Go Back   XmodSource.com > Xmods > XMOD Modification
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2010, 11:10 PM
drifter and engineer

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to XMDrifter

true, but i don't have any way to buy a normal gen1 awd kit so...nothing really i can do about it. most i can do is get some oil and lube it up and hope for the best.

if i can retool the towers to accept diff bearings/normal diff size and re-work the knuckles to accept the axle shaft bearings, it could be made more effective.

this diff is not a normal diff either, i had to use truck joint cups on a car ring gear to get it to fit.

Last edited by XMDrifter; 02-01-2010 at 11:17 PM..
Old 02-01-2010, 11:19 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (4)

ma-010 cvd's won't work.I know they work on the stock gen 1.At least u can have bearings in the knuckles that way
Quote:
Originally Posted by XMDrifter View Post
true, but i don't have any way to buy a normal gen1 awd kit so...nothing really i can do about it. most i can do is get some oil and lube it up and hope for the best.

if i can retool the towers to accept diff bearings/normal diff size and re-work the knuckles to accept the axle shaft bearings, it could be made more effective.

this diff is not a normal diff either, i had to use truck joint cups on a car ring gear to get it to fit.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:34 PM
Working Class Hero

Trader Rating: (32)
Send a message via MSN to TripleXmodder(akaXXX)

Ok, ive been getting a bunch of PMs about the MA010 adapter kit. This is the first preview. Brett finished up the CAD and I have already sent it to get CNC'd. The first 3 sets will be made from black styrene .125" thick, these are purely to test fit that nothing needs to be changed and if we want to do any cosmetic changes after it is assembled on an Evo. After that they will get cut from an undetermined plastic. If you have any suggestions (REAL suggestions from knowledge and experience) on a plastic to use, please let me know.

XXX FREE modding Service: http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17800
PM me for a quote or any questions. HAPPY MODDING

100% Positive Itrader feedback http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/itrader.php?u=6901
Old 02-05-2010, 10:46 PM
Subaru Nut

Trader Rating: (7)

What about delrin. Or or cutting board material?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donziikid View Post
You can't fix stupid.
MY TUTORIALS
SNOW PLOW
HUMMER DROP HITCH
DULLY TIRE TUT
Old 02-05-2010, 10:52 PM
Working Class Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadV8 View Post
What about delrin. Or or cutting board material?
I wanted to use Delrin, but it doesn't adhere to itself with adhesive, and these parts need to do that.

XXX FREE modding Service: http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17800

100% Positive Itrader feedback http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/itrader.php?u=6901
Old 02-06-2010, 12:13 AM
Banned

Trader Rating: (14)

Why not make a whole new chassis with the front adapter made from CF.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:23 AM
Raycer

Trader Rating: (0)
Send a message via AIM to brettley Send a message via MSN to brettley

Quote:
Originally Posted by lol View Post
Why not make a whole new chassis with the front adapter made from CF.
im assuming its because you have to have more than just a slab, and a whole new chassis would be out of reason.

I may not know what im talking about, but i think that may be the reason?

2010 Mustang EVO ----- 65 Mustang EVO
Z06 Corvette EVO ------ 350z Gen1
Old 02-06-2010, 02:27 AM
Banned

Trader Rating: (14)

Of course I have a slab.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:58 AM
Elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleXmodder(akaXXX) View Post
Ok, ive been getting a bunch of PMs about the MA010 adapter kit. This is the first preview. Brett finished up the CAD and I have already sent it to get CNC'd. The first 3 sets will be made from black styrene .125" thick, these are purely to test fit that nothing needs to be changed and if we want to do any cosmetic changes after it is assembled on an Evo. After that they will get cut from an undetermined plastic. If you have any suggestions (REAL suggestions from knowledge and experience) on a plastic to use, please let me know.
very very nice work both of you

im still trying to find you the info on that carbon graphite composite dude that may be an option depending how it mills
but glueing together shouldnt be a problem with epoxy
i would be very inclined to get a quote on a 3 axis miller to do the job in one peice if i was you

