Go Back   XmodSource.com > Miscellaneous > Miscellaneous RC's > Misc Electric
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Old 12-14-2008, 12:24 PM
Stage 1 member

Trader Rating: (0)

I hate getting caught up in a new hobby.

I just need more out it. Now is when I'm going to drop a lot of money into somthing. I think I'll start saving for the traxxas summit, I just saw a promo video of it in action, and I'm impressed. That things probably gonna be expensive though.....
Old 12-15-2008, 10:30 PM
RC CRAWLING ADDICT!

Trader Rating: (2)
Send a message via MSN to amorton94 Send a message via Skype™ to amorton94

i say bash the crud out of that free rc, and invest money in a good rc. i myself am jumping into hobby grade headfirst ill be getting 2 losi's a traxxas slash and a axial ax10 scorpion rtr and $100 of upgrades to make it better than the artr.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:43 PM
Stage 1 member

sweet. It looks like the summit is going to be $500, way more than I want to spend. I'll probably stick with the axial. I've been busy chopping up the trashed body trying to make it look kinda like a crawler. We shall see how it turns out....Pics tomorrow hopefully.

I have taken the bumpers off in hopes of better approach and departure angles, maybe this will help. I have "dovetailed" the front of it, just cause I felt like it. I may do a little more on the front, and then if I haven't gotten my fix I'll do the rear, but that seems like it would be a nightmare. Anywho keep watch for pics.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:11 PM
Stage 1 member

Well, I'm a day late, but here's what I've been up to. I'm trying to squeeze the capability out of this thing.

Did the driver side first, and didn't turn out too bad. If I ever get anything besides gorilla glue to work with I'll fix it to look from factory, but it works for now.

Did the passenger side next, and got a little too happy with the lighter and warped the fender and hood a bit.

Completely did away with the rear bumper (even the one on the body) to gain some hill climbing ability. I didn't do the front until I wheeled it the first time and kept getting hung up, so I trimmed it up. (shown in above pics)
I was trying to do away with the front bumper as well but the steering servo is right there. I can't really trim the front because of the servo, unless I can figure out another location for it. I'll have to deal with it. I'm probably going to burn up the motor pretty soon anyway, it was hot enough to smell the motor working hard when I put it up to cool after the first run. Action shots:

Old 12-17-2008, 06:13 PM
RC CRAWLING ADDICT!

how are those "action" shots if there is no battery, look in the 4th pic, you can see the battery clip lol
Old 12-17-2008, 07:19 PM

nice pics and keep up the good work. and lol at the battery comment
Old 12-17-2008, 07:27 PM
Stage 1 member

Thanks.

The spider gears finally broke loose of the gorilla glue's hold, so I have taken it apart again and will be JB welding it. We'll see how that works.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:33 PM
dirtlover/moderator

Trader Rating: (14)

that looks like a fun project...hasthat military feel to it, maybe you could find some ol skool army stars decals for it...maybe a roofrack with some wheelin supplies?...anyways stay muddy...

Team X.I.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:42 PM
Stage 1 member

Yeah I guess I could, never thought of that!

I actually thought about getting some small conduit and making an exo for it. Brake line would even work.

Yodaman huh? Nice to know there's someone other than myself who's got a yota on here! I've got an 85 4runner if you haven't seen the pic yet.

EDIT: lol just saw your other post.

Last edited by hmmwv15; 12-17-2008 at 07:45 PM..
Old 12-17-2008, 08:47 PM
is here

Trader Rating: (1)
Send a message via AIM to Stampedekid Send a message via MSN to Stampedekid

Quote:
Originally Posted by amorton94 View Post
i say bash the crud out of that free rc, and invest money in a good rc. i myself am jumping into hobby grade headfirst ill be getting 2 losi's a traxxas slash and a axial ax10 scorpion rtr and $100 of upgrades to make it better than the artr.
You may not wanna get that much to start trust me. Not as easy as they look and they do break(even tho Slash only broke once but that is because I has experience) As for you...(not you amorton94)the AX10 ARTR has no electronics whatsoever and is built more for comp crawlers with experience. The hobby is expensive and may get frustrating at times but is well worth it. The hummer looks great and I don't like Hummers! The Summit is more of a trail crawler and wouldn't hold its own against a Venom Creeper, AX10, or other crawler.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:54 PM
Stage 1 member

Great advice. I know they can break, I've got a few friends that have broken things on rc vehicles before. I haven't heard of the venom creeper, but either the axial or the creeper would be in my price range (I can't justify $500 for an rc when I could do serious mods on my 4runner with that, you know?). I also Like the fact that the creeper has optional remote locking differential, it would be nice to unlock the front when you need to make a tight turn, then re lock for the crawling. I'm going to keep an eye out on craigslist for them too. Before I start saving for one of these I have to pay off my tube doors and sliders that I'm getting for the 4runner though, so it will probably be the middle of next year before I have anything decent.

I bet with my knowledge on crawling in my real vehicle, I could enter the rc scale at above an amature level. I'm burning up the motor in the hummer trying to crawl it. I sure do wish I had a body other than a friggin H2, but at least I'm not afraid to cut into it and bash it up.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:25 PM
Owner of a 1992 Accord.

Trader Rating: (8)
Send a message via AIM to youngxmodder Send a message via MSN to youngxmodder Send a message via Yahoo to youngxmodder

nice hummer i really like the color but i don't feel the dovetailed front fenders but whatever floats your boat. i own an axial ax10 there great but i would get the kit instead of and ARTR. you may be thinking it would take to long to build but i would get the kit so you know your vehicle inside and out. but if you plan on getting one mid next year, axial is releasing the new scx10 in jan. sometime, i hope so but that one is probably a kit to, but comes with a chassis like the tcs x-trail chassis. but hobby grade crawlers aren't cheap and cost alot and when your in the r/c crawler scene you will want to upgrade to stay ahead of the comp. but there is the losi mini rock crawler it might not be the same scale as an axial but is rtr and cheap for a rock crawler. i'm kind of getting off topic, but i like the hummer does it just articulate with just shocks?
Old 12-18-2008, 08:00 AM
Stage 1 member

My buddy just got a Losi mini crawler and it was about the same price as an axial, about $230.

And the Hummer doesn't articulate. It would need softer springs for that.

As far as me wanting to upgrade, I don't plan on doing anything but crawling around the backyard. No competitions or anything, I just need something to do in the down time when I don't have my 4runner driveable. Of course I'll upgrade it to my likings, but thats beside the point.

I was browsing through some crawlers and it looks like I'll have to buy a remote control for them, and a few other things. Is this true for all of them? (assuming rtr is ready to run) I thought the purpose of RTR was that you can take it out of the box, buy a battery for it and you are set. If I've got to buy a $100+ controller for it on top of paying for the car, I might as well spend the 3 or 4 hundred bucks on my 4runner.

Last edited by hmmwv15; 12-18-2008 at 12:55 PM..
Old 12-18-2008, 04:53 PM
Stage 1 member

The JB weld held up perfect the first run. If anyone has one of these rc's laying in their junk pile I could use another front diff. After I locked the rear the thing turns like crap, (no surprise really) and I figure how much crappier can it get if I lock the front? I don't think it could get any worse, so I'm probably going to tear the front apart to get at those spider gears and lock 'em up. This thing climbs like a champ now. If only the full charged power would last longer. Or if I had a crawler motor or something. This thing has come a long way since I've gotten hold of it!
Old 12-19-2008, 07:47 PM
Stage 1 member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv15 View Post
...how much crappier can it get if I lock the front?
A lot crappier. lol but as long as I can get one of the front tires onto something it is unstoppable. I flipped it on it's side and was able to use a bank to flip it's self back over. I may get a video of it if it's worth anything.
Old 12-20-2008, 12:21 AM
RC CRAWLING ADDICT!

videos of rc's playing around are always welcome!
Old 12-20-2008, 01:57 AM
Advance member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv15 View Post
My buddy just got a Losi mini crawler and it was about the same price as an axial, about $230.

I was browsing through some crawlers and it looks like I'll have to buy a remote control for them, and a few other things. Is this true for all of them? (assuming rtr is ready to run) I thought the purpose of RTR was that you can take it out of the box, buy a battery for it and you are set. If I've got to buy a $100+ controller for it on top of paying for the car, I might as well spend the 3 or 4 hundred bucks on my 4runner.
the rtr does not need anything but a battery and charger the kit and artr need radio, esc, motor, servo, battery, and charger.
losi mrc needs nothing it has everything.
Old 12-20-2008, 10:07 AM
Stage 1 member

10-4. Looks like I'll be getting a rtr kit then.
Old 12-20-2008, 03:30 PM
RC CRAWLING ADDICT!

on your hummer, i say chop the back and make into a sut.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:40 PM
Stage 1 member

nah, I think I'm done chopping on it. Now all I have to do is beat the crap out of it so I have an excuse to get a crawler.