Go Back   XmodSource.com > Miscellaneous > Miscellaneous RC's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2009, 02:05 PM

Trader Rating: (0)
Question Can someone recommend me a good boat?

I was looking for a good boat under the 200$ range. I don't care if it is gas or electric. I am a newbie to anything that isn't a xmod. The only high-end Rc veichle I ever had was a xmod. I want the boat to go fast and be able to get some air off of small waves. (freshwater). I am a newbie so I am pretty confused here on what kind of boat to get.
Old 05-24-2009, 04:15 PM
Xmod Expert

Trader Rating: (8)
Send a message via AIM to winner

i'd say the traxxas blast. stock there super fast, lol my friend has one and it gets on a plane stock.

http://cgi.ebay.com/TRAXXAS-BLAST-EL...3A1%7C294%3A50

XBL Gamer Tag : Roar Pants
Old 05-24-2009, 05:41 PM

Thank man! What kind of battery and charge will I be needing?
Old 05-24-2009, 05:47 PM
Xmod Expert

ehh not sure, i'll check and see

edit; ok got it

6-Cell 7.2V Stick Battery w/Traxxas High Current Connector (1 needed)
6-7 Cell Timed or Peak Detection Charger
Alkaline Batteries for Transmitter (8 needed)

Last edited by winner; 05-24-2009 at 05:54 PM..
Old 05-24-2009, 07:36 PM

WOW, thats about 80$ right there. plus 130$. If I ever get a job or wait till my birthday or christmas I can get it. The only problem is its may,im 1, and am currently saving up for some airsoft stuff.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:14 PM
Elite member

Your 1?
Quite young to be buying things don't you think.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:16 PM
Xmod Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixlinewrasse View Post
WOW, thats about 80$ right there. plus 130$. If I ever get a job or wait till my birthday or christmas I can get it. The only problem is its may,im 1, and am currently saving up for some airsoft stuff.
honestly you can get a 7.2 battery and charger at radioshack for about $20-$30... then you just need to get the connector for about $5 from traxxas.

Last edited by winner; 05-24-2009 at 09:17 PM.. Reason: lol i put $50 for the conector
Old 05-24-2009, 09:50 PM
[Not-your-day] - Badass

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to noturday

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnotmikal View Post
Your 1?
Quite young to be buying things don't you think.

at least he seems mature for his age awesome speller, way ahead of the game at this point.

Team XI
Old 05-24-2009, 11:39 PM

13 years old sorry. Thanks for the relpies, I may buy this considering it will only be 165$!

Only a couple post and I am already starting to like the forum!
Old 05-25-2009, 12:01 AM
MSI <3

Trader Rating: (2)

wait, you think xmods are high end? if i were you, i'd get something a bit less extreme for a first boat, xmods are nowhere near what that thing's gonna do. at least take it out to a big open lake for practice if you do buy it. go ahead and get it, i'm just saying you'll probably be shocked.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:06 AM

I never really got into RC but I just played with my hummer yesterday and I want to get back to it, but now im older and can cut the grass so I get more than a dollar for vacuming the house. I go to Tygart lake almost every weekend so I have a lot of room to drive it.

If any of you guys airsoft, is getting xmods to this boat like a crossman to tokyo marui? lol that big of a difference?

Also will this boat break as much as Xmods do? it seems xmods break all the time even if they are upgraded.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:52 AM
Xmod Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixlinewrasse View Post
I never really got into RC but I just played with my hummer yesterday and I want to get back to it, but now im older and can cut the grass so I get more than a dollar for vacuming the house. I go to Tygart lake almost every weekend so I have a lot of room to drive it.

If any of you guys airsoft, is getting xmods to this boat like a crossman to tokyo marui? lol that big of a difference?

Also will this boat break as much as Xmods do? it seems xmods break all the time even if they are upgraded.
nope the boat is made by traxxas, there known for there speed and durability of there products

Old 05-25-2009, 11:58 AM
MSI <3

however, if you try to ramp it off a wave over a dock, you'll probably break it. just try not to kill yourself.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:05 PM
XMS Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Donziikid

First, what kind of water are you running on? Are power boats (real, full sized) allowed to run on this body of water or is it only for man-powered boats (kiyaks, canoes, etc)? If there are power boats, you're going to want to go with something larger; and with size, comes cost. However, if it is a small, private and secluded body of water, you can probably start with something small that is generally less expensive. Even if it is a power-OK body of water, you can still get something small, but the options for running it are going to be slim.

