Go Back   XmodSource.com > Miscellaneous > Real Cars: Full scale > January 10'-11' Build Off
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2010, 09:29 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25

Fairly stock 350, mild cam and headers. Stock ratings were 260hp and 360ft lb of torque.

Deal is just about final. Waiting for the CRX buyer to come pick it up, basically.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 08-31-2010, 10:03 PM
is awesome

flat tops or dish? what is the comp ratio? and also awesome glad to hear the deal is going through
Old 09-01-2010, 03:59 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Google the specs for a stock truck 350 (block numbers put it to just before the power drop in the mid 70s), and ignore any cam specs or mention of exhaust manifolds. It's pretty simple to figure it out when I say- "stock 350 with a mild cam and headers" as to what it has.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 09-01-2010, 05:40 PM
is awesome

Chill man just asking a question, and I thought you were running a 350 out of a 1969 camaro.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:52 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Today I sold the CRX. I'll be honest to say that the little beater **** box grew onto me over the past 3 months, and sold me on the fun to drive small car. It's honestly one of the best (none sports car) cars I've ever driven, mixing together an almost unbeatable combination of economy and driving joy. It's only foibles were it's age, and it's model for where I now live. The HF is just not the car for hill country. It's a perfect city car as I've learned this month, living in Austin. It's a perfect car for flat lands and running along the highway at 80mph (at 3100 rpm!) while still managing 36 mpg! But, when the elevation changes I'm left either gasping for more power, or wishing for more brakes. And, at 252,000 miles, I'm looking for something that's a little easier to work on for years to come.

Beyond that, tight and unassisted steering communicates everything to your hands, and is hardly a nuisance at low speeds. It's high up on my list of "good". After driving a few Miatas, as well as my new one I still almost prefer the cable clutch. The shifter is a bit long, but it matched the rather slow revving HF engine. And, most shockingly in all, the HF proved what Honda is capable of. I never gave it much thought, but the HF is a nice little torque machine for a 4 banger. Honda's intent with the 8 valve motor was to create a car that could hum around all day under 2000-3000 rpm, and after driving a few 4 banger cars, I almost miss it. It's nice putting it in third (4th gear for normal 5spds) and just putting the pedal down and letting it run on up at a rather solid pace. Rarely needed to shift! Being ridiculously light, it handled superbly, and that is what WILL eventually bring me back to these cars. Even the lowly HF was a total joy on the back roads after I threw on that sway bar. And, truly, this car is what converted me from the CAMAROS RULE ALL state of mind to appreciating a truly good handling car. Not always the most capable car, but leagues better than anything in it's price range, class, hell, anything from Honda since then. And ****, that hatch could carry an unholy amount of stuff, like an entire Si drivetrain! Probably what I'll miss most compared to the new car.

So, I'll be back some day. It will be fuel injected next time, I just can't live with a CVCC car being my DD. It's more of a practicality thing in the end, and wanting more than what the little guy can provide for me right now.

The new owner is a highly eccentric Austinite who defines the "Keep Austin Weird" motto. He can even shift with his feet! But, the CRX was one of his dream cars, and I let it goto him even though another person gave me a bit higher offer. It went so someone who would love it, rather than just use it.

The replacement cheap fun to drive and fuel efficient car is a clean '90 Miata. Don't knock it, it's cute as hell but proves to be one of the best little sports cars ever produced.

HAY BOYS[/I]

Last edited by texan_idiot25; 09-02-2010 at 12:03 AM..
Old 09-02-2010, 12:19 AM
Back from the bodyshop

Trader Rating: (1)

Honestly I actually like that miata they are fun little cars. But can you drive it comfortably? For some reason I kind of thought you were tall and it wouldn't be easy lol im not sure why.

http://www.nickgrant.co.uk/londontobrighton/013.gif
./_ _ _ ___ __\.
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
Old 09-02-2010, 12:24 AM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

I'm about 6' 1", but even with the top up it's not too bad. Would kinda like the pedals further back, but it's pretty comfortable. Top down, no problems. Windshield is a hair low, but no worse than the CST10 (very up right windshield, also blocks traffic lights sometimes).

It's a tiny car, even compared to the CRX. It seems a lot shorter, especially with the top down. The ride is a bit harsher too, but way better seats.

I can't wait to see how big it is compared to the CST10 Got it for a *****in' deal, and should prove to be much more reliable than the CRX. Plus insurance is cheaper too.

Last edited by texan_idiot25; 09-02-2010 at 12:29 AM..
Old 09-02-2010, 12:31 AM
XMS ADMINISTRATOR

Trader Rating: (17)

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you get out of the CRX? How much are you getting the Miata for?
My XMODS
Proud member of Team NCXR

WANTED: Gen. 1 cf Chassis Upgrade (just parts from the upgrade will do fine)
Old 09-02-2010, 12:37 AM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Bought the CRX essentially for $200. Including registration, and all the parts I put into it, I had about $700 (total) into it I think. The ignition system melt down from a few weeks ago was a big budget buster. However, I put it on craigslist looking for a straight trade, and just put a high price in the box to see if anyone would bite. Sold it at that price, $1500, to a young dude who's always wanted a CRX. An eccentric charactor who puts the weird in "Keep Austin Weird", but a cool guy and I'm glad it's going to someone who's going to really like it. The Miata I got for $1700, a liiiiiitle high, but the cheapest one for it's condition in Houston, San Antonio, or Austin. He originally wanted $2500, so I think I did well in the end.

