Go Back   XmodSource.com > Miscellaneous > Real Cars: Full scale > January 10'-11' Build Off
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2010, 08:06 AM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (1)

Whenever I had my foglights on people flashed there lights all the time at me & I had them angled down & my truck sits really low compared to the vehicles that are flashin their lights at me. lol

But I can't use them now since the ground isn't connecting right & its causing the switch too get realy hot really fast.

Also get some pics up of that jeep.

TEAM XI
Old 08-28-2010, 02:49 PM
Elite member

Send a message via AIM to BulletsRain

Got Pics up. I love the way it looks and my friends are jealous now. :2thumbsup:

It still needs alignment and it's gotta get re-torqued next week. My rear brakes are almost gone too, so I gotta get some new ones. Also probably need a rear track bar, but it's not urgent.

PICS!

Old 08-28-2010, 03:03 PM
Elite member

Nice, looks alot taller than a 3.5inch lift. i can see a some slight toeing in on the front but not really that noticable.

TEAM XI
Old 08-28-2010, 04:35 PM
Elite member

Well, it hasn't been aligned yet and in the picture the wheel was turned slightly.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:37 PM
Elite member

News of the day I guess. The questions mostly apply to the other forums I have this stuff posted on.

Quote:
So I took so more pictures while I was out testing the 4wd. I haven't got any vibrations up to 45 mph so I think that's a good sign.

I do have some issues to look into.

The front right tire sticks out further from the fender that the left front tire. I have IRO's track double shear track bar and bracket up front... The jeep still hasn't been aligned, it's getting aligned sometime this week, but do you guys think that it's just the alignment causing this?

Also, the rear right tire sticks out further than the lift side, but you can definitely tell the axle has shifted because one shock is slanted slightly. The rear still has the stock trackbar, so I suppose a new track bar would fix this issue right away.

Please let me know if any of you guys have input about the front tire though.

Here are the pics. There is a highway near by and a car honked at me while I was taking them lol. I also got nice jeep yelled at me today from across a big intersection.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:35 PM
Elite member

I think an alignment on the front should solve that problem & as for the rear I'm not really sure. Should ask a shop & see what they say about it (I would do that when you get your alignment done.)

TEAM XI
Old 08-29-2010, 11:10 PM
Elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananabrain View Post
I think an alignment on the front should solve that problem & as for the rear I'm not really sure. Should ask a shop & see what they say about it (I would do that when you get your alignment done.)
Oh, btw your right about the toe in. I didn't see it in the picture, but at work today I noticed it.

The front is being caused by my front trackbar. I just need to adjust it, and the rear will need a new track bar.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:40 AM
Banned

Trader Rating: (0)
Send a message via AIM to Blade.

Independant rear suspension i.e. coils and struts? If so you should be able to adjust the toe, and camber also on the rear.

Simple fix really, just time consuming. Oh, take note. If your Camber and Toe are off, you will have different types of tread wear, and could possibly be paying more for fuel as the vehicle becomes un-efficient with wore tires.

Tom.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:17 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade. View Post
Independant rear suspension i.e. coils and struts? If so you should be able to adjust the toe, and camber also on the rear.

Tom.
This is a Jeep, there is no such thing as IRS on a real Jeep. Rear axles need alignments too, especially after suspension work. When you see trucks driving crooked, it's either frame damage or an axle that's a few degrees twisted.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 08-31-2010, 09:25 PM
Elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade. View Post

Simple fix really, just time consuming. Oh, take note. If your Camber and Toe are off, you will have different types of tread wear, and could possibly be paying more for fuel as the vehicle becomes un-efficient with wore tires.

Tom.
No IRS on my Jeep. I do believe some of the newer ones have them..
I have coils front and rear.

I pay for more fuel as it is anyways. I get 12-13 mpg city now. Which really isn't all that bad IMO.

It's getting aligned tomorrow.

I need a new track bar for the rear to fix the issue.

I also need to look into new U-Joints... I have a clunking/popping noise when I am driving. It happens at random times... when I'm braking.. or a small bump... even on turns.. or when I start up from a stop. The U-Joints are like 14 years old... so it's probably them. Either that or my brakes... which would be a super easy fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan_idiot25 View Post
This is a Jeep, there is no such thing as IRS on a real Jeep. Rear axles need alignments too, especially after suspension work. When you see trucks driving crooked, it's either frame damage or an axle that's a few degrees twisted.
Tex is correct
Old 08-31-2010, 09:30 PM
Elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletsRain View Post
No IRS on my Jeep. I do believe some of the newer ones have them..
I have coils front and rear.

I pay for more fuel as it is anyways. I get 12-13 mpg city now. Which really isn't all that bad IMO.

It's getting aligned tomorrow.

I need a new track bar for the rear to fix the issue.

I also need to look into new U-Joints... I have a clunking/popping noise when I am driving. It happens at random times... when I'm braking.. or a small bump... even on turns.. or when I start up from a stop. The U-Joints are like 14 years old... so it's probably them. Either that or my brakes... which would be a super easy fix.

