Go Back   XmodSource.com > Miscellaneous > Real Cars: Full scale
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2008, 07:57 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25
Default In review, 1989 Chrysler New Yorker

I just need to write somethin'.

It's slow. It's a grandmother's car. It has a pocket for holding tissues. The paint is perfect. It's low miles. It's the 1989 Chrysler New Yorker, Landau Edition.

In 1989, this was the finest the then dying Chrysler, could offer. It was based on the company saving Chrysler K-Car platform, and shared many parts with many Mitsubishis (3.0 SOHC V6). But the style, the comfort, the presence was all American.

Though small in proportions, it is big in presence. The bold up right chrome grille, hidden headlights, and bricked out Landau roof line all make it stand out in today's aerodynamic soap bars. While many of the other 80's land barges shared this style, not as many pulled it off as simply and cleanly as the little New Yorker did with simple styling and small hints of chrome along the car. Vynal landau roofs were just pimp in the 80s, though I'm think vynal should stay on the seats... Those wonderful, wonderful seats.

Power for the car is from a small, but rather peppy 3.0L Single Over Head Cam Mitsubishi V6, an engine that is still used (though vastly updated) in the late model Eclipses. For the car's hefty weight, the 3.0L pulls suprisingly well through out the full RPM range, feeling even faster than my Firebird, or maybe that's because driving a brick that bounces feels fast over every thing.

Slip in the key, turn it over, and the silent V6 settles down to a little hum, and the full digital guages greet you with a fancy full-sweep test. Slid the heavy column shifter down, and roll out.

Handling? You truly don't drive this car, you give it a suggestion of where to go, and you just hope it goes there too.

Throttle is weightless, steering is non resistant, brakes are numb. You aim that proud Pentastar ahead and hope for the best in a hard corner. But, it's stupid fun, I mean really stupid fun. The car flops and leans and bounces over everything, while any bump in the road is absorbed easily. Even once you have stopped, you can watch out the hood line and see the nose of the car bounce up and down a few times more. Speed bumps are non existant, car simply wears off the impact in a few slow sways of the suspension. It's awesome. Going from the "I feel the painted stripes in the road" to "Hell, I don't even feel the child I just ran over" is a grand. The car doesn't like to be pushed fast, but compliments you greatly for cruising along.

The 80s was a helluva time for techonology, as evident by the Cell Phone, the Home PC, the Atari, and even the Compact Disk. And just about any modern computer feature you now think is standard now days, even for a KIA, was ground breaking back in 1989.

Power seats (with 2 driver memory)
Power mirrors
Power locks
Remote entry and trunk
Self Adjusting AC/Heater
Self Leveling ride
An information screen that tells you what bulb is burned out, what temp it is outside, what direction your going, what your average and instant MPG, tire pressure monitoring, engine management, and oil life meter.
Full digital dash
-and many more

There is a wealth of digital toys that we are just now making standard in cars today, that the New Yorker showed off in the 80s.

And the magic. The best reason one should ever own a 1980s land barge. God **** laz-y-boy bench seats. You slide in, slump down, and the deep vynal swallows your body in pure comfort. Seats won't hold you in a corner (trust me), by my god are they heaven to sit in. They invite you to sit down, and just cruise. Back seat leg room is enormous, and I remember sitting 4 kids wide in the back of that thing while still being absolutely comfortable. The Infinity sound system still is crisp and clear, and a nice touch to Limo-status: The rear passenger have a private head phone jack on the rear package deck, providing them with their own music.

It's slow, it's bouncy, it's smooth, it's luxury, and it was driven for 20 years to the beauty shop and grocery store by an old lady.

It's a 1989 Chysler New Yorker. And it's a helluva lotta awesome.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere

Last edited by texan_idiot25; 10-12-2008 at 08:00 PM..
Old 10-12-2008, 08:40 PM
The Original S.S.

Trader Rating: (2)
Send a message via AIM to SUPERSHELBY Send a message via Yahoo to SUPERSHELBY

and the bidding shall start at 20k...do i hear 21k?

my uncle has 1...dunno if he still has it or not...its burgandy (sp?)