XMS and XMF february COTM winner
Old 02-06-2010, 09:10 AM
Im So Smart I Seem Dumb

Send a message via Skype™ to cycygrace

this has to have been the longest thread ever and the knuckle adapter kit looks good : )

People will think your smarter
Old 02-06-2010, 10:18 AM
Xmod Expert

Trader Rating: (8)
Send a message via AIM to winner

it looks good, dont get me wrong, but i look at it this way
starter kit=$50
stock ma10 swing shafts (4)=$10
ma10 knuckles (4)= $20
the conversion kit itself= lets say $20?

and with that you have a $100 that may preform a bit better, but still has crappy electronics... throw a board swap in there
mini-z board=like $30 last time i checked
mini-z transmitter= like $20?

that will put you up to $150.... and it still will not compare to an mini-z... in my opionion you better off getting a mini-z ma10

XBL Gamer Tag : Roar Pants
Old 02-06-2010, 10:40 AM
Elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winner View Post
starter kit=$50
ma10 knuckles (4)= $20

and with that you have a $100 that may preform a bit better, but still has crappy electronics... throw a board swap in there

that will put you up to $150.... and it still will not compare to an mini-z... in my opionion you better off getting a mini-z ma10
I agree with you 100%. However, the mentality of many members on here is that its better to have built a car that performs worse than a Mini-Z even if it costs the same, because its fun to build it. Its weird to me but I know because I've had this conversation before.

Personally, for me, performance is king. I'd rather buy the MA-010 and put my time into getting it perfectly tweaked for a track and practicing my driving skill on an actual track. Then again I like to race competitively.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:52 AM
Elite member

you see thats the thing

if you want to race get a miniz

if you want to have fun make your own parts and just generally screw around buy an xmod

i have both and keep them separately i dont do bodywork on my Z's that would be pointless
and i dont race my xmods as thats not what there about

XMS and XMF february COTM winner
Old 02-06-2010, 11:19 AM
Elite member

all i have to say is i will buy this kit.The MA-010 is a nice car but has it's problems.Also i like how the batteries are on bottom of the evo.So with the 2.4 board that im buying and now the MA-010 knuckles i'll have a car that will run very well and still have the chassis i like better.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:21 PM
Raycer

i personaly think i would take the upgrades to an Xmod to get mini z performance, i think thats more of an accomplishment than spending the $150 and getting a car like that, i would say bragging rights have a big part of the whole getting an xmod better than a mini z thing.

atleast thats my opinion

Old 02-06-2010, 12:34 PM
Working Class Hero

Quote:
starter kit=$50
ma10 knuckles (4)= $20

We would assume no one would be going just to purchase this setup and spending $140 or whatever in one pop... (Buy a Z) that's the point, maybe you already have an Xmod, u got for Xmas or somthing.. (Knuckles and CVDs are 1/2 the price u posted, and less when trading or ebay) very cost effective and fun, I make the part for myself and some buddy's ..i have plenty of spare knuckles and cvds for MA010.. if other members want to build their own or buy a kit then ok..

I did post that about the elctronics... the whole kit, will have iwaver/RV board, the knuckle adapters and a chassis.. It will be a realatively cheap conversion that will make your Xmod FUN to ride around a track with friends... because personnally I can't stand the glitches and sloppy irritating driving of an Xmod.

And the Biggest thing here is that Young members or Xmodders, racers.. Don't have $160.00 to throw out all al once.. Maybe they got their Xmod as a gift.. $0.. they ebay or trade for some knuckles CVDs $1-?, and the kit would be the only real $$ spent, and less if they made the kit themselves.. etc.. You know how it goes.. And if your spending that much on Xmods then, man... I bargain shop craigslist and ebay, trade the forums..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action B View Post
I agree with you 100%. However, the mentality of many members on here is that its better to have built a car that performs worse than a Mini-Z even if it costs the same, because its fun to build it. Its weird to me but I know because I've had this conversation before.

