Go Back   XmodSource.com > Xmods > XMOD Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2010, 03:58 AM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (1)
Default acer's dragster

Lately when I tinker with my my Xmods I try and make them more "hobby grade"
and track friendly. Basically, I try and make them more like my mini Zs.
..........well, it wasn't always like this.
I did this project back on 06 and posted it on another forum which has lately become a "ghost town" But, I want to bring that project back to life here.

here's one of the chassis painted green. Also an unfinished pic of one of the display lids I used to sometimes us with it.

(these pics are old and taken with a cheap camera, I have a better camera now so future pics will be much better)
The chassis is custom made by me from 1/8'' lexan, it was also equipped with a Nelly external "turbo" board (basically upgraded fet "H-bridge" for those who don't know") I also will probably use a tamiya hyperdash armature with carbon brushes and neodium magnets, since I have used this motor in the past and it produced some good power and high speed. Plus it was cheap to make and I already have the parts, accept a ball bearing case.
The car no longer exists but I still have most of the parts. Since I currently don't have any Xmods that still run the stock pcb and controller, I'll remake this one that will use them.

Now I know it wont technically look like a drag car when I'm done, but since I'll be using the stock pcb rather than a mini-Z one, I'll only be pretty much driving it in a strait line as fast as it will go, thus the title.
I'll also probably change a few things on the way, like using li-po rather than li-ion. Plus I'm customizing the chassis a bit at this moment.
More pics to come soon ........................

Toyota, Moving Forward. Even if you push the breaks.

Last edited by acerpower; 02-19-2010 at 04:09 AM..
Old 02-19-2010, 05:01 AM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25

Sweeeet, '55 Chevy.

I started on one, like the Two-Lane-Blacktop car

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 02-19-2010, 11:42 AM
Elite member

At the time when this was built I didn't have a dyno yet. I'm curious myself how fast it was.
When I'm done this thing should be fast on the ground as well as on the dyno.

I ended up painting the shoebox body like this...............

Unfortunately the body is a little heavy and fragile to run at high speeds,
but they look good on the shelf.
I also used this body for show for a while................

I never did finish it, I'll have to get back on that one.
I'm not sure which body I'll end up running on it yet, but it will be lightweight
and durable. I'll probably use a hollowed out Xmod body of some type.

Last edited by acerpower; 02-19-2010 at 11:52 AM..
Old 03-03-2010, 03:12 AM
Elite member

I made a few cut-outs to the lexan chassis, then I sanded it with 320 grit sandpaper to give it a frosted look. I figured the frosted lexan would refract the light and "glow" a little better when I put some LEDs to it.

The cuts aren't perfect but a while ago I had the "bright idea" of drilling some holes in it to save weight. Well I ended up drilling the holes off center and it looked goofy so I had to do my best to fix it.
I might even just make a new bottom plate to fit 4 AAA cells instead, I'll probably make a similar chassis for my "Zmod" anyways.
I still haven't decided on a body yet, I'm definitely not using any of the "shoe-boxes" since there a bit heavy and fragile. I might just use my barricade and make a police drag car.