A good starter (smaller) boat is the AquaCraft Mini Reo. It is a 100% RTR from the factory RC boat (all you need to do is purchase transmitter batteries!). It comes standard with a 2/3A 7.2V 1100mAh NiMH battery, thirty minute 12V charger and the assembled boat. It is powered by a 380 sized motor (same sized motor as the RadioShack ProPulse, Assosciated RC18 and Vendetta) and comes with an FM transmitter and receiver. The AquaCraft Mini Reo is a smaller boat measuring in at 16" long, 4.75" wide and 2.5" tall. It is a V-style hull which will be good for some chop, but being such a small boat, it'll really be best on smoother waters.
TowerHobbies.com Cost: $109.98.

One of the Mini Reo's brothers is the AquaCraft Hammer EP. The Hammer EP is slightly larger at 24" long, 8.75" wide and 5" tall and it also packs a more powerful punch with a 550-sized motor. However, at Tower's $129.99 cost, it does not come with a required SubC 7.2V NiMH battery. Tower does however offer a $171.99 "Ultimate Combo" package which includes a charger, 7.2V battery, transmitter batteries and the boat. Not a bad deal, but it is not the greatest charger nor battery. You could spend a little more and get much better performance from an aftermarket battery.
TowerHobbies.com Cost: $129.99
TowerHobbies.com Ultimate Combo Cost: $171.99

TowerHobbies, along with their land and air brands, offers their own personal water-craft; the TowerHobbies Turbo Vee 3. This boat is an intermediate size at 20.5" long but it is certainly the cheapest ($84.99 w/o battery/charger). It too offers a larger motor, 540-sized watercooled motor, but it slumps down to an AM transmitter/receiver package. All though AM is not horrible, it certainly is going back to the Stone-Age.
The Turbo Vee also has an Ultimate Combo which comes with the needed SubC 7.2V NiCD (1500mAh), charger and AA transmitter batteries.
TowerHobbies.com Cost: $84.99
TowerHobbies.com Ultimate Combo Cost: $134.97

While all three of the above are great boats, they are starter boats and will not be of the greatest potential. However, they will get you started in the hobby with a good basis, and will provide you with hours of fun when used properly. However, you may opt to go with the following boats:

Much like the rest of Traxxas' Electronic vehicles, the Traxxas Blast has been upgraded to 100% waterproof capabilities. The Blast is rockin' a Traxxas Nautica Waterproof ESC and a 20-turn, 540-sized Stinger motor for ultimate power and reliability. The Traxxas Blast is a larger boat stretching the ruler to 23.75" long and 5.75" wide. This slim and slender boat is a deep-V style hull capable of cutting through waves and bashing it's way accross ponds.
When purchasing from TowerHobbies, you will need to purchase a seperate 7.2V charger, SubC 7.2V NiMH battery, Traxxas battery plug adapter and transmitter batteries. Everything else needed is included.
TowerHobbies.com Cost: $114.98

On the topic of batteries, stay away from RadioShack. The life of electric RCs is the batteries. If you buy a crappy battery, you're going to get crappy runtime, crappy power and crappy results. Purchase a real battery and a real charger. If you skimp, you're wasting money when you want to upgade and you're wasting money when they seize on you from poor quality. MaxAmps offers great batteries and chargers for relativly good prices. TowerHobbies also has a lot of good batteries when you search for them.

Cheers,
Kyle.

Greyscale Racing Member

The Collection:
Mitsubishi Pajero | AE RC18MT
TLMicroCrawler | Xmod ShowRoom | 'Yota XTruck
"The fun begins when the pavement ends."

Old 05-26-2009, 08:43 PM

Thanks! I really like all the information! I will be driving it in smaller areas with little to no waves. The second one seems to be the one for me.

Also when I say little to no waves, I mean like waves that are caused by the wind.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:27 PM
XMS Administrator

Then, ideally, any of the above mentioned will work wonderful in your body of water. Whichever you like the best is the one you should get. From what you described, you'll have no problems running any of those four boats.

Cheers,
Kyle.

Greyscale Racing Member

The Collection:

Old 05-27-2009, 12:06 AM
RC CRAWLING ADDICT!

Send a message via MSN to amorton94 Send a message via Skype™ to amorton94

Thanks for that write-up Donzii. I think I'll get one now. I've always wanted one. And don't forget, all of MaxAmps lipo's are fully waterproofed so if you have an oops on the water, your battery is safe. Well, until it sinks
Old 05-27-2009, 06:22 PM
XMS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by amorton94 View Post
Thanks for that write-up Donzii. I think I'll get one now. I've always wanted one. And don't forget, all of MaxAmps lipo's are fully waterproofed so if you have an oops on the water, your battery is safe. Well, until it sinks
Very good point! Although, LiPo will cost you a pretty penny!

Oh, and no problem on the write-up. Fun stuff to me. I've learned a lot about other RCs by just searching around for others.

Cheers,
Kyle.

Greyscale Racing Member

The Collection: