Go Back   XmodSource.com > Xmods > XMOD Electronics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Old 04-15-2007, 03:52 PM
Xmod Expert

Trader Rating: (12)

I have a motor with a cap soldered on there, it's a stage 2 rewound gen 1 motor and it actually performs better than my other rewound gen 1 motors. It's not necessarily faster as it is more smooth and responsive. I've been doing a lot of testing of different motors for my Fairlady Z drifter. I'm no electronics expert but those are just my conclusions from the feel of driving the chasis.

When I did test the motors I used the same brand batteries the same controller etc. that way non of that would be a factor in my testing. I wasn't really testing the capacitor, it's just I noticed the motor with the capaitor drove better than those with the stock ones.

Like I said though...I don't have an explainantion for that cause I'm not an electronics expert (im still learning though)
Old 04-15-2007, 03:54 PM
XMS Administrator

Trader Rating: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
It kinda hit me this morning.

The Evo servo motor only has two wires right? What about mounting the cap to help the servo with more torque, cause the stock evo servo is crap?
The cap would only get charged when there was power going to it...power only goes to the servo when it is turning the wheels, so this would not work. (this is why putting a bigger cap on the motor is useless)
Old 04-15-2007, 04:13 PM
Xmod Expert

Trader Rating: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
It kinda hit me this morning.

The Evo servo motor only has two wires right? What about mounting the cap to help the servo with more torque, cause the stock evo servo is crap?
Switch the caps to resistors and you have your own tight-turns kit
Old 04-15-2007, 04:20 PM
XMS Administrator

Trader Rating: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic_guy View Post
I have a motor with a cap soldered on there, it's a stage 2 rewound gen 1 motor and it actually performs better than my other rewound gen 1 motors. It's not necessarily faster as it is more smooth and responsive. I've been doing a lot of testing of different motors for my Fairlady Z drifter. I'm no electronics expert but those are just my conclusions from the feel of driving the chasis.

When I did test the motors I used the same brand batteries the same controller etc. that way non of that would be a factor in my testing. I wasn't really testing the capacitor, it's just I noticed the motor with the capaitor drove better than those with the stock ones.

Like I said though...I don't have an explainantion for that cause I'm not an electronics expert (im still learning though)
I can definitely see how it would make it smoother as the output from the fets is a square wave and the cap would smooth the wave out. I just meant that there would be no power gain by using one on the motor. There are two caps on the motor in stock configuration...one to help smooth out the square wave and one to reduce electrical noise created by the brushes.
Old 04-15-2007, 04:23 PM
Xmod Expert

Trader Rating: (12)

Yeah, I wasn't arguing with ya or anything I just figured I'd share what I've experienced just solely by driving them.