Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Old 01-19-2009, 12:41 AM
is awesome

Trader Rating: (5)

Go to pnracong site and u see watim talking about
Old 01-19-2009, 01:33 AM
Modifier

Trader Rating: (3)
Send a message via ICQ to Skv012a Send a message via AIM to Skv012a Send a message via Yahoo to Skv012a

There are 4-6 motor mounts by PNracing, so no, I don't know which you're talking about. They all work differently and require different rear suspension setups.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:03 PM
is awesome

Its the only one pn has for the mr-01
Old 01-19-2009, 08:44 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (1)

Worry about hop-ups after you know what you want. 25mph or track racing? If you want 25mph, don't waste an MR01 on it. You will not need a 25mph Mini-Z until you race Mod class at the PN World Championships.

If you want to go track racing, which track are you close to? How many laps have you ever driven at your local track? Have you ever asked the people at the track about what to get? Since they race there, don't you think they'd probably know the best about their track? I don't want to be judgmental but you need to know what you want and take your own steps to find some answers.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&r...=mini-z+racing
Old 01-19-2009, 10:03 PM
Modifier

Send a message via ICQ to Skv012a Send a message via AIM to Skv012a Send a message via Yahoo to Skv012a

Color, being a relative beginner myself, it takes ALOT of money to play with all setups and find what one might want. IMO its much better to get an idea of a good all-around car, buy those parts, then see whether it works or not. I'd LOVE to buy both DDS systems, all the motor mounts, camber knucles, etc, but I just don't have a spare $500 to tank on a RC car. I'd love to get one of your chassis, but its way too expensive for what its worth for me right now.

You do bring up an excellent point- finding a local track. No track = no point in any upgrades since you'd never be able to test or fully utilize their potential. Home track is an option given you have the $ and space to spare.

I'd say, jack, buy parts for an all-around setup that you may be able to use outside of 01 for when you upgrade and find/buy a track.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:32 AM
Elite member

I said nothing about buying anything.

Finding out what you want is as straightforward as reading up on what certain parts do, how effective they are, and comparing that data to what you think is missing on your car. I bought my first MR02 with only four additional items: bearings, drift tires, a 94MM motor mount, and an NSX body. I read everything there was to read on the MR02 at the time, and decided that I only needed those four things to get started doing what I planned to do -- drift an MR02. Only later on did I find out that I needed damping (symptoms: poor on-throttle drifting) and thus ordered one of those. As long as you have knowledge, even book knowledge, you can apply it and save yourself money.

Especially comparison tests, if you don't want to buy things to compare yourself, find someone else locally or online who has, and find out what they have to say about it. Thanks to people like yasuji we know that that the latest PN mounts (LCG 94 and LCG 98 V4) are the absolute best that have come out so far; no need to go out and buy the other ones we now know are inferior.

This is why it's important to ask local racers for what one needs, because every track is different and like you said, playing around with setups is expensive. There's so much data out there for standard Mini-Z's it's ridiculous, all you have to do is look in the right place and you will get more than enough information.

For example, if you raced at ILR or Kenon, I could be the guy to point out exactly what your MR01 needs: tires, top shock w/ grease, hard front springs, hard t-plate, and bearings. That will get your setup to 90% of what's ideal... no, not perfect, and your car may not be the fastest thing out there, but it's enough to be able to enjoy your car on the track and run well in the Sportsman racing class.

2jack - Motor mounts are unnecessary until you need to run a 10t pinion, and even then you can mod the stock MR01 pod to do so. Absolutely pointless to buy a new rear pod before you even know what the benefit of an alloy one feels like.

Again, I stress the point that you can find out what you need simply by asking the right people, and not us, because I have no bloody idea what your track looks like or drives like!

Last edited by color0; 01-20-2009 at 01:08 AM..
Old 01-20-2009, 05:41 PM
is awesome

ty very much and i have been doing some research and i need a speedy 07 and front gpm knuckles
Old 01-20-2009, 06:28 PM
Elite member

I question the amount of research you did if you just told me you need a Speedy07, lol... I don't know of a single club in the USA that still races Speedy07 stock class, they'll put you straight into Mod if you run that motor, and you will get pwnhammered by the people who actually race Mod. No joke.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:43 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (4)

jack
in all fairness listen to colouro he REALY knows what he is talking about look over his posts in this thread and read them untill you understand
it will save you a lot of work and a whole load of cash
run your car STOCK till you can keep up with it trust me it will out do you experience

XMS and XMF february COTM winner
Old 01-20-2009, 07:27 PM
is awesome

ok ill do some research then mod
Old 01-21-2009, 03:15 AM
Modifier

I'd say get PN 70 Turn '09 for just $10 or even Salt Lake Mini-Z's Hfay motor and get fully used to those. Not to sound arrogant or anything, but after my 1.5 months of Z'ing, I think I got used to stock motors enough to bump to Speedy. I can keep up with the car and begin fine tuning it not to flip at Sp07 speeds. But thats a full day every weekend against pretty good guys from my area who have semi-mod class cars(only because I don't want to assume its full-mod class cars, they may well be).

So get motors slowly as you get used to them and have full control of the car.