Go Back   XmodSource.com > Miscellaneous > Real Cars: Full scale > January 10'-11' Build Off
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2010, 05:09 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (5)
Default January 10'-11' Build Off Rover 25 GTI

OK so i though i may as well enter this. This is my rover 25 gti that i got from my Dad once the head gasket blew. Iv done quite abit of work on it so far but i don't really want to go out to take some picture of it so far at this time (22:00) so pictures so far will be up tomorrow.

This was it about 4 months ago now.

So far iv mainly got just visual upgrades with spare cash iv had in paypal, i got the battery cut off switch and a new gear knob.

I got a visual/performance upgrade the other day, a mg zr spoiler, the retail of one of these is £135+ but because this one is repo i bought it for £20 and it lighter too, the genuine weighs 3.5kg and this one weighs 720g and its just as good quality, only problem with it being repo is it needs abit of work but its worth while. il get a pic of it mounted tomorrow.

i will also get pics of my work so far on the rest of the car too.

The Monster Mustang - Link

1955 Chevrolet Bel Air - Link

Last edited by deckerz; 02-18-2010 at 05:12 PM..
Old 04-15-2010, 07:52 PM
Elite member

sorry its been so long but i forgot about the thread, the rover 25 and the mg zr are basicly the same car but the zr is the tuned one, the only difference is lowered, stiffer suspension, spoliers and the mg badge...but mine comes with an upside, the zr had an option between AC or a sunroof you could not have both but the 25 you could have ac and a sunroof which mine has.

I also picked up a MG tailgate handle, i will post pics of the stuff mounted tomorrow...i promise but the stuff is unpainted, i need to get to halford and pick up a tin of my paint code, i don't wanna use cans again.

Bit desperate, somebody please post a comment so i don't have to tripple post :P

Old 04-15-2010, 10:44 PM
Bored...

Trader Rating: (7)

Its nice to see a British Leyland car on XMS. Is it a diesel or gasoline/petrol? Manual? I know dont know a lot about British cars, so educate me on this car. I love Britain, and if America really screws itself up (and I mean REALLY REALLY screws up) than I'm going right to Britain. I'd really like to get a blue '07 Mondeo hatch diesel w/ stickshift if I do move out there. Oh, and a personal question: How is Chevrolet's image over there? Has the Chevy Cruze been well-recieved?
Old 04-16-2010, 02:03 PM
Elite member

Petrol, 5 speed manual, 1.4, limited to 135mph.

The ZR was in the WRC a few years ago, the 25s suspention is taken from the rover 200vi which is the best model of rover 200s. The most popular cars in britian are, renault, rover, mg, peugeot, VW golf, ford (not mustang or anything), honda, toyota, nissan, fiat, mitsubish and finally subaru. Those make all seem to go down well over here, we are seeing less and less jaguars though and the old british classics like mini, triumph.

Iv only seen 2 chevrolets where i live, one was a early 1930s and at a race track and the other was one a road the chevrolet laceti.

Pics of wing mounted.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:34 AM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25

Quote:
Originally Posted by KITT222 View Post
I love Britain, and if America really screws itself up (and I mean REALLY REALLY screws up) than I'm going right to Britain.
Why would you move to Britain? If you don't like the direction that the US is heading, you'll hate British government.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 04-19-2010, 08:34 AM
Bored...

Trader Rating: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan_idiot25 View Post
Why would you move to Britain? If you don't like the direction that the US is heading, you'll hate British government.
Like I said, America would have to screw itself up big time, not with tiny things, like any kind of tax, or a bill I dont like passes. But as of now, I like living in America.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:40 AM
Elite member

tbh i don't really see what wrong with britian right now apart from only just getting out of recesion, anyway heres an update, i got a new engine.

Its a 1999 rover 200 1.4 twin cam so it has different electrical connectors but thats eaisily sorted, the vin number on the engine didn't match to any registered engine so after a few hours of research i found out this engine was rebuilt by MG in 2005 it had the whole inside of the engine replaced, crankshaft, conrods, pistons, valves, valve springs, cams ect but the guy i bought it off didn't know that, i got it for £100.

Here it is part stripped, some parts are rusty but those are rover 200 steel parts that did rust, im going to replace the sump, and other rusty parts with the rover 25 alloy engine parts. The block and cylinder head were also replaced when it was rebuilt so they arn't bad, just abit dirty.

And here are the cams comparison, on the top is one of the old rover 25 rusting cams, and on the bottom is one of the MG ZR MK2 Alloy cams.

I have ordered a new clutch kit and uprated gasket set with stretch bolts, i was going to order a new flywheel but im just going to steal the alloy one off the 25 engine, the cam belt, oil pump and water pump were brand new on the 25 so they will go on this engine too. I still need to get a new radiator but that can wait until the engine is ready, it needs a new oil filter but they arn't alot, castrol magnetec oil and NGK iridium spark plugs to get the best out of the engine. All for now...

Old 05-03-2010, 03:58 PM
Advance member

Trader Rating: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckerz View Post
Petrol, 5 speed manual, 1.4, limited to 135mph.
dont want to sound negative but were do you get that top speed from. the highest speed i got from a 1.4 engines was 105 mph and that was pushing it hard. theres no way a 1.4 rover engine can get anywere near that with out a turbo and alot of tuning and maybe nos.

nice car anyway
Old 05-03-2010, 07:04 PM
Elite member

This is limited to 130mph but the speedo goes up to 135mph, my Dad did a top speed run once and got to 120 before having to brake but aparently it will go up to 130mph.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:54 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmod noob View Post
dont want to sound negative but were do you get that top speed from. the highest speed i got from a 1.4 engines was 105 mph and that was pushing it hard. theres no way a 1.4 rover engine can get anywere near that with out a turbo and alot of tuning and maybe nos.

nice car anyway
You can't judge a car's performance solely based on motor displacement.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:50 AM
Elite member

Well heres an update for you guys, i got the head off, iv ordered a valve compression tool to remove the valves and spring properly, one of the valves was harder to push in so once all the valves and springs have been removed from both heads hes going to take all 32 valves and spring to work to messure them so we can select the best 16 for this engine. We are just going to scrape the black off the top of the pistons instead of opening up the block to clean them.

Got the uprated gasket set

Also some interior visuals, seem eaisier to shift now...

EDIT - Me and my Dad should be able to get the engine out of the car soon, the hardest bit will be lifting it out over the bumper, thats right...we don't use engine winches

Last edited by deckerz; 05-04-2010 at 11:12 AM..
Old 05-04-2010, 04:41 PM
Advance member

Trader Rating: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan_idiot25 View Post
You can't judge a car's performance solely based on motor displacement.
i wasnt i was going by the manufacturers specs for that car and it say`s 115mph for that size engine. maybe the speedo say`s 135 mph but it wont do that speed unless its turbo`d are has some serious engine work done which it looks like he is going to do
Old 05-04-2010, 04:55 PM
ROTFLSHMSFOAIDMT

Trader Rating: (24)
Send a message via AIM to TheB1GDude Send a message via MSN to TheB1GDude

I believe the rule of thumb is a car (assuming it's in decent shape) will do a top speed of 20MPH less than what the speedo reads so 135 - 20 = 115 which matches the manufacturers specs for it.

If it has as stated been rebuilt by MG and given the mods deckerz plans to do I reckon he will have a quick little car once all is said and done.

Duct Tape is like the force:- it has a light side and a dark side and it binds the universe together.....
Old 05-04-2010, 11:35 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

What a strange engine block, it's just sleeves... Do these things take any boost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmod noob View Post
i wasnt i was going by the manufacturers specs for that car and it say`s 115mph for that size engine. maybe the speedo say`s 135 mph but it wont do that speed unless its turbo`d are has some serious engine work done which it looks like he is going to do
135 is not that fast, and many hot-hatches can do it. Given enough room, I wouldn't be surprised to see a modern 1.5L do it with enough road. There's folks who claim to surpass that with these little 1st gen CRX Si's, and they never had more than 90hp in the US.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:55 AM
Elite member

Not this 1.4, well not without lots of mods, the eaisiest way to go for modding the 25/zr engine is to get the 1.8l vvc engine, it uses the standard 1.8 block but with a vvc head, the vvc head uses much bigger valves and cams to compensate, then there are lots of companys that provide performance cams for the vvc and forged pistons for the block ect, mods seem to start more commonly for these engines at 1.6 although the 1.4 zr engine (the engine in the pic) is a slightly uprated version of the 1.4 25 engine. Back to the vvc engine, people usually add a small turbo like a T2 but you can go bigger if you have the money, they also use this engine very commonly in the caterham 7 but they don't put a turbo on because theres not really enough room under the hood.

Iv just discovered the weight of the car. The 3 door weighs 1020kg and the 5 door weighs 1040kg, mines the 5 door but iv still got a pretty light car i think.

EDIT: Heres some candy....

Brand new flywheel, looks a little old because it was stored for almost 10 years.

and clutch kit

Last edited by deckerz; 05-26-2010 at 09:49 AM..
Old 05-26-2010, 09:51 AM
ROTFLSHMSFOAIDMT

If you wanted a turbo I would go back to the 2.0L Turbo stock option found in some of the older / bigger Rovers then rebuild it rather than mess around with the 1.8L option.

I'm not sure how I feel about your weight 1040 kg is 2288 lbs, my Mustang weighs 3483 lbs (or 1582 kg) so for only 542 kg more I've got a 300HP V8 and rear wheel drive

Duct Tape is like the force:- it has a light side and a dark side and it binds the universe together.....
Old 05-26-2010, 10:05 AM
Elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheB1GDude View Post
If you wanted a turbo I would go back to the 2.0L Turbo stock option found in some of the older / bigger Rovers then rebuild it rather than mess around with the 1.8L option.

I'm not sure how I feel about your weight 1040 kg is 2288 lbs, my Mustang weighs 3483 lbs (or 1582 kg) so for only 542 kg more I've got a 300HP V8 and rear wheel drive
Yeah, the 2.0l from tomcats and wedge style 214, unfortunatly we are seeing less of these engines, the 2.0l head is is the same as the 1.8l vvc head except the intake manifold is injection rather then vvc.

Oh and i believe this is the classic arguement :P power or lightness. Once my engine is complete it should be putting out more then the standard 106hp, im aiming for around 150hp out of this 1.4, you will have twice the power but im 502kg ligher. I feel a race coming on haha, maybe one day when i move to america, i want to ship the car over, i believe they didn't sell this in america so it would be unique.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:27 AM
ROTFLSHMSFOAIDMT

lol HP mean's nothing I have 320 foot-pounds of torque that's what gives me all my power

But you would definitely be unique as I don't believe Rover ever made it into the US car market, you see older MG's but like the 25 unless another manufacturer bought the design and started selling it themselves, i.e. the Vauxhall Astra vs.the Saturn Astra.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:45 AM
Tacoma on M/T's????

Trader Rating: (0)

should be nice when finished and hp doesnt win race torque does... and some cars can completely surpass the speedo on thier car before i swapped my v6 for a v8 in my mustang after removing the governor i was burrying needle in 4th
Old 05-26-2010, 11:05 AM
Elite member

Well once its all up and running il get it on the dyno they have at the mg rover meets.

Some chinese company or somthing have bought MG but they can only sell the cars under the MG name and other companys can't copy the designs, they have produced a replacement for the ZR but its just a rover streetwise with a MG badge on it and it looks awfull.