Go Back   XmodSource.com > Miscellaneous > Real Cars: Full scale > August 08'-09' Build Off
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2008, 09:58 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPR View Post
hmm well thats really iffy. swaping the suspension of course will work. but to me that would be pretty costly, and you would be better off going with teh $700 kit.

swaping spindles and changing the hubs to me sounds logical, on a lot of cars its as simple as that. So i would atleast give it a shot. if worse comes to worse.. try and sell the parts, recoupe some money. and go the other route.
Both ways are cheap as hell. Literally no more than $140 out of the yard. But, this is swapping parts to different generation parts. Now, from the frame to the lugs if it swapped it'd be fine. But when you start making a hybrid of parts between the frame and the lugs, that's where it starts to not work right. Logic says that my ball joints won't fit the 73+ spindles. I mean, if it was as cheap as swapping the spindles it would be the easiest swap ever and everybody would be doing it. But, the entire front suspension swap has been done before, some even citing saying that you could basically roll the entire front suspension and front x-member from the doner truck onto the 67-72 frame, but the Junkyard say otherwise.

It's crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Vette View Post
Err that sucks it didnt look too sound.. the one on my car the rails rusted out so when its closed it rattles and it leaks a very tiny bit only time i noticed it was in the car wash.. i normally have the back flipped open even in the snow and rain lol so it doesnt really matter to me.

the leak causing any rust issues?
No, not really. Not compared to the other leaks the truck has. I just don't open the roof ever and it doesn't leak.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere

Last edited by texan_idiot25; 12-20-2008 at 10:01 PM..
Old 12-20-2008, 10:01 PM
SPR

well **** if its only 140 bucks. do the full suspension swap. i never woulda dreamed it would be that cheap. but of coures it will work better doing all of it, since its designed to work with all of it. Prob will hold a better alignment too which is waht you really need to think about the most. tires arent cheap!
Old 12-20-2008, 10:05 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Problem is, don't know if I'd be buying $140 bucks worth of usable stuff with so many different opinions on how to do it. But, this is how it might work out:

I have to 1st order the custom rotors so the Junkyard knows what spindles to give me, different sizes were given for the different thickness rotors. He'll sell me the spindles and calipers for about 35-40 each side. I go home, and try it out. If that doesn't work right, he said then he'll go tear down the whole truck for the rest. And we buy a proportioning vavle from some place else, since he thinks it's not needed... lulz.

He says he's done this swap before too, but so had the 67-72 forum guys and their way. But, might as well try the cheapest option 1st before buying the rest of the suspension of the doner 73-87 truck.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 12-20-2008, 11:17 PM
Xmod Expert

Trader Rating: (8)
Send a message via AIM to suicide_star Send a message via MSN to suicide_star

****, i wish i could find some seats like that in a junkyard around here, i can't even find a seat worth recovering in our junkyards =/ after you get the drop springs all around, take some pics with the big ghetto chrome rims on it, toss some DUB stickers on it too =P looks nice, awesome to see your suspension starting to come together. bowtie FTW.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:58 AM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

I'm still unsure about those rims! Will see after I figure out what I want to do with these white wheels. They don't looks so bad when their filling out the wheel wells. But their getting sand blasted and painted black when I get it on the road and to my school.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:06 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Holy awesome, I drove the truck.

So, it was backed out of the driveway, and turned around in the street, but it's movement. It's also hell. Every try a 3 point turn in a 5000lbs truck with no power steering? Ha... hahah... But it's a rumbling beast no less.

Anyways, backed it into the garage, it's cold, windy, and miserable outside.

Bet you can't find the lower ball joint nut! Love 40 years of grease

Also gotta love 3 foot breaker bars that can break 40 years of grease.

Anyways, 3 inch drop springs vs the stock spring.

The 1st side was easy. All was said and done in 45 minutes. The passenger side. Well... The lower ball joint was so worn out, trying to pry the spindle off it, was **** near impossible. Pulling the spindle up to pry off, pulled the ball joint along with it! It took 3 hours of hammering and mess unitl it finally popped out. But, spings in and down on the jacks:

Sits perfect at front. While the body does sit level, the rear tires are still tucked in more than the fronts. And with the travel issues, eventually I'll throw in 3in drop springs instead of the 5s. But for now, the CST10 is down nice.

Finished up the steering wheel, Olds 442 wheel looks badass, and is a much nicer size than the original wheel. Went a head and ripped off the old cracked dashpad, just got tired of it. And re-installed the guages and finished the Cadillac clock.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:15 PM
XMS Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Donziikid

This is starting to look really, really nice, Texan. Awesome work and determination.

Cheers,
Kyle.

Greyscale Racing Member

The Collection:
Mitsubishi Pajero | AE RC18MT
TLMicroCrawler | Xmod ShowRoom | 'Yota XTruck
"The fun begins when the pavement ends."

