Go Back   XmodSource.com > Miscellaneous > Miscellaneous RC's > General 1/10 scale
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2013, 11:08 AM
ROTFLSHMSFOAIDMT

Trader Rating: (24)
Send a message via AIM to TheB1GDude Send a message via MSN to TheB1GDude
Default New Toy

So I've done nitro / Xmods / Mini-Z / ProPulse / Vintage Buggies / Stadium Trucks / Drifters / Crawlers / Scalers / Other stuff I can't think and what I find is after a certain period of time I get bored and need to move onto something new... now don't get me wrong crawlers are fun but they have limited usage around by me and I only get to use them decently a couple of times a year so for this move I wanted to pick something a little more versatile... I had set my sights on an HPI Apache C1 Flux 1:8 scale off road buggy but after looking at the reviews for them they don't get very well rated plus they are really expensive so instead I decided to go for a 1:10 scale Axial Exo Terra Buggy which is considered to be the direct competitor to the Flux.

I got this as a roller so some work is going to be needed to get it back up and running, so lets start with some pictures:

It has two upgrades - the first is the front/rear LED system seen in the picture above, the second is a T-Bone Racing Derlin bumper to help absorb some of the front impact:

It needs:

Servo
ESC
Motor
RX
Battery

So it will be a while before I get it running

Duct Tape is like the force:- it has a light side and a dark side and it binds the universe together.....
Old 06-11-2013, 03:22 PM
ROTFLSHMSFOAIDMT

OK got my servo...

It was a spare out of my AX10 crawler, it's a Hitec HS-645MG:

FEATURES: Three metal gears. Dual ball bearings. Metal 1st Gear. Four adjustable splined horns. For use with .60 size helicopters, glow or electric cars and boats.

SPECS: Speed: 0.24 sec/60° at 4.8V 0.20 sec/60° at 6.0V Torque: 106.93 oz-in at 4.8V (7.7 kg-cm) 133.31 oz-in at 6.0V (9.6 kg-cm) Length: 1.59" (40.6mm) Width: 0.77" (19.8mm) Height: 1.48" (37.8mm) Weight: 2.11oz (60g)

Not the best but the metal gear is nice plus it will take up to 6V so I'll probably throw in a 6.0V programmed castle BEC for good measure.

Duct Tape is like the force:- it has a light side and a dark side and it binds the universe together.....
Old 06-11-2013, 04:56 PM
ROTFLSHMSFOAIDMT

Got the above servo and my RX installed:

Also mocked up the front shocks:

They help screw the cage into place so front/rear shocks won't be fully setup until my elecs are installed.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:18 AM
ROTFLSHMSFOAIDMT

Got my ESC / Motor picked out... knew I wanted brushless, knew I didn't want to a high KV rating, knew I wanted 4-pole and finally knew I wanted 2-3S compatibility... at least for the moment anyway as I'm new to the lipo / brushless world.

I would have loved something from Castle or a MambaMax or something but just don't have the budget for it right now. I looked some of the cheaper systems, Leopard / Turnigy / Tacon and I had pieced together an ESC and Motor when I can across a used Team Associated XP SC1200-BL ESC / Reedy 550-SL 3500kV Motor.

Detailed Part Description:

XP Brushless ESCs are water-resistant for maximum durability. Their light weight and compact design allows for easy installation in most 1:10 vehicles. Simple calibration and a wide variety of tuning options make these ESCs perfect for both casual enthusiasts and racers. When paired with a Reedy 540-SL or 550-SL brushless motor, you create a potent combination of power and efficiency that brings performance to a new level. More power and less maintenance elevate the fun factor by increasing top speeds and reducing down time.