Personally, for me, performance is king. I'd rather buy the MA-010 and put my time into getting it perfectly tweaked for a track and practicing my driving skill on an actual track. Then again I like to race competitively.
1. "The mentality of member's" performs worse than, costs more than... ?? First off It is not more expensive than buying a Mini-Z, by using flat sheet instead of 3D the cost is unimaginably low and as for knuckles and CVD's... those prices quoted were twice as much as the stock parts..even on atomicmods.com a set of 4 knuckles is only $11.00 and most of us can get that stuff on ebay or somwhere or have those parts laying around.

2. "The mentality of member's" performs worse than, costs more than... ?? It is about MODDING, or building with your hands, experimenting with your ideas, and engaging your brain in the engineering process of design, and has nothing to do with RACING.... which is what you keep comparing modding too. Just except it is two diferent things. It's the young modders that may oneday design that car of the future...

3. I have 4 Mini-z MR02's now, and 2 MA010's... fine tuned for racing and I understand the difference.... "The mentality of member's" I can't believe you are so closed minded on this... The process brings practical application to your ideas, and develops an understanding of functions of a machine.. It is also fun.

4. Don't mod or play with Xmods, I don't know what to say.......
I make the part for myself and some buddy's NOT TO SAY...I CAN BEAT A MINI-Z..

PLEASE STOP ASSUMING..... I completely agree, that a Mini-Z is 180% better then an Xmod at racing, and it is rediculous to think otherwise.

Old 02-06-2010, 12:55 PM
Elite member

Quote:
We would assume no one would be going just to purchase this setup and spending $140 or whatever in one pop... (Buy a Z) that's the point, maybe you already have an Xmod, u got for Xmas or somthing.. (Knuckles and CVDs are 1/2 the price u posted, and less when trading or ebay) very cost effective and fun, I make the part for myself and some buddy's ..i have plenty of spare knuckles and cvds for MA010.. if other members want to build their own or buy a kit then ok..

I did post that about the elctronics... the whole kit, will have iwaver/RV board, the knuckle adapters and a chassis.. It will be a realatively cheap conversion that will make your Xmod FUN to ride around a track with friends... because personnally I can't stand the glitches and sloppy irritating driving of an Xmod.

And the Biggest thing here is that Young members or Xmodders, racers.. Don't have $160.00 to throw out all al once.. Maybe they got their Xmod as a gift.. $0.. they ebay or trade for some knuckles CVDs $1-?, and the kit would be the only real $$ spent, and less if they made the kit themselves.. etc.. You know how it goes.. And if your spending that much on Xmods then, man... I bargain shop craigslist and ebay, trade the forums..

1. "The mentality of member's" performs worse than, costs more than... ?? First off It is not more expensive than buying a Mini-Z, by using flat sheet instead of 3D the cost is unimaginably low and as for knuckles and CVD's... those prices quoted were twice as much as the stock parts..even on atomicmods.com a set of 4 knuckles is only $11.00 and most of us can get that stuff on ebay or somwhere or have those parts laying around.

2. "The mentality of member's" performs worse than, costs more than... ?? It is about MODDING, or building with your hands, experimenting with your ideas, and engaging your brain in the engineering process of design, and has nothing to do with RACING.... which is what you keep comparing modding too. Just except it is two diferent things. It's the young modders that may oneday design that car of the future...

3. I have 4 Mini-z MR02's now, and 2 MA010's... fine tuned for racing and I understand the difference.... "The mentality of member's" I can't believe you are so closed minded on this... The process brings practical application to your ideas, and develops an understanding of functions of a machine.. It is also fun.

4. Don't mod or play with Xmods, I don't know what to say.......
I make the part for myself and some buddy's NOT TO SAY...I CAN BEAT A MINI-Z..

PLEASE STOP ASSUMING..... I completely agree, that a Mini-Z is 180% better then an Xmod at racing, and it is rediculous to think otherwise.
Actually, I am being extremely open minded. I am in fact arguing your point for you. I said "many" people, not all, would prefer to build their xmod in this way, than buy a mini-z. They get enjoyment out of modding and that is FINE. Its not what I like, but I can completely see why others would. This is why I said the cost and performance don't matter as much because thats not the point for people who enjoy doing this. It could cost more and perform less but it was fun to build, its fun to see the improvement on the xmods and so to them they don't care if it stacks up against the Mini-Z, its worth it. Of course, as brettley has mentioned, some people like to mod for bragging rights, that's fine too. I prefer the easy way out.

I know that its about MODDIG triple x, my original post, unedited says that "its because its fun to build it" or in other words, many people feel its fun to mod the xmods. The pricing example of costing more and performing less was just an example saying that its not always about money vs. performance for modders.

I think both I and reaper are extremely open minded here.

Last edited by Action B; 02-06-2010 at 01:11 PM..
Old 02-06-2010, 01:37 PM
Working Class Hero

sorry if I took it the wrong way, by the way it read it sounded like you were saying we were simple minded. I have a lot of respect for you as a racer and understand that's your passion. Again sorry I took it that way.. My big thing for this conversion is to make the Xmod fun to drive and get rid of the horrible performance as an Rc car not a racer (the PCB swap) and for me the knuckle adapter opens up a lot of options for wheels and offsets for cosmetic reasons, when I made the kit it just so happened that I noticed a big improvment in the suspension.. Once I have this kit completely assembled I can say that it would make friendly races at the local track a lot more enjoyable racing along minizs and not spending most of the time pinned to the rail and hitting the reverse. There is no way it would make an Xmod an equal option to a miniz, that's not the goal... So I guess we can agree with that. If you remember I always advocated against putting a $80 miniz board in an Xmod, but rather use an iwaver pcb or rv.. It is about trying to do it in a cost effective way. I'm trying to decide on a plastic to use that will perform well but will keep the price low to make it worth putting on an Xmod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action B View Post
Actually, I am being extremely open minded. I am in fact arguing your point for you. I said "many" people, not all, would prefer to build their xmod in this way, than buy a mini-z. They get enjoyment out of modding and that is FINE. Its not what I like, but I can completely see why others would. This is why I said the cost and performance don't matter as much because thats not the point for people who enjoy doing this. It could cost more and perform less but it was fun to build, its fun to see the improvement on the xmods and so to them they don't care if it stacks up against the Mini-Z, its worth it. Of course, as brettley has mentioned, some people like to mod for bragging rights, that's fine too. I prefer the easy way out.

I know that its about MODDIG triple x, my original post, unedited says that "its because its fun to build it" or in other words, many people feel its fun to mod the xmods. The pricing example of costing more and performing less was just an example saying that its not always about money vs. performance for modders.

I think both I and reaper are extremely open minded here.

Old 02-06-2010, 01:38 PM
Xmod Expert

Send a message via AIM to winner

Quote:
starter kit=$50
ma10 knuckles (4)= $20

Quote:
those prices quoted were twice as much as the stock parts..even on atomicmods.com a set of 4 knuckles is only $11.00 and most of us can get that stuff on ebay or somwhere or have those parts laying around.
here we go, xxx is a great person and i have nothing against him, i was just trying to give my opinion

starterkit=$50, we all know from rs...
stock swing shafts=
http://www.atomicmods.com/Products/K...ft__12236.aspx
atomic has them for $14(minus shipping) i put them at $10

ma10 knuckles
http://www.atomicmods.com/Products/A...ee__14254.aspx

i had them at $20 atomic had them for $18 (not including shipping

mini-z board=
http://www.atomicmods.com/Products/K...bo__12238.aspx
i had posted at $30.... atomic has them for $100 without shipping.

mini-z transmitter=
[url]http://www.atomicmods.com/Products/Mini-Z-Stock-Remote-Controller__10827.aspx[url]
i had for $20 atomic had them for $30 (minus shipping)..

now that i have the pages to back it up.... it puts you at $198 minus shipping.

hmm, lets see, i had guessed around $150..... and you said my quotes were 2x over priced... well tell me xxx. whatd $198 minus $150?

if you ask me i'd rather have the awd.

XBL Gamer Tag : Roar Pants

Last edited by winner; 02-06-2010 at 01:57 PM..
Old 02-06-2010, 01:45 PM
Raycer

both of you, different corners, your both in a time out till you cool down