Go Back   XmodSource.com > Xmods > XMOD Electronics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Old 10-16-2009, 12:28 PM
Stage 2 member

Trader Rating: (1)
Default Replacing fets with wire glue

I burnt out my forward fet (and it's repacement fet) a while back and I'm getting around to replacing it. I burned the stock fet because I dragged a hot wire across it, and the replacement because I held the soldering iron on too long (I think), so I'm a bit paranoid to solder on a fet.

So I was wondering if wire glue works fine on fets. Or is there a good reason I should stick to soldering?

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ---------- View Post
yea thats true, cm or mm its still 8.4
lol ^^^^^^^^
Old 10-16-2009, 01:10 PM
ROTFLSHMSFOAIDMT

Trader Rating: (24)
Send a message via AIM to TheB1GDude Send a message via MSN to TheB1GDude

I guess wire glue would work but I'm not 100% sure, the glue is non-conductive so it wouldn't matter if you used a little to much but because its non-conductive your FET legs would have to be right on the money to ensure a bridge, not sure how reliable the glue would be for that.

Duct Tape is like the force:- it has a light side and a dark side and it binds the universe together.....

Last edited by TheB1GDude; 10-16-2009 at 02:01 PM..
Old 10-16-2009, 01:52 PM
All 6's and 7's

Trader Rating: (8)
Send a message via MSN to bondo

i'm pretty sure that it won't work period because as B1G said,the glue is non-conductive and one side of each fet needs to be bridged.
all four pins need to be connected to complete the circuit.

if you're unsure of you're soldering skills then i do believe that XXXmodder will work on your fets for the cost of shipping.
a small,padded envelope and shipping to/from just about anywhere in the USA is under $3
check out his service thread and shoot him a PM.

actionB also does this kind of work but i havn't seen him online much.

good luck with it.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:05 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzc426 View Post
I burnt out my forward fet (and it's repacement fet) a while back and I'm getting around to replacing it. I burned the stock fet because I dragged a hot wire across it, and the replacement because I held the soldering iron on too long (I think), so I'm a bit paranoid to solder on a fet.

So I was wondering if wire glue works fine on fets. Or is there a good reason I should stick to soldering?

Thanks.
Certainly you should stick to soldering. If the board is still fine just give it another shot if you feel comfortable. I mean FETs don't cost THAT much. Are you trying to upgrade or replace with stock ones?
Old 10-16-2009, 03:31 PM
Working Class Hero

Trader Rating: (32)
Send a message via MSN to TripleXmodder(akaXXX)

Keep the burnt up FETs to practice with. Go to RS and get a roll of de-soldering braid and you can keep reusing those FETs to practice with. In the meantime if you have the replacement FETs I will do them for shipping cost. If you need new FETs then it is $15 per 2 FET stack. ActionB is also available for FET service but speak to him on his prices and options. Just shoot a PM.

I agree.... Don't use wire glue. No good.

XXX FREE modding Service: http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17800
PM me for a quote or any questions. HAPPY MODDING

100% Positive Itrader feedback http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/itrader.php?u=6901
Old 10-16-2009, 06:44 PM
XMS Administrator

Trader Rating: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheB1GDude View Post
I guess wire glue would work but I'm not 100% sure, the glue is non-conductive so it wouldn't matter if you used a little to much but because its non-conductive your FET legs would have to be right on the money to ensure a bridge, not sure how reliable the glue would be for that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondo View Post
i'm pretty sure that it won't work period because as B1G said,the glue is non-conductive and one side of each fet needs to be bridged.
all four pins need to be connected to complete the circuit.

if you're unsure of you're soldering skills then i do believe that XXXmodder will work on your fets for the cost of shipping.
a small,padded envelope and shipping to/from just about anywhere in the USA is under $3
check out his service thread and shoot him a PM.

actionB also does this kind of work but i havn't seen him online much.

good luck with it.
Wire glue is actually highly conductive (as per their website) but the problem that is unknown is how much heat it could withstand (and I doubt it's very much). The fet legs are the highest current drawing component on the board so I agree with Bondo and B1G and everyone else to stick to solder.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:38 PM
Stage 2 member

Trader Rating: (1)

alright, thanks guys. Looks like I'll be giving soldering another shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ---------- View Post
yea thats true, cm or mm its still 8.4
lol ^^^^^^^^