Basically, CRX went for a roughly $800 profit, and I only spent $200 additionally to get the Miata. With insurance being much cheaper, the small change in fuel mileage (the CRX was only getting 35 here in hill country) is totally negligible. Should it prove to be reliable, by next summer the CST10 will get lots of lovin' if I can keep my hands off from playing with this one.

Last edited by texan_idiot25; 09-02-2010 at 12:39 AM..
Old 09-02-2010, 02:36 AM
XMS ADMINISTRATOR

Trader Rating: (17)

It sounds like both you and the (now) owner of the CRX both came out on this! At least the new owner is someone that you know will take good care of it and not abuse it as other's would.
My XMODS
Proud member of Team NCXR

WANTED: Gen. 1 cf Chassis Upgrade (just parts from the upgrade will do fine)
Old 09-02-2010, 08:50 AM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

And the saga of the CRX ends.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:23 AM
Advance member

Trader Rating: (0)

Tex, hard top. Hard top.

It'll improve your AC and heats ability to do their jobs and you will look less hetero challenged, which will be helpful in austin.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:27 AM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by surgeon View Post
Tex, hard top. Hard top.

It'll improve your AC and heats ability to do their jobs and you will look less hetero challenged, which will be helpful in austin.

I'd love to get a hard top, but they're pricey. And I'm comfortable with the top down on my Man-iata.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:33 AM
Advance member

While back I talked my grandmother into getting a miata vs a motorcycle, we found a hardtop for her for 500 bucks....which isn't to bad for all the heating it provides in the winter.

edit: And you had to realize I was going to try to steal a man card from you for that. lol
Old 09-02-2010, 10:36 AM
ROTFLSHMSFOAIDMT

Trader Rating: (24)
Send a message via AIM to TheB1GDude Send a message via MSN to TheB1GDude

Wow.... that sure is one mantastic little ride you got yourself right there....

Duct Tape is like the force:- it has a light side and a dark side and it binds the universe together.....
Old 09-02-2010, 12:50 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Quote:
While back I talked my grandmother into getting a miata vs a motorcycle, we found a hardtop for her for 500 bucks....which isn't to bad for all the heating it provides in the winter.
A/C needs to be recharged and leak tested, but it's fall so I'm not too worried about it. The CST10 didn't have a heater the last 2 winters I used it (only had it fixed for a month or two w/ barsleak), so anything is better than before. More worried about shocks, brakes, and engine tune up **** 1st. Car has enough bounce to make it one of the hairiest cars I've ever driven in a fast corner. Way more fun than the CRX though, it's pretty eager to go fast in corners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheB1GDude View Post
Wow.... that sure is one mantastic little ride you got yourself right there....
Maybe one day I'll have it as manly as a rice Mustang. One day...

Last edited by texan_idiot25; 09-02-2010 at 12:52 PM..
Old 09-02-2010, 06:09 PM
Xmod Expert

Trader Rating: (8)
Send a message via AIM to suicide_star Send a message via MSN to suicide_star

So...LS1 Miata??? ZOOM-ZOOM. Looks clean and will probably be a significantly more reliable car than the CRX; however, even though it's blue and doesn't have a Twilight sticker on the back, you're still going to have guys looking over to see who that chick with the curly hair is sitting in the driver's seat.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:40 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (1)

Man nice miata, those things are a dime a dozen were I live. I thought about picking one up just for something with really good gas milage. But only things for sale were I live are convertables, no hard tops. I know that they didn't make alot of hard top Miata's back in the late 80's & 90's. I've checked & havn't seen much.

I thought It would be cool to get one & do a V8 Swap & throw a sb 350 in it. I have seen it done a few times & I think there are few were I live that are like that.

TEAM XI
Old 09-02-2010, 08:25 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicide_star View Post
So...LS1 Miata??? ZOOM-ZOOM. Looks clean and will probably be a significantly more reliable car than the CRX; however, even though it's blue and doesn't have a Twilight sticker on the back, you're still going to have guys looking over to see who that chick with the curly hair is sitting in the driver's seat.
LS1 Miata, fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck yeah!

Eventually, I think black wheels will make it a bit less cute.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:34 PM
Advance member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan_idiot25 View Post

Eventually, I think black wheels will make it a bit less cute.
Heck yeah, I was going to suggest that. Maybe even do some rice things like tinting the taillights black, so when it is parked, it does present the question of gender. That could be a dudes car. A can of rustoleum sating black spray will do wonders.

Also, this would be a great autocross car.