Old 12-21-2008, 10:17 PM
SPR

B. E. A . UUUTIFUL!!

looks awesome. but what the hell you workin in good clothes and shoes for lol. you'll learn quick not to do that haha. look good though.

my buddy just finished his prosteet truck yesturday, when he post pics on myspace of it ill have to show ya, its right up your ally, you'll love it
Old 12-21-2008, 10:29 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (13)

You replaced that ball joint, right? I hope so. Sounds like they all need replaced if that one had that much movement.

Anyways, looking good lowered.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:31 PM
SPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ling427ttvette View Post
You replaced that ball joint, right? I hope so. Sounds like they all need replaced if that one had that much movement.

Anyways, looking good lowered.
i hope he didnt. waste of money. if he is planning on changing out the suspension to do a disk brake swap, then he would just be changing the balljoints then anyways. no reason to do it now.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:34 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Will do when the front end is finished. Right now it's just bolted snuggly together for mock-up. We'll have to tear it down for the disk brake swap anyways, so at that point new lower ball joints go in both sides. Trust me, that side has gone to hell Driver's side wasn't much better in terms of ball-joint health

Quote:
This is starting to look really, really nice, Texan. Awesome work and determination.

Cheers,
Kyle.
Thanks man.

Quote:
B. E. A . UUUTIFUL!!

looks awesome. but what the hell you workin in good clothes and shoes for lol. you'll learn quick not to do that haha. look good though.

my buddy just finished his prosteet truck yesturday, when he post pics on myspace of it ill have to show ya, its right up your ally, you'll love it
Thanks man!

I've been in the garage for 17 years, I know the dress code. But, Vans are shoes, shoes get dirty, shoes can get cleaned. And I had a jacket on most of the day, just after turnign that truck with no power steering, well, I was all worked up and such.

Power steering pump will be put on ASAP.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:37 PM
Forum Idiot

Trader Rating: (3)
Send a message via AIM to Sweed Send a message via Yahoo to Sweed

Looking good!
You have some skills with the camera, all your shots come out looking real nice.
Looks like we'll have to fallow this one closely.
"Save us, oh lord, from the wrath of the Norsemen"
Old 12-21-2008, 10:37 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPR View Post
i hope he didnt. waste of money. if he is planning on changing out the suspension to do a disk brake swap, then he would just be changing the balljoints then anyways. no reason to do it now.
Chill out, man.. You know very little of the swap plans or of what I did and didn't do. Let me answer other people's questions.

Quote:
Looking good!
You have some skills with the camera, all your shots come out looking real nice.
Looks like we'll have to fallow this one closely.
Thank you Sweedy. Plus, when I use the flash, my truck looks like hell. The shadows hide the uglyness

Old 12-21-2008, 10:42 PM
SPR

was only saying... it would be a waste of money since u plan to swap. there was no reason to be putting in a new balljoin now just to rip it back out... just common sense..
Old 12-21-2008, 10:56 PM
MEOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Trader Rating: (0)

if that the hammer you are using I can see why it took a few hours. a few smacks on the knuckle with good sized hammer and the taper should vibrate right loose. I can give you some tips on changing that ball joint with no press or other special tools if you need it.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:01 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythekid1 View Post

if that the hammer you are using I can see why it took a few hours. a few smacks on the knuckle with good sized hammer and the taper should vibrate right loose. I can give you some tips on changing that ball joint with no press or other special tools if you need it.
My dad left the BFH at work, but we were trying every way known to knock it out of the lower joint, including going full force on the spindle. Even with the jack under the brake to load some pressure onto the ball joint it held. It was just 40 years stuck. He was gettin mad knowing that normally it does only take a few whacks with a hammer. But the **** thing just wouldn't go until we let a large squirt of GM penetrating lube do it's work for the 4th time.

PM me the tips. I'm sure my dad is probably on the same mind train as you. But were doing the joints the the garage anyways, can't drive it up to the dealership just yet and work on it with the ultimate set of tools.

One of these days this week I'm heading to his work and sandblasting and painting the steel wheels black as well

Last edited by texan_idiot25; 12-21-2008 at 11:06 PM..
Old 12-22-2008, 01:55 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Started it up, and pulled it out today to see it on the ground. Oh how I love that V8 rumble. The Carb doesn't like the cold, but starts well with out a choke.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Last edited by texan_idiot25; 12-22-2008 at 02:00 PM..
Old 12-22-2008, 02:21 PM
ROTFLSHMSFOAIDMT

Trader Rating: (24)
Send a message via AIM to TheB1GDude Send a message via MSN to TheB1GDude

Great progress tex!! Its really coming together!!

Duct Tape is like the force:- it has a light side and a dark side and it binds the universe together.....
Old 12-22-2008, 06:06 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (0)

Wow tex, I love that stance! Glad to finally see some progress here. Just do me a favor and put some tasteful rims on it. Nothing I hate more than ugly rims on nice cars.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:05 PM
SPR

passenger front tire look a little low