Tex is correct
My truck makes a clunking/clanking sound, thought it was the U-Joint (Rear one) since that is were the sound was coming from, checked them turned out they were nice & solid & in perfect shape, so after some listening & driving we found out that my rear end is starting too wear out & causing it too slip & make a clanking sound. So now I have to shift my automatic manually to help baby/ save the rear end, since I can't afford to replace it right now.

TEAM XI
Old 08-31-2010, 09:36 PM
Elite member

Quote:
My truck makes a clunking/clanking sound, thought it was the U-Joint (Rear one) since that is were the sound was coming from, checked them turned out they were nice & solid & in perfect shape, so after some listening & driving we found out that my rear end is starting too wear out & causing it too slip & make a clanking sound. So now I have to shift my automatic manually to help baby/ save the rear end, since I can't afford to replace it right now.
I don't like the sound of that.... but if it's the axle I have no problem with laying down cash for a Dana 44.

I am almost willing to bet it's u-joints... if they are 14 years old... they are way past due for a change!
Old 08-31-2010, 09:52 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25

Quote:

but if it's the axle I have no problem with laying down cash for a Dana 44.
I thought the 44 was standard on the rear?

U-Joints will clunk when you change from R to D, and vica versa. When they do die, they make a hellacious grinding noise that's like rocks being crushed, and also a constant scraping/whiring/whining noise as you put a load on it (acceleration). Needless to say, scary noises!

If the clunks came after the lift, check all suspension bolts.

Quote:
Manually shifting an auto does nothing to save your rear end. Every mile you put down damages it more and more. GM axles are dirt cheap, I picked up a 3.73 12 bolt (stronger than yours) for $300.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 09-01-2010, 08:21 AM
Elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan_idiot25 View Post
I thought the 44 was standard on the rear?

U-Joints will clunk when you change from R to D, and vica versa. When they do die, they make a hellacious grinding noise that's like rocks being crushed, and also a constant scraping/whiring/whining noise as you put a load on it (acceleration). Needless to say, scary noises!

If the clunks came after the lift, check all suspension bolts.

Manually shifting an auto does nothing to save your rear end. Every mile you put down damages it more and more. GM axles are dirt cheap, I picked up a 3.73 12 bolt (stronger than yours) for $300.
Well I only shift it when I am stopping, which is when it clanks as I slow down I know were the shift point is speed wise & rpm wise & I down shift through the gears until I am stopped. Which keeps there rear from clanking if I do that, if I don't do that then It clanks until I am stopped.

Also I am on the hunt right now for a 12 bolt rear end with 3:73 gears (Like the one I have now) & if I can get one with some disc brakes & maybe a posi on it that would be nice.

TEAM XI
Old 09-01-2010, 06:28 PM
Elite member

The dana 44 came standard on the Grand Cherokees with the V8 engines, or a tow package. Pretty sure I don't have the tow package because then I would of had tow hooks. The 35 is a weak axle... but it can turn 31's just fine.

I did some research and found someone who had the same exact noise and from the description its exactly like my issue. The problem was the U-joints. My are rusted, which means they are BAD. So new U-joints going on this weekend. Hopefully nothing breaks before then!
Old 02-19-2011, 01:47 PM
Elite member

Wow I haven't updated this thread in the longest time.
All of it is posted on Jeepforum.

Maybe one day I can transfer it over.
Old 02-19-2011, 02:01 PM
Elite member

Okay so refresher on things... up to the current point.

Clunk was the U-Joints

So, I didn't get a chance to post pics of the driveline work. I got all new spicer u-joints and I got my drive shafts rebalanced. They also painted them black, which made me happy.

This cured most of the clunking noise, but it is still there. I believe I have figured out the problem though. Since the rear axle is shifted to the passenger side the right rear sway bar is hitting the coil spring causing a clunk. So, as soon as I can, I'm ordering up a new rear track bar.

Here are the pics.

Then I got took hooks
Got my tow hooks and brackets today! I got to sanding on them right away them shot them with some flat black paint. They look brand new.

I'm going to go get new hardware for them tomorrow then put them on.
I'll take pics tomorrow. Pics are always good :thumbsup:

Brackets before sanding

Hooks after paint

I'll get pics of the brackets painted tomorrow or later tonight. :thumbsup:

Does anyone know where to get factory color paint? I got a couple spots on my roof peeling pretty bad and I would like to get it out of the way. I also have various other small spots around the vehicle, and I would really like to do it myself and not have to take it any where to get it done.
Old 02-19-2011, 02:02 PM
Elite member

Tow Hook install

So what was a simple tow hook install turned into an afternoon into evening project.

The darn plastic clips that hold the bumper on were being a PITA, so I finally just cut them off. After that, the left side of the bumper wouldn't budge. When that finally came off I got to work installing the tow hooks. It was all going good, until I got to the bracket that holds the hook.

