Go Back   XmodSource.com > Miscellaneous > Miscellaneous RC's > Misc Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2009, 07:04 PM
retired xmodder

Trader Rating: (4)
Send a message via AIM to mycrors4
Default LiPo questions

I might be getting a lipo rc18t soon and i had some LiPo questions, i read some "Do's anf Don'ts" about them had a question about them
1. What is a good temprature to keep them at?( I know its between 40 degrees fahrenheit and 80 degrees fahrenheit, but is there a specific temprature thats better for them?)
2. since water does not estinguish a LiPo fire, will a fire blanket work?
3. Any precations to take with them?
4. Is a Battery container highly recommended?

Check out my B/S/T Thread

Want remixes of some songs... PM me.. I has DJ programing software

Inventor of the idea of using Bob Saget to name R/C parts

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶

Last edited by mycrors4; 09-22-2009 at 09:00 PM..
Old 09-22-2009, 07:08 PM
XMS Moderator

Trader Rating: (14)

Noy sure on the temp but mine never get that warm and i run a 2s in my race slash.And 3s in my vxl rustler.I always charge in a approved battery container made of kevlar.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:12 PM
XMS Administrator

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to Donziikid

Quote:
1. What is a good temprature to keep them at?( I know its between 40 degrees fahrenheit and 80 degrees fahrenheit, but is there a specific temprature thats better for them?)
My general temperature rule is if it is too hot to touch with your finger for more than a second it is to hot. Typically your mind will just say "Oh, crap, that's too hot, time to stop!" Things do happen, however, so on your first few runs, just keep a close eye on the ESC, motor and battery temperatures. Same goes for when you make changes (new motor, new pinion/spur, etc).
I would recommend getting a temperature gauge, though. They're pretty inexpensive now and a good tool to have.

Quote:
2. since water does not estinguish a LiPo fire, will a fire blanket work?
No clue. Don't catch them on fire and you won't have to find out!

Quote:
3. Any precations to take with them?
Just be careful and use common sense. Also be sure to remember everything you read about LiPos online and from the manufacture.
One of the most common mistakes I see is people leave their LiPos plugged in to their ESCs after use. Regardless of if the ESC has an ON and OFF switch it is always a good idea to remember to unplug them and remove them from the RC after each use. Keeping them plugged in gives them a chance to discharge to an unsafe level and when you try to charge them again.. bad things!
Also, I store all of my LiPos in an old, clean coffee can in an easy to reach spot in my room just in case something does go wrong. Makes for a easy run outside to let them extinguish themselves.

Quote:
4. Is a Battery container highly recommended?
It is recommended but certainly not a requirement. Just like with storing, I charge all of my LiPos outside (until the weather gets too bad, then I charge them in the garage) in a larger metal container. This way if they did get discharged too much they explode in a metal container that will help contain the fire, not on the soft, dry Michigan grass.

Again, just use common sense and you should be fine.

Cheers,
Kyle.

Greyscale Racing Member

The Collection:
Mitsubishi Pajero | AE RC18MT
TLMicroCrawler | Xmod ShowRoom | 'Yota XTruck
"The fun begins when the pavement ends."

Old 09-22-2009, 09:19 PM
retired xmodder

Trader Rating: (4)
Send a message via AIM to mycrors4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donziikid View Post
My general temperature rule is if it is too hot to touch with your finger for more than a second it is to hot. Typically your mind will just say "Oh, crap, that's too hot, time to stop!" Things do happen, however, so on your first few runs, just keep a close eye on the ESC, motor and battery temperatures. Same goes for when you make changes (new motor, new pinion/spur, etc).
I would recommend getting a temperature gauge, though. They're pretty inexpensive now and a good tool to have.

Cheers,
Kyle.
Well its from a completely modified rc18, brushless.. and stuff and the owner had no problems so ill be fine.

thnx guys, ill probably buy one container so i can charger it by my computer so i can keep an eye on it. and one thing ran across my mind, can the explode if just left on a desk, unplugged from everything just sitting there?(normal temperature) i know it sounds weird, but nothing is impossible

Check out my B/S/T Thread

Want remixes of some songs... PM me.. I has DJ programing software

Inventor of the idea of using Bob Saget to name R/C parts

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Old 09-22-2009, 09:22 PM
XMS Administrator

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to Donziikid

It would probably only do that if the LiPo sack was somehow damaged. I haven't heard of a spontaneous LiPo explosion, but as you said, anything is possible. If you ever damage a LiPo, dispose of it properly and immediately. It is far cheaper to replace one LiPo than it is anything the LiPo may destroy on it's path to the grave.

I have had this Twenty 11.1V 2150mAh LiPo on my computer desk for the past year or so without any problems. It fluctuates in temperature just like my room (freezing to ZOMG where's the A/C!?).

Now that I mention it, I should probably peak it.. and put it back in it's container..

Cheers,
Kyle.

Greyscale Racing Member

The Collection:
Mitsubishi Pajero | AE RC18MT
TLMicroCrawler | Xmod ShowRoom | 'Yota XTruck
"The fun begins when the pavement ends."