on hondas. Get the TTO like you have there. It's a fat-spoke and lip design that unlike the TTII, has some real heritage to the 60s.

My next Dallas trip I want to see it... Dunno if I'll put the CST10 threw another 3-4 hour 3K rpm journey though. It was not amused..

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere

Last edited by texan_idiot25; 10-20-2009 at 04:25 PM..
Old 10-20-2009, 05:27 PM
Advance member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan_idiot25 View Post
You now have six appeal. Find it as a proper filter for women. If they don't like it, do you really want to spend a ton of time with her *****ing about it?

I say, two hours exploring the freedom and liberties of bench seating should do the trick. Plus all I have is AM, which is mostly 50's love songs and Rythm and Blues... It's a mood setter.

Clean ride, I knew one day you'd turn to the dark side. But, just about any American straight 6 will run longer than the car. They were ridiculously tough, with most coming from truck motors. And by design they are better than they're V counter parts too. Plus, since no body hot rods a sixer (often), the cars are well taken care of. And on the topic of weight, would you believe my truck is close to the weight of a Challenger?

Yeah, it's funny to think that they are so polluting the cars with safety features that the "Old muscle cars is heavier" argument holds little water nowadays.

I think the strangest compliment I had in the CST10 was from a Cougar who drove a Jaguar, and I quote "I love your truck, real nice... I married the last guy who drove one of those". To say that I had no clever response is not enough.

The ackward cougar experience....my fav. isn't friendly to the family forum.

But using a classic as a daily driver is wonderful, and truly a bit of an eyeopening experience as I meet and talk to many people who otherwise I'd probably have no initiative or business to speak to. And using it in delivery expands that even further. Every race, back ground, class, age. Men with turbans and men with their pants below their thighs. White trash to white collar. And some of the stories I hear out of it are even better. I was once tipped by a man $30. He used to own a '72 with the big block 369 "400", and a 4 speed stick. He said that in the 1st 15 minutes of owning it, he accumulated 7 tickets. I don't care how nice your Corvette is, how low your Ranger can go, or how fast you made that WRX, you will never get the experience that an old piece of iron gets.
This is true, I can't stop for a pack of smokes without getting into a conversation with someone about it.

Oh, and TT-II's are played out more than wings on hondas. Get the TTO like you have there. It's a fat-spoke and lip design that unlike the TTII, has some real heritage to the 60s.

You mean like this? I mean, I just posted the basic style, and chrome really pops on the paint, so it will probably be chrome either way. I also like some modern rims on older cars, but I want to keep this one era-specific.

My next Dallas trip I want to see it... Dunno if I'll put the CST10 threw another 3-4 hour 3K rpm journey though. It was not amused..

Let me know next time you are in the area with the truck, group photoshoot! Especially if we get around Denton, the city is really big on preserving the older buildings/areas.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:53 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25

Quote:
Originally Posted by surgeon View Post
Let me know next time you are in the area with the truck, group photoshoot! Especially if we get around Denton, the city is really big on preserving the older buildings/areas.
PM me the cougar story.

Yes those wheels, the TTOs, even in chrome, look nice and have vintage roots. Same wheels that SS has on his S10Blazer. I'm a fan of the gun metal, personally, but even the chrome would look good. Seperates the car from the same-old-crap. Like flow-masters and pickups...

Oh yes, the posibilities of the full bench seat. Big wide and oh so comfortable.

Might be this summer before I take the truck back to dallas. A 3 speed auto, and 4.10 rear end is not highway cruising material, and it was heat soaking like mad from running up to 3,000 rpm for the 4 hour drive, 12 hour round trip. Maybe this summer I'll have an OD trans and fuel injection. 400 fuel injected horses.

I can dream.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 11-02-2009, 07:54 PM
Advance member

Been playing with some ideas in my head, Blacked out the grill,hood, and wheels and added tint.....what'd'you guys think? Suggestions/ideas welcome.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:59 PM
Xmod Expert

Send a message via AIM to winner

i'd of left it witgh the original look, mainly because i think for the older cars stock is the way to go, but thats just my $0.02

the car looks great never the less!

XBL Gamer Tag : Roar Pants
Old 11-02-2009, 08:02 PM
Advance member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winner View Post
i'd of left it witgh the original look, mainly because i think for the older cars stock is the way to go, but thats just my $0.02

the car looks great never the less!
This is just a photoshop of ideas, but I don't plan on doing anything that can't be taken back to original condition easily. I've got the original wheels and hubs in the garage and every part that gets updated will be kept on hand.