Old 10-12-2008, 08:47 PM
Banned

Trader Rating: (3)

(sp means?) XD and its a nice car over all...Even though i wouldnt bid over 7k for it..If i won the bid it would be a Donked-up.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:09 PM
XMS Administrator

Being completely serious here Tex, what are your plans for life? what do you want to do? because if writing is in any way part of it you'll do fine.

@hummer, (sp) is spelling, you could use some help
Old 10-12-2008, 09:11 PM

Trader Rating: (22)
Send a message via AIM to 123Vette Send a message via Yahoo to 123Vette

what are you psoting this for it for sale?

and alot of cars of this time were great. My friends had a 87 oldsmobile with nthe nice seat and all digital it ws so sweet.... (he has a 1986 caprice now) i love them dma interiors soooooo comffy
Old 10-12-2008, 09:14 PM
Banned

^^ And i need (sp?) XD Anyways this is a wonderful car for an older person..my uncle had a blue one...it was wrecked so...
Old 10-12-2008, 09:17 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (1)
Send a message via AIM to BulletsRain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX9RBART View Post
Oh that made me laugh.

That car is in a very good condition! Its not a bad little car.

I agree Tex, you should become a writer.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:18 PM
XMS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Vette View Post
what are you psoting this for it for sale?
At the top he says he just needed something to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMMER H4 View Post
^^ And i need (sp?)
I was just joking, hence the >>>
Old 10-12-2008, 09:24 PM
Forum Idiot

Send a message via AIM to Sweed Send a message via Yahoo to Sweed

Looks like something my grandma would drive...
"Save us, oh lord, from the wrath of the Norsemen"
Old 10-13-2008, 02:43 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERSHELBY View Post
and the bidding shall start at 20k...do i hear 21k?

my uncle has 1...dunno if he still has it or not...its burgandy (sp?)
It's a Chrysler K-Car lmao, it ain't worth 20k

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX9RBART View Post
Being completely serious here Tex, what are your plans for life? what do you want to do? because if writing is in any way part of it you'll do fine.

Automotive/Mechanical engineering, guess journalism should go in too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
Looks like something my grandma would drive...
It's my Great-Grandma's. You should ride in it, it's a hella fun to make fast maneuvers.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 10-13-2008, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan_idiot25 View Post
It's my Great-Grandma's. You should ride in it, it's a hella fun to make fast maneuvers.
hmmmmm somthing tells me these fast maneuers dont happen when your great grandmother is driving lol, unless you speaking of old peoples veiw of fast (anything higher then 5 below the speed limit) haha
Old 10-13-2008, 07:44 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Vette View Post
hmmmmm somthing tells me these fast maneuers dont happen when your great grandmother is driving lol, unless you speaking of old peoples veiw of fast (anything higher then 5 below the speed limit) haha
The car was over here this weekend, she was not. I had to go make an oil run and get some air in the tires. Emergency lane changes are met with globs of body roll, once the brakes do decide to stop, quick stops are met with a nose dive and then it bobs in place (infact, it's always bobbing after you stop, no matter how hard), and it leans and sways and bounces over the road. Not in a "I'm gonna die" way like a truck with worn shocks, but in the most comfortable way imaginable.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:04 PM

hahahaha my friend caprice does that in the im going to die way i think the sway bars are just plain gone lol
Old 10-13-2008, 10:02 PM
Banned

Trader Rating: (14)
Send a message via AIM to xmodificationer Send a message via Yahoo to xmodificationer

my saturn sl2 will beat it...
Old 10-14-2008, 04:28 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmodificationer View Post
my saturn sl2 will beat it...
Obviously not the point whiteMKIV.

Old 10-14-2008, 05:32 PM
Banned

Trader Rating: (14)
Send a message via AIM to xmodificationer Send a message via Yahoo to xmodificationer

so this is your 3rd car? by 20 you will have 15
Old 10-14-2008, 05:50 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmodificationer View Post
so this is your 3rd car? by 20 you will have 15
Lol, not my car; though she has sworn off driving, my 90 year old great grandma won't sell us her New Yorker. I have fond memories with family in it, and it's a hoot to drive for all the opposite reasons one would normally want to drive a car. It takes it's pride in being slow, and is so comfortable doing it.

The 2nd part, if I had money, I would have a lot more projects. Just wait until I buy a home w/ some land.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:36 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Ahem. Mine.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:24 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (0)

Nice addition to the garage.