Go Back   XmodSource.com > Miscellaneous > Real Cars: Full scale > August 08'-09' Build Off
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2009, 08:42 PM
Monte Carlo owner!!!

Trader Rating: (9)
Send a message via AIM to snowboi1289 Send a message via Yahoo to snowboi1289
Default August 08'-09' Build Off: 86 Monte Carlo

I really want planning on coming back to this forum, but I couple people asked me to atleast try to post. I'm going to tell anybody, if you have a negative comment that you know I wont like, then just email it to me, or say it in a good way, instead of saying, "Your car suck's, because it has rust!!", I will ask that member(s) to please edit there post and add atleast something nice. I dont want a flame thread/bash thread/or any other kinda thread that will result in thread delteion due to flame,bash, ect..

Ok, let me start, I bought this car March 31, 2009. It was still raining when I axtually got the car, and when I was looking over everything at my house. It was starting to really get bad, so I just left the battery on charge while in the car (for some reason, the guy never told me that the alternator voltage regulator was bad, he didnt even say it would go dead, doesnt matter).

Theres more rust than I actually seen first, but I'll work on it when the rain finally stops, which might not ever happen, its contantly raining.

Heres some more specs.
87 Camaro IROK 350 engine, bored .30.
Edelbrock carb.

Heres a couple pictures:

And heres a picture of my Monte Carlo next to my friends 85 Fleetwood:

I'll keep the people that are nice updated, for everybody that reply that just wanna say crap, I'll just ignore your posts.

Last edited by bondo; 04-02-2009 at 08:38 AM..
Old 04-01-2009, 08:46 PM
ROTFLSHMSFOAIDMT

Trader Rating: (24)
Send a message via AIM to TheB1GDude Send a message via MSN to TheB1GDude

Nice!! Your gonna have tons of fun with that!!

Duct Tape is like the force:- it has a light side and a dark side and it binds the universe together.....
Old 04-01-2009, 08:49 PM
US Air Force

looks nice, time to get to work and make it drag spec.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:49 PM
Monte Carlo owner!!!

I've already had tons of fun, I now have like 10 new friends, just from the auto parts store! 3 people wanna help me with it, and help by painting interior parts.

I'm sure my x-girlfriend is mad, because I'm getting eye's on everything I do. I can tell, she's not happy, she's prolly talking behind my back.

Edit: Nope, not trying to make it look more like a drag car, the more I do, the more the cops will be watching my every move. I had a video of it, but the camera box got wet, and I couldnt do it in the rain without the camera box.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:54 PM
is awesome

Trader Rating: (5)

just spend all of your money on the engine and make it mean. who needs suspintion when you can run a 10 sec quarter mile lol
Old 04-01-2009, 09:01 PM
Monte Carlo owner!!!

The engine is fine, I'm going to try to rebuild the alternator myself, but if I miss up then that would suck. I can get my current alternator rebuilt for like $47. With new brushes, bushings, all that good stuff. If I can just get the stupid Maxima fixed right, I will get the $200. I need to get the tag. I'm currently using the old tag from the Maxima. I dont wanna spend all the money on the car, I still need to save up for a new home, and I need to pay my mom back from the Maxima wreck.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:08 PM
is awesome

now we should race ill be in flordia this summer im just saying lol jk
Old 04-01-2009, 09:48 PM
Monte Carlo owner!!!

No street racing, I'm 90% against street racing. But if you wanna pay for a track, sure, theres no track around where I live though.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:56 PM
US Air Force

what does the other 10% say? LoL
Old 04-01-2009, 10:00 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25

Another self contradicting statement, of course.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 04-01-2009, 10:01 PM
is awesome

that other 10% is testing out the gas petal
Old 04-01-2009, 10:39 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (13)

First off, using the tag from another vehicle? Wow dude, wow. I hope you get pulled over. I didn't even drive my Camaro until I had a tag for it when I bought it. Only driving I did was transporting it home, and that was only because I had a bill of sale saying I bought it that day.

Secondly, 2jack, do you know that it takes a highly modified suspension to be able to run a 10 second quarter? Probably not.. but it does.

All of that aside, I love that generation of Monte's.. and from the pictures provided it looks to be alright. I still think the car is going to nickel and dime you to death. Funny how you found out about the alternator after you bought it because he didn't tell you.. wonder what else he didn't tell you about? That's the worst thing about buying used from private sellers.

Whatever money you plan on saving for a house, I wish you luck.. because all your money will go to this car.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:51 PM
is awesome

ling it was a joke about how people say american cars are only good for going in strait line. wats your beef with me. also believe it or not i do know a bit about cars considering i built my camaro myself. also sno love the monte there is a blue one near my house i want it

Last edited by 2jack3jack; 04-01-2009 at 10:55 PM..
Old 04-02-2009, 03:34 AM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (0)

Ah. I must admit, I am jealous. I really want one of these GM boxes. Preferably an Olds 442, but I would consider a Monte too.

I wish you luck on this project. You might need it.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:08 AM
Stage 1 member

Trader Rating: (0)

I love the 80's Monte Carlos.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:49 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to fordman239

not too shabby. i like it. i love the ss fiberglass front ends on them too, not bad at all. someday, it could look like this

Old 04-03-2009, 07:12 AM
Monte Carlo owner!!!

I dont know why, but I dont really like the black Monte Carlo's (80's). I dont drive it around, well, I go went down to the gas station just to put some gas into her, everybody just cant get enough of it. I dont have any tag for it yet, because the car is in my name and I need to have the tag into my name also.