The shop that put my radiator in like a year ago, freaking messed it up. This was after they had already put one in wrong. They didn't line up the bottom radiator bracket with the little snap in plastic thingy. So The radiator stuck out further on the driver side, than the passenger side, not allowing the tow hook bracket to line up right.

After an hour or so moving the radiator around trying to get the clip out, it finally just broke. So I said screw it, forget that little plastic clip. With the clip gone, the radiator when into place and the tow hook bracket went on now.

Everything after that went fine... except the 30-45 minutes I spent at Autozone looking for the right plastic rivets and then waiting in line. :rolleyes:

I hate it when you run into stuff that you have to fix along the way, but hey sometimes it makes the day more fun. :2thumbsup:

I didn't get pics of them on, because it was like 8 pm when we got it all done. Too dark for pics. I'll get pics tomorrow, but here are the ones I did manage to find time to take. :laugh:

These brackets painted

Bumper and grille off

Where my PA speaker is located

Where my ballasts are for the HID lights in the fogs

Pics of Hooks...

Just uploaded some pics of the hooks..

Old 02-19-2011, 02:04 PM
Elite member

CB antenna Fail

Well, planned to mount my firestik today... but... we got in a hurry, drilled the hole way too big on the first mount, cut and grinded a second one, painfully drilled another hole. Then we drilled the hols under the driver side tail light, well a little in front of it... Well guess what? We never freaking measured the mount so it was way to short. It needs to be about 2 inches longer I think. Oh well, tomorrow is another day.

Pics..

Spot where it's mounted

Small tight hole to reach the bolts to put the nuts on. That hole made me mad.

As you can clearly see, this mount = fail.

More

Alright well first off, I got to drive in some dense fog this morning. I think it's weird because the camera pics look so much clearer than it actually was. At one point I was using my phone to drive because I could see the road with the phone and I really couldn't see more than 40 feet in front of me. Anyways, took fog pics.

Got the mount done for the antenna.. it is Stainless steel, and I painted it black.

Location where I decided to put the bracket...

Coax cable running through this hole

This is right behind that removable panel in the rear cargo area on the driver side in ZJ's.

Also decided to paint this step thing

I had to take a pic with the bumper off

The mount done

Antenna

Another pic

Step thing

Random pic out when I was trying to tune the antenna tonight..

Okay... and now I think I have a problem. When tuning the antenna, I got really really high SWR's. I checked my coax, moved the washers around to see if that was it... nothing changed. It reads the same high SWR every time. I finally got a hold of my friend to see how the washer went, and I had them right so I was really confused. He said I should of sanded down the spot where the bracket mounted to the body, and I probably should of...
What do you guys think is causing the high SWR? I mean I know I mounted the antenna low, but I kind of figured it would still work... Do I need to raise it up more?

I just really want to get it right... I haven't had my CB hooked up in a long time. I want it back :laugh:

Any help is appreciated.
Old 02-19-2011, 02:06 PM
Elite member

Rear trackbar on

Finally got the rear track bar on..
Adjusted the front and rear so now my axles are mostly centered. It also fixed my clunking noise, but I have a squeaking noise coming front up front somewhere on the right side. Probably a bushing on something.

I went to the off road place today and there was two lifted Zj's there. They were badass!

Anyways, pic

MOre Updates...

Well set up my old Wilson Lil Wil for a temporary setup to have when wheeling this weekend. Oh yea, don't know if I mentioned but my buddies and I are running some trails with Ozarks Jeep Thing this weekend. Should be a good time, we are hitting some light trails in the afternoon, then hitting mild trails around 7:30 p.m. so night wheeling! :thumbsup:

Hopefully my dad's work will make me the new bracket for my firestik soon, so I can get it on there. I'm also finally picking up my 5th spare tomorrow. It's taken so long because.. well I was low on money, and my 5th wheel had a tiny hole in it so it leaked air. Hopefully we fixed that problem.

Anyways, pic for the day.

Off roadin pics

Well, one of my friends backed out from going because he wanted to watch the MU game, so we didn't go to SMORR. Instead we went to Gladetop in just my jeep, with 8 other jeeps. It was a fun time, my ZJ did great. It has some new trail badges too. It earned some trail stripes even, well maybe not some more like hundreds... :laugh::rofl: Seriously though, when you wheel on ATV trails, they can get pretty narrow. Nothing we can't buff out though. I was really impressed with my Jeep though, and I'm glad I finally got a chance to go.

I took some pictures, but I wish I would have taken about 100 more... :laugh:
We wheeled for about 7 hours, until it got dark. They were going to go up the road about 30 minutes and night wheel, but I decided I didn't want to chance braking anything, since I hadn't yet. :2thumbsup: We even did some rock crawling too, actually there was a lot of rock ledges and stuff, pretty small stuff, but for my first time out it seemed big. :laugh:
Anyways here are the pics.