Go Back   XmodSource.com > Mini & Micro > Mini & Micro Modification
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2009, 06:23 AM
Mini-Z Drifter

Trader Rating: (8)
Default Lithium-Ion for Mini-Z AWD

I've seen the lithium-ion for the awd Mini-Z on Atomic Mods. Does anyone know where to get them besides AM? I wanna put Lith on my car, but can't seem to find them. AM has been sold out for a while. Here is a link to what I am talking about"

http://www.atomicmods.com/Products/A...Ah__13017.aspx

I have lithium on my gen 1 Xmod, but don't think that it will work for the awd Mini-Z.

Has anyone put lithium in an awd other then the way Atomic Mods does it?
Old 02-12-2009, 08:34 AM
Modifier

Trader Rating: (3)
Send a message via ICQ to Skv012a Send a message via AIM to Skv012a Send a message via Yahoo to Skv012a

Over the time Liths will kill your board, but unlike Xmods, Z boards are 80$. Do you REALLY want to tank 80$ down the line for a pointless replacement? Just get some Orion High Voltage 900 (mAh) AAAs and a good charger. Cheaper, just as effective on the track. Lastly, I don't think liths are legal for official events like Hfay or company tournaments if you ever plan on attending those.

Zs aren't about slapping as much crap on them as possible, they're about fine tuning to race.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:05 AM
Mini-Z Drifter

How do liths ruin your board? I've never seen a Z board for $80. The most I've seen them for is $50.

I never said I wanted to slap a bunch of crap on my Z. I just know that you can get a great increase in speed and performance with liths.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:15 PM
Volvo Enthusiast

Trader Rating: (18)
Send a message via Yahoo to greekone

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineLvr View Post
How do liths ruin your board? I've never seen a Z board for $80. The most I've seen them for is $50.

I never said I wanted to slap a bunch of crap on my Z. I just know that you can get a great increase in speed and performance with liths.
Used AM/AD board go for $50 or less, new 2.4ASF boards go for around $90. No need for lithium in a Z, get an FET stack or V2/Spider along with a fast motor like Chile/Z2/T2 and it will be plenty fast.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:34 PM
Mini-Z Drifter

So I should probably just stick w/ some rechargeable Ni-Mh batteries then? I have the AAA ni-mh batteries from radio shack that I got w/ my Xmod a while back. Are these any good? Does it matter what type of batteries to use in the Tx? Would just regular rechargeable AA's work?
Old 02-12-2009, 01:22 PM
Working Class Hero

Trader Rating: (32)
Send a message via MSN to TripleXmodder(akaXXX)

even AM racers play with lith mini-z. Don't let someone tell you what a car is about. An rc is about the driver and what he wants. I have an Mr02 that has had lith on it for over 2 years and runs great. Granted to run lith you need to be an experienced driver because it can be hard to control. But if your not experienced go with the team Priam AAAs.

XXX FREE modding Service: http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17800
PM me for a quote or any questions. HAPPY MODDING

100% Positive Itrader feedback http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/itrader.php?u=6901
Old 02-12-2009, 03:25 PM
Mini-Z Drifter

Anybody know about the company Tenergy? I can get a set of Ni-Mh batteries (8 AA's, 8 AAA's) and a charger on ebay for under $30. Does anyone have any experience with these batteries?
Old 02-12-2009, 03:44 PM
Elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineLvr View Post

Here is a great mod for anyone who wants to run lithium, but is deterred because the switch means you can no longer run AAA batteries. Atomicmods lithium setup is ridiculous in my opinion. Why have a car that could run only exclusively lithiums when you could have the ability to switch whenever you desired?

Its easy. The batteries can be easily purchased on ebay from a seller with the ebay I.D. r_gomez . He has good feedback and is a great seller. Simply solder a deans micro plug as seen in the pictures (red goes to grey, black to black) and Viola! you installed lithium in about a minute of work. Unplug your lithium whenever you want and pop in some AAA batteries. As an added benefit, the batteries even come with a volt cutoff to protect from an over-discharge.

Almost forgot, if you want there to be a battery clip for the lithium as seen in my pictures, you dremel an XMOD generation one battery clip a little wider and it fits perfect. This is a good mod but usually the body can hold the battery in just fine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MA-010 lithium.jpg (91.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg MA-010 NiMh.jpg (75.3 KB, 10 views)
Old 02-12-2009, 04:15 PM
Mini-Z Drifter

That is a nice set-up. Unfortunately that guy doesn't have any of those packs for sale

How many batteries are in your lith set-up?

Could I use the liths from my Xmod gen 1?

Last edited by SkylineLvr; 02-12-2009 at 04:24 PM..
Old 02-12-2009, 04:53 PM
Working Class Hero

Trader Rating: (32)
Send a message via MSN to TripleXmodder(akaXXX)

I have those single cell liths as well it is definatly a good setup. The tenergy are great. They are what my lith packs are made of.

XXX FREE modding Service: http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17800
PM me for a quote or any questions. HAPPY MODDING

100% Positive Itrader feedback http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/itrader.php?u=6901
Old 02-12-2009, 06:01 PM
Elite member

I have a Tamiya speed checker and it clocks an MA-010 with T2 motor and just NiMh at 35 km/h (21 mph) and with lithium it clocks 48 km/h (30 mph). Of course thats not taking into account weight but its not really geared high either. (19 tooth pinion with 29 tooth spur)

There are kits for 40 bucks shipped on ebay from a different seller. They look a little different but probably still good. Just search on ebay for mini-z awd lithium. The installation will be the same as the kit I have and will allow for you to switch between lithium and nimh.

Of course, keep in mind that the car is SO FAST that its useless on any track pretty much. It would be fun on a gym floor or to show off to friends. I'll look into some lithium kits for you. I recommend FETs though. Let me know if you need any FET work. I do them all the time.

Last edited by Action B; 02-12-2009 at 06:09 PM..
Old 02-12-2009, 09:10 PM
Mini-Z Drifter

I just ordered some Team Orion 900mAh High Voltage AAA NiMH Battery - Pro Competition for my Z. Looking for some AA and a charger for my Tx. Not sure if I wanna do lithium yet. I think I will know once I get my Z in the next few days. Not sure if I wanna do stack fets. Thinking about a V2 board.

Anyone use these batteries? Are they any good?
Old 02-12-2009, 09:17 PM
Modifier

Send a message via ICQ to Skv012a Send a message via AIM to Skv012a Send a message via Yahoo to Skv012a

As far as chargers go, get best or 2nd best to keep your batteries in good shape for a few years. As far as batteries themselves, I'd stick to name brands because they really aren't that expensive considering how long they'll last you. If you think in terms of larger scale fuel vs batteries, you probably won't hesitate.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:02 PM
Mini-Z Drifter

I just ordered the Tenergy 8 channel battery charger w/ 8 AA and 8 AAA Ni-Mh batteries. It was cheap and something I can use for a while. Will definitely be getting a better charger and batteries when I have more money. I needed something now since my car will be here in a few days.

I'm not sure if I plan on racing my car right now. I'm definitely gonna set it up for some drifting though
Old 02-12-2009, 11:24 PM
Modifier

Got kyosho drift slicks? Get both sizes so you'll be covered for any wheel setup you choose. I also hear 3 degree camber is goood for drifting, so look into some cheap plastic knuckles to try the idea out before you invest in aluminum.