ESC Features:
• Adjustable LiPo Low-Voltage Cutoff
• LiPo Cell Auto Detect
• Reversible with Reverse Lockout
• Fully Proportional Brakes
• Adjustable Drag Brakes
• Adjustable Throttle Profile
• Hard Case with Aluminum Heat Sink
• Water Resistant
• Heavy Duty Silicone Wires
• Deans® Ultra Plug® Connector
• 3.5mm Motor Connectors
• Pre-Wired for Optional Cooling Fan

Specs:
• Cells: 2-3 LiPo, 6-8 NiMH
• On Resistance: .5Ohms x 2
• Brakes: Proportional
• Motor Limit: 2 LiPo: 6100kV. 3 LiPo: 4000kV.
• Reversible: Yes, with brakes-only option
• Low Voltage Cutoff: Adjustable, with cell auto-detect
• Dimensions: 46 x 42 x 26mm
• Weight with Wires: 100g (3.5oz.)
• Power Wires: 12-gauge silicone
• Connector Type: Battery: Deans(R). Motor: 3.5mm sockets.

The original retail on the kit is obscene... $296.99... they go on eBay for around $160.00 and I got mine for a lot less than that so for the moment I am happy with it. It's also a waterproof setup and the set I got has the optional cooling fan already installed on the ESC.

This should be here tomorrow, installed by the weekend.

I have my lipo charger picked out... just need to pick a battery, the chassis is setup for hardcases so thats what I'm looking at.

Once it's running there are a few niceties I want to pick up - like I said in my previous post I want a better servo -digital - and BEC to power it. Then I also want to get a drift gyro, not that I intend on drifting this sucker but they claim they tighten up the steering on off road vehicles.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:16 AM
XMS Administrator

Trader Rating: (5)

Looks like a blast. Let me know if you need a decent TX/RX setup for it.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:04 PM
ROTFLSHMSFOAIDMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BART View Post
Looks like a blast. Let me know if you need a decent TX/RX setup for it.
I'll let you know if I ever actually get around to running it... you know me an RCs I tend to buy and forget... but for the moment it has my awesomely cheap FlySky GT3-B system to look forward to.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:35 PM
retired xmodder

Trader Rating: (4)
Send a message via AIM to mycrors4

so you're the one who jacked stug's exo from me
i was gonna trade my scx10 for this exo haha

Check out my B/S/T Thread

Want remixes of some songs... PM me.. I has DJ programing software

Inventor of the idea of using Bob Saget to name R/C parts

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Old 06-17-2013, 03:06 PM
ROTFLSHMSFOAIDMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrors4 View Post
so you're the one who jacked stug's exo from me
i was gonna trade my scx10 for this exo haha
Lol sorry dude... did you get one in the end?

Got my motor and ESC, one slight issue... the one I went for is a 4 pole with 5mm shaft whereas the stock pinion is for a 2 pole 3mm motor shaft so had to order a new pinion gear and am currently waiting on that to come. I have a niMh battery that should have enough life left in it to turn the motor so I'm close to having a runner...

Also picked up a Castle BEC w/ link programmer cable - got what I think is a good deal on it so couldn't say no. No real rush to install it but long term I want a better servo so figured may as well get one

Old 06-17-2013, 03:48 PM
ROTFLSHMSFOAIDMT

Photos of the motor setup:

So that's a Reedy XP-1200BL ESC with the optional cooling fan upgrade and a Reedy 550-SL 3500KV brushless setup.

Old 06-18-2013, 02:48 AM
retired xmodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheB1GDude View Post
Lol sorry dude... did you get one in the end?

Got my motor and ESC, one slight issue... the one I went for is a 4 pole with 5mm shaft whereas the stock pinion is for a 2 pole 3mm motor shaft so had to order a new pinion gear and am currently waiting on that to come. I have a niMh battery that should have enough life left in it to turn the motor so I'm close to having a runner...

Also picked up a Castle BEC w/ link programmer cable - got what I think is a good deal on it so couldn't say no. No real rush to install it but long term I want a better servo so figured may as well get one
nah, kept the scx10, got rid of my traxxas rally/lcg slash 4x4, got an rc8.2e roller, rc18mt rtr and a kysoho zx5 parts car... and now im trying to get rid of all of those LOL

run that BEC at 6v on everything. you'll LOVE it.

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Old 06-19-2013, 01:12 PM
ROTFLSHMSFOAIDMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrors4 View Post
nah, kept the scx10, got rid of my traxxas rally/lcg slash 4x4, got an rc8.2e roller, rc18mt rtr and a kysoho zx5 parts car... and now im trying to get rid of all of those LOL

run that BEC at 6v on everything. you'll LOVE it.
Lol keeping yourself busy then...