I decided to look under the nasty carpet that somebody did not install right (not stock), I found a nice treat, *Rust*, not that bad at all, just a couple large holes. It was poring down rain all this week, but it finally stopped, so I worked all through the night/morning to get it taken apart and ready for treatment (rust treatment, will replace when I have the money to buy new floor pans). Took out all the seats, all the carpet, just nasty. It was like new, but the guy actually used it as a trash can, one open bottle may have ruined that part of the carpet.

I will try to get to the bank today to get some cash (lost my debit card), then buy some rubberized spray paint, more rust treatment, a bunch of interior bulbs, and some exterior bulbs.

The carb. needs tunning, the oil needs to be changed, the alternator needs to be rebuilt (new voltage regulator), and a new tag and it will be ready for the road. For some reason, the speedo doesnt stay still, it just bounces, will have to figure out, also it doesnt show the RPM's.

Heres some great pictures of rust on the pans:

Also rebuilt the windshield wiper motor assm., but it still doesnt go too fast, a lil' time and I'll fix it, might just be a loose wire or bad relay:

Last edited by bondo; 04-03-2009 at 11:09 AM..
Old 04-03-2009, 09:33 AM
Xmod Expert

Trader Rating: (8)
Send a message via AIM to suicide_star Send a message via MSN to suicide_star

i'd spray all that down with rust killer and let it sit for a little bit...then hit it with the grinder really good...pick up some sheet metal from a hardware store and get a hammer and bet them to shape where the need to go and silicone/rivet them down for the time being, unless you know a welder. those floor pans are still salvageable. if you do spray the rubberized undercoating stuff in there, it takes roughly 3 days to cure
Old 04-03-2009, 11:07 AM
All 6's and 7's

Trader Rating: (8)
Send a message via MSN to bondo

take my advice, SLOW DOWN!
your getting a bit too antsy in your pantsy.
devide the car into sections,pick something to work on and stick with it otherwise your going to end up with a huge parts pile scattered about wich usually results in lost parts/screws/bolts and/or forgetting how it goes back together wich results in extra parts/screws/bolts..
you've got enough work in the floorboards that you don't need to be working on the wiper motors.

the best tip i can give you is to prioritize and take your time.
you need to decide if your going to make this a driver or a resto.
if it's going to be a driver then your already going a bit too far.
if it's a resto then you need'nt worry about bulbs right now.

talk to people that know the goins on before you go diving head first into something you know little about.
the reason that i say this is because your already taking 2 steps back for one forward.
some "rust treatment" and rubberized undercoating are not going to cut it.
all that does is create an uber sticky pain in the *** bandaid for the next guy to rip into it.
if you do it right the first time then it wont have to be done again and noone will have to curse you for your BS bandaid.
even if it's you that's going to have to go back and do it again, save yourself a headache, spend 100$ on supplies and do it right.

sand and grind all of that off,paint,rust, all of it.
brush on some ospho let it do it's thing.
sand,grind again and then PAINT it.
put the undercoating ontop of the paint.

then, when it comes time to pull the carpet back up to fix the holes properly,all you have to do is grind a small ring around where your patch is going to go instead of having to do it all over again.

Last edited by bondo; 04-03-2009 at 11:11 AM..
Old 04-03-2009, 11:10 AM
Monte Carlo owner!!!

I dont have much money right now, I know I cant get anykind of sheet metal, because I cant cut it and I dont have a grinder. I need a dremal (if thats how you spell it). I've been spraying the trunk with rust killer, and most of the core support, I may need prolly 2-4 cans of the rust treatment/rust killer.

Right now, I have no way to get to my bank, I have bikes but they all have flat tires, I can walk, but it seems like a bad idea. I would walk, but I'm kinda wanting the time to work on the car while I can.

I'm going to get a small video of the Monte Carlo after all the interior is back in. I cleaned everything but the carpet, I mean I tried to clean it, 5 times. But that thing is just annoying, theres a big gunk/sticky spot from where a open mountain dew bottle used to be (from the guy that sold it to me used it as a trash can basicly). I'm going to sell more and more so I can try to quickly get the money for the tag, because I really would love to drive it now. I can drive it down to the gas station down my street with no problem (because I am getting gas or filling my tires), the cops even said it was ok, unless I'm filling the car up to go somewhere else, that would be a problem. Also if I were to just go get a drink instead of gas or air in the tire, they would have to give me a ticket.

The first car show around here I will go to no matter what, but I have to have a tag ofcourse.

Theres a leak somewhere by the back windows , I have to take that trim off to seal it, but theres a problem, the thing I used to un-screw the seat belt screws got striped, so that is going to be a problem, because I've tried everything else with it, all the screw drivers, lets just say everything.

Edit: What, bondo, I already put the wiper motors back in. It was way before I started on the interior. And about the screws, I have them in bags with a letter, or just where they go. Fuc* it man, I'm just going to walk up to the bank, and get some money. I'm going to do a temp. job, and then when I get all that money from the Maxima payments, I'll go ahead and get new floor pans. I dont have $100. now, and if I did, I wouldnt spend it all on the floor pans which arent too bad, I mean theres holes, I just gotta watch out for large puddles. I'm going to put something over it so it wont get wet inside, but the floor pans will be removed once I have enough money and somebody to weld everything (or I can have a stroke of luck and find a good cheap welder, or even barrow one).

Edit, again: Sorry, just read the top part of your post, its going to be both, resto/daily driver. Theres no problem driving while its getting restored. I'm not going to do stuff like I did in the Maxima, take it off roading go out on long trips, just drive around for no reason, do modifications that make it look extremely ricey, ect. (I cant go on for hours, but I'll stop).

Last edited by snowboi1289; 04-03-2009 at 11:26 AM..