Go Back   XmodSource.com > Xmods > XMOD Electronics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2007, 06:08 PM
The Daywalker

Trader Rating: (1)
Send a message via AIM to Numbchux Send a message via MSN to Numbchux Send a message via Yahoo to Numbchux
Default Electronics FAQ

Here's a list of common Electronics-related questions....if you have something you think should be added...pm me.

Q: What is a 5 or 6 cell mod?
A: It is when you add a 1 AAA holder or a 2 AAA holder in series onto you xmod, giving you more voltage and higher speed (you have to obviously fill the holders with the required AAAs). If you cannot solder, you cannot do this mod. Cell refers to a battery.

Do not exceed ~7.5volts on the stock EP.
Ni-Cd non-rechargeables are 1.5v.
4 cells make 6 volts
5 is 7.5
6 is 9 (too much)

Most Ni-MH rechargeables are 1.2v.
4 is 4.8.
5 is 6
6 is 7.2
7 is 8.4 (too much)

Q: What are li-ions, can I install them, and will they fit my car?
A: Li-ions, or Lithium Ions, are batteries rated at 3.6 volts apiece. AM, as well as many others, makes the kits with batteries. These batteries are AA batteries, but unlike the lithium batteries you see in your local Circuit City, these are rechargable. The only downside with lithiums is that you need to buy a lithium charger, and that they must not go below 3 volts/cell, otherwise they are fried. Quick kits, or kits with battery holders, fit the Civic, Supra, and Skyline, while pro kits, or the kits that hold the batteries on by zipties, fit all cars except the 350Z, which cannot fit li-ions.

Q: Where can I find wiring diagrams for the XMods?
A: right here...from the RadioShack site, these are for Gen 1s only:
Car's internal electronic components wiring diagram:
http://support.radioshack.com/doc/600/rec600-xmods.pdf

Radio's internal electronic components wiring diagram:
http://support.radioshack.com/doc/600/trn600-xmods.pdf

"Where are we going, and why are we in a handbasket?"
Subaru --- All We'll Drive
Member: NSW, USC, MNS, C4C. Founder/Owner: NCC

Last edited by Numbchux; 02-15-2007 at 04:02 AM..
Old 02-17-2007, 06:02 PM
Rethink It All

Trader Rating: (8)
Send a message via AIM to RedSXmodder Send a message via MSN to RedSXmodder
Default Upgrades, functions and need to knows

This has been posted in Modification, but it would probably be really nice here.

Well where do I start,

1) You have FETs which allow more current to the motor, which lets you run hotter motors and bigger batteries.

The most common FET upgrade is stacking, which may prove difficult but may give your Xmod serious gains.

Next are the boards, Your main options are a Nelly or a V2.2. Now what FET boards really are is a giant super effectiive FET. Incredibly easy to use and install, it gives your Xmod huge performance gains. It lets you run incredibly hot motors huge batteries and all sorts of engine modifications.

2) Then you have the wire itself. The thicker the wire, the more current gets to the motor. The more current the faster you go. Xmods use 20g wire I believe. When you upgrade to thicker wire, you really should go with anything from 18g to 15g.

3) Batteries, an important part of making any car run, faster, or just from point A to point B. Batteries run in a series, sort of like Christmas tree lights. Li Ion are tipically used for low drain, and reasonably quick motors. Li Poly with their high drain capabiilities are usually used with HOT motors. You tipically see li-ions in cylindrical, 2cell set ups. 2S2P are becoming popular though (4 AAA sized lithiums.). Lipoly
batteries for Xmods are tipcally 2 or 3cell, but you rarely see a 4cell.

4) The motor! Oh boy...lets see here. Lets start with the basics. A motor is consists of a Aramature, a commutator a set of magnets, a series of wire windings, brushes, a endbell and a can (container).

A can and endbell with ball bearings reduce friction making the motor run smoother and cooler. Also, they prove more heat resistant, so their is less of a chance of melting endbells.

Then there is the commutator, which is what the brushes are in contact and sending electrical current through. The stock Xmods commutator is very ineffective, but upgrading to a Fat commutator coated in silver adds a serious performance gain.

Windings are soldered or crimped onto the comutator, the stock Xmods windings are done by machine, which is severly electrically retarted. A hand wound aramature, which is tightly wound will handle more current more effectively. The fewer windings, the more RPM's but less torque. The more windings, the more torque the less RPM. A stock Xmod FET can handle just above 47T. So if you remove the stock windings and replace it with fewer windings of a thicker wire, you get a serious performance gain. I will be doing handwindings now. PM me.

Magnets, The stronger the magnet, the more powerful your car will be. That is why Neodiymium magnets are becoming more and more popular.

Brushes are usually made from copper, ineffective, but works. They make carbon brushes, which are reliable and durable, and silver brushes, not durable and expensive. Silver brushes are super conductive, but melt really easily. I would reccomend them for cooler motors.

There are 3 tipical types of aramatures. The ones used in Xmods are the tipically used "short" aramature. There are also long, spiral slotted, and other types out there.

You are better off buying pre built motors but if you are a hardcore Junkie, give building a motor a try.

5) Others. There are many other speed upgrades the you can do to your mod to increase speed. Ther is the 6 cell mod, which allows 1-2 extra AAA batteries. This creates more current and makes it faster.

If you have any other questions, just contact me and I'll give you as much help as I can.

Later,
RedSXmodder 8)

Team Redmade Motors- Building Motors that rise above the rest!

Rethink It All

Last edited by RedSXmodder; 02-17-2007 at 06:12 PM..