Go Back   XmodSource.com > Xmods > XMOD Appearance > Member XMOD RC Garages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2009, 05:17 PM
Drift maniac

Trader Rating: (7)
Default WhiteCharisma's Garage

tayyab wanted me to post this i think. i did this on another forum about a month ago. it was a comparison between a gen 1 converted with a micro-t board (xmod-t) and an evo car with an iwaver board (x-waver). this is pretty much a reference for watever way you wana go with hobby grade stuff.

i thought i'd try to make a front bevel one more time for my lancer. this time i took my time and i did A LOT of cutting to make it fit just right. it took longer than it should have, almost 2 hrs lol but it gave my Gen 1 Xmod-t car AWD and im really happy with it. Now i have 2 xmod touring cars because i found out how to make my X-waver work better on the track. here are the final specs of each car, these cars are 100% DONE!
EVO Subaru Impreza STI:
I-waver board with 4562 FETs
I-waver servo motor
new Potentiometer
S1 motor
AWD GPM drivetrain except the Rear diff.(stock) and front diff is locked to work properly without slipping
Shielded bearings
Lowering arms
GPM front knuckles
Red springs all around
Black NSX rims with soft slicks in front and hard treaded in rear(thats what fixed the track problem)
4.5 degree tie rod (helped the track problem)
wheel shims

Gen 1 car Lancer Evo 8:
Micro T board
Micro T servo
stock 2x2 FET (i think.....)
AWD GPM drivetrain
GPM tie rod
XI adjustable strut bars
Mini-z AWD rims (0 offset narrow in front, 0 offset wide in rear)
PN racing rcp slick 15 degree in front, GPM A tread Wide 25 degree tires in rear
stock silver springs
Custom Lowered battery cases
chassis has all drooping parts cut off
S1 motor
Shielded bearings

now has AWD

i couldn't be happier with the result of these 2 cars

And now the comparison of these 2 cars

STI vs EVO
Alright, ive been driving these two cars a lot lately to see which one is better, an EVO hobby grade or Gen 1 hobby grade. Dont start a flame war, this is just my opinion, these are both great cars and i love them. Here are some pics before the comparison

notice the front wheels. the impreza's wheel looks turned more because of the tie rod but.....

the inside wheel isnt turned as much. the lancer's inside wheel is turned more than the outside.

And just to show, how low the Gen 1 batteries are now compared to an EVO car with lowering arms

STI test:
(w/KT-5 mini z remote)Well, this car is amazing compared to the new xmod street cars. the response in turning is simply amazing. It didn't turn on a dime at first when i drove it, but with some modifications it was making it around my track so fast i was getting dizzy after 10 laps LOL Anyway, an X-waver mod to the EVO is definitely great, but........it doesnt win over the gen 1 in my opinion on the track. it is slower, heavier, and it cant turn as well even though it should(but this is only my car, results definitely vary). It might now shine as brightly on the track as my Xmod-T, but it drifts better than anything i have drifted. It has superb control with a locked front diff and an open rear one. Transitioning from turn to turn is very smooth and clean. It pretty much drifts like a 1/10 scale drifter. Its just a lot louder lol.
I'd give this car stats like this: (rating is out of 5 *'s)
Handling:****
Speed/Accel:****
Turning Ability:***
Drift Ability:*****

EVO test:
(w/Micro-T stock remote)And now the Gen 1 car. This car is quick! It is featherlight compared to an EVO xmod and just flies around the track. Both diffs are open, giving it superb handling compared to my X-waver. It is extremely agile and responds to every little motion of the controller. It makes me reeeeeaaally dizzy if i keep following it around the track. AWD gave it superb traction and it doesn't dare to flip now. It's drifting abilty though, is just...ok.....its just like a normal drift car, kinda sluggish, gives too much oversteer. its driftable, but it doesnt suit my style. i could lock the diffs, but that would change the car a lot, so im keeping it like this.
Overall i rate it like this:
Handling:*****
Speed/Accel:****
Turning Ability:*****
Drift Ability:***

I think it's safe to say its a tie, there is no clear winner as they both have their pros and cons. The lancer is a better track car than the impreza, but the impreza is waaay better at drifting.

I really think starting a hobby grade conversion on which platform is personal preference. If you like a good all around track car that is hobby grade, i'd say go with the EVO because installation of an X-waver or Mini-Z board would be kind of like a Solder-in-and-go type of thing where the Gen 1 hobby grade with a Micro-T board takes time and requires fabrication to make it good.
There ya go! if you need a reference to what hobby grade to do check here! i did it all for ya lol

EDIT: i think forgot to mention the gen 1 battery holders are custom lowered for better handling

Last edited by WhiteCharisma; 01-27-2009 at 07:21 PM..
Old 01-27-2009, 06:00 PM
dirtlover/moderator

Trader Rating: (14)

thanks for puuting this up...very interesting and informative

Team X.I.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:56 PM
Advance member

Trader Rating: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloydfanYodaman View Post
thanks for puuting this up...very interesting and informative
I second that. I have a Micro T esc and controller just waiting for application. Maybe I'll do a small project down the road.

What would be awesome is if you write tutorials for both installs. It would help countless others who are questioning the jump to hobbygrade.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:19 PM
drifter and engineer

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to XMDrifter

my 1:10th is WAAAY louder than my xmod.
anyways. those two cars look very nice.
ironic that the evo is on the chassis that the subbie usually comes on and that the subbie is on an evo chassis

very informative stuff i also say.

a locked rear diff on hand that you can swap into your gen1 chassis will make it drift just as well as your evo chassis since the lock/unlock makes a big difference in performance.
care to post up a vid of a few laps with each?
Old 01-28-2009, 09:16 AM
Advance member

Trader Rating: (0)

very nice cars. just wondering, but it looks like the gen1 chassis' ae more fragile. is this true?
Old 01-28-2009, 05:57 PM
Drift maniac

no it is not. i just cut most of the drooping parts off to save weight and get rid of them because they are really of no use indoors. it isnt as stiff as an evo car though i can tell you that, but the evo is really heavy and you cant do much to change that. So does anyone really want a micro t tutorial? i would be happy to post on as i am going to re wire that car anyways to experiment with some things.

^and yes it is ironic that the bodies are flipped around, but those are the only two good looking bodies that can fit that micro-t board. i am going to try and reconfigure the board so i can fit all of the xmod bodies (not the extra long ones of course) because the upper edge of the board interferes with all of the bodies except the scion tc, evo 8 and the impreza sti.

and isn't there already an iwaver to xmod conversion tut on this site? i swear i thought i saw one on here........maybe not, i'll post that too because im building one for a friend. thanks for all of the appreciative comments guys, it makes me feel special
Old 01-28-2009, 08:55 PM
Advance member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCharisma View Post
So does anyone really want a micro t tutorial? i would be happy to post on as i am going to re wire that car anyways to experiment with some things.
I would love one Be sure to post the pros and cons of each board.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:17 PM
Drift maniac

^^ all of it is up there bud. if there isnt anything much about them its because they dont really have cons and its obvious what hobby grade does (better range, better turning, good trim setttings, etc.) i'll get to it this weekend, im rather busy with school right now
Old 01-28-2009, 11:43 PM
Advance member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCharisma View Post
^^ all of it is up there bud. if there isnt anything much about them its because they dont really have cons and its obvious what hobby grade does (better range, better turning, good trim setttings, etc.) i'll get to it this weekend, im rather busy with school right now
By pros and cons, I meant what each board is capable of and not. I've read that there is no brake function using a micro t board, which would be a con for all of those who are accustomed to that feature.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:04 AM
drifter and engineer

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to XMDrifter

the capabilities of each board is different. possibly, you can do a quick swap on 2 stock evos with the iwaver board and the micro-t board and give them both a few quick laps, record a few notes on the throttle response difference, the steering difference, the difference in the braking or the absence thereof, etc...
that would be very helpful
Old 03-01-2009, 02:50 PM
Drift maniac

wow its been a while since ive been posting lol ive been out of the xmod scene for sometime. and to answer your question, the micro-t board has a brake function, a good one. you hold the trigger forward and when the car stops, then it will go in reverse. the iwaver board is a bit different though. the brake is in the neutral position (when you dont go forward or backwards). ideally, i like it more for drifting because all i do is let go of the gas to use the brake to get around a sharp corner or something. its hard to get use to though, especially when racing you want to push the trigger foward for a brake but it will go in reverse instead. then again, if you tap if fast enough and let go it would be stronger then the normal brake function. sorry i havent posted a tut on the micro-t board, i just dont have the time to take apart and reassemble my car and im leaving it as it is. when my buddy wants me to make him an x-waver car then i can post a tut as it would be in progress
Old 03-12-2009, 05:36 PM
Drift maniac

well its been about a week or 2 since i got something new in my collection. well this car isnt new, but slapped some stickers on and a spoiler from my subaru body kit (this took like 2 hours lol) and called it project "Midnight Drifter". This is my entry for XMF Drifter COTM. Also its my spare skyline body

The mods are just from my X-Waver car, its using the same chassis with all these parts:
Custom Painted Motor holder (metallic purple that is worn out now)
Painted Chassis (brighter silver but its wearing out too)
S1 motor with superflex 18g wires
I-waver board and servo motor
Mini-Z AWD 0 offset rims with Atomic 8.5mm Drift tires
Shielded bearings all around
Wheel shims
GPM stubs all around w/dogbones
Stock rear blue diff
GPM front locked diff
GPM center shaft gears
Kyosho black wheel nuts(worn out too..)
GPM front knuckles
lowering arms
red springs
4.5 deg tie rod
Stripes on body from Mustang'05 sticker set
Custom lowering on the body on the front clip (1/8cm? i didnt measure it...maybe a little more..)
Rear wing from the US Subaru kit which looks EXACTLY like the Blitz Skyline Wing

My x-waver car is permanently a drift car now as you can see. Comments welcome!
Old 10-07-2009, 08:37 PM
Drift maniac

wow its been a long time since i've posted here lol well i just got my first mini z shell and mounted it on my evo skyline drifter chassis. took a while but i got it. I used some 3M double-sided stick tape with the old Z clips and mounted them on the body as you can see. They had little ridges on them which fit perfectly on the bottom of the rear window, so I taped it there and taped the pieces together with masking tape so i could adjust the position if i had to (which i did several times to get the rear wheelbase right...) and there you have it, a perfect rear mount that doesnt wiggle around on a z body. i guess i got lucky that this body was pretty easy to work with too.
Enough talk, here are some pics

how its mounted

And some pics of my new beloved R32 xmod

For some reason, this car didn't come with a rear exhaust tip, so i added one from my stock subaru bumper.

Hope you guys like it!
Old 10-07-2009, 08:48 PM
Not a N00B

Trader Rating: (4)
Send a message via AIM to SkysTheLimit Send a message via MSN to SkysTheLimit

It's very clean, sure do like it.

STL-R v2.1

-More Xmods than most. BMW Enthusiast
Old 10-07-2009, 09:50 PM
Ride By Day Race By Night

Trader Rating: (6)
Send a message via AIM to bigez

that body looks good with those rims but i think just alittle wider in the back
would top it all off

NOTHING BUT THE BEST

I AM A PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM MAGNUSON RACING
Old 11-06-2009, 04:00 PM
Drift maniac

Its been a while since I promised my third drift video. I've been working hard on it so it'll come out sometime soon I just wanted to share the cars with you guys. I came up with a story kinda lol. The lancer was beaten last time but now he's out for revenge. A couple new cars are thrown in just to give it some trouble before he attempts to take down the Black R34. Lame i know haha but i think its pretty neat. Here are some pics of the cars. They are all the same except the Lancer Evo 8, which got a full tune up

With a lot of time wasted, I finally finished my Lancer I'm proud of it!

And at long last the Subaru will be drifting in a video haha i know a lot of people requested it a while ago and here it is:

Finally the White R32 which will be grip driving and not drifting similar to the Black R32 in Initial D lol

Stay tuned!
Old 11-06-2009, 04:51 PM
Subaru Nut

WOW I really want that evo and subaru lol

looks sick makes me really want a evo body
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donziikid View Post
You can't fix stupid.
MY TUTORIALS
SNOW PLOW
HUMMER DROP HITCH
DULLY TIRE TUT
Old 11-07-2009, 12:48 AM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (0)

Nice cars! Gotta love AWD!
Old 12-18-2009, 09:29 PM
Drift maniac

its been a while since an update, but i thought i'd fill you in on my lastest project that i finished today. Long story short, i tried to wire up an RV project board, and it fried. I got another one sent in, and i got it today, wired it up with the help of TrippleXmodder and the guys from XMF and it works its great! it's my project "Drift Machine" because i wanted a third drift car Here are the finished pics with my project Amuse GTR shell. Its winter now so i can't finish off the spoiler on the car, but it still looks good.

And here was the solution, instead of the same wiring as an iwaver, the outside wires are switched, and you don't reverse the polarity on the servo motor. So the wiring goes:
Xmod Black to RV project Green
Xmod Orange to RV project Yellow
Xmod White to RV project Orange

Hope you like it
Old 01-29-2010, 06:55 PM
Drift maniac

I haven't really posted on here much. I got a new car a while back, for like $25 shipped, not bad

definitely have to do something about these rear wheels lol offset ftw when i get more wheels

It won't be a supra for long, i'm gettin an R8 soon, so i think it'll be an R8...thanks for lookin!