Yeah I'm looking forward to getting the BEC installed, I'll probably look for a Savox servo at some point in the future so for that it will definitely be needed.

I ordered a couple more T-Bone Racing pieces for the rear of the Exo:

Just for some extra protection and airflow as I see a lot of people complaining about blowing out the rear end from jumps and the Exo building up internal heat.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:58 PM
ROTFLSHMSFOAIDMT

Added a little mesh to the front windshield area:

Not the best job I know but the cage makes it a PITA to fit in place with anything other than cable ties... I may do the sides just depends how adventurous I feel, this is purely just stop anything coming through the front and hitting my electronics... so not pretty but functional

Old 06-21-2013, 03:53 PM
ROTFLSHMSFOAIDMT

Got another part:

Not a whole lot of use to me at the moment as my pinion that I ordered from a seller 250miles away from house seems to have vanished into thin air...

Once I get the pinion I'll do some final checks on a nimh battery pack then I'll wire this in and order the lipos.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:23 PM
XMS Administrator

I think the mesh looks good. If it was perfectly mounted I don't think it would look very realistic.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:41 PM
ROTFLSHMSFOAIDMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BART View Post
I think the mesh looks good. If it was perfectly mounted I don't think it would look very realistic.
Thanks dude I do kinda like how it looks

So she is getting close to running... The pinion gear is here and installed although I will be replacing most of the spur and pinion setup in the not to distant future as the stock stuff sucks.

Also kinda ordered another part ;( I shouldn't have because now something has to go on the chopping block to pay for it but oh well... It was such a good deal I couldn't pass it up:

I got the 4 brand new in packaging shocks for less than on eBay and less than from the source so can't complain.

Next week I have to focus on a battery and charger, on and the installation of my two t-bone racing parts. If I get a chance ill wire the bec in to the picture as well.

Old 06-23-2013, 07:47 PM
retired xmodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheB1GDude View Post
Lol keeping yourself busy then...

Yeah I'm looking forward to getting the BEC installed, I'll probably look for a Savox servo at some point in the future so for that it will definitely be needed.

I ordered a couple more T-Bone Racing pieces for the rear of the Exo:

Just for some extra protection and airflow as I see a lot of people complaining about blowing out the rear end from jumps and the Exo building up internal heat.
oh yea.. so many rc's, so little money

i like the mesh as well
imperfection is perfection

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Old 06-25-2013, 09:22 AM
ROTFLSHMSFOAIDMT

Got my T-Bone Racing parts in the mail yesterday / installed today:

Rear body protection:

Rear Chassis Protection:

Happy with how they turned out, got the ones that match the already installed front bumper for consistent look.

Old 06-28-2013, 10:58 AM
ROTFLSHMSFOAIDMT

So after a soldering iron (my solder iron is broken / gets to hot, the tip broke off into a stump and I don't have a spare) mishap I am passing of the wiring of the ESC / BEC / Bullet Connectors off to someone far more talented than me. It will take a few days longer but oh well may as well have it done right rather than have me damage a 150$ ESC.

Got my GMade shocks though...

Which based on the instructions:

Could take me a couple of weeks to put together ;(

Anyone know which setup is best for a short course buggy? I'm assuming its the high pressure configuration but figured I would ask....

Old 06-28-2013, 04:29 PM
ROTFLSHMSFOAIDMT

OK front shocks built and installed:

Comparison shot:

My 103MM GMade Aeration shocks are obviously longer but they are so much prettier

Then both fronts installed:

I used the oil that came with the shocks, no idea of the weight but in my supplies I only had 25w and I didn't think that would work so some testing will be required.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:08 PM
XMS Administrator

Tricky balance between damping holes and shock oil weight. At least I assume your dealing with damping holes on the top of the shock shaft. Basically talking about whatever orifice those shocks use to pass the oil through. I usually lost patience tuning shocks about half way through building them so they would end up with whatever.