Go Back   XmodSource.com > Xmods > XMOD Electronics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2007, 12:52 PM
Life is like a game

Trader Rating: (0)

no matter wat any1 tells me about fets i still won't comprehend it i know its for the current flow but i don't understand the point of stackin them and flat4 racin has a point can some1 show a pic of all this

Quote:
Originally Posted by garder121 View Post
not so secret anymore but this is so sexy i'm gonna mix spanish and english together muy=very + sexy=sexy = smexy *very sexy* but i love the version more than the stock it just looks so nice idk how to explain myself.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:30 AM
All 6's and 7's

Trader Rating: (8)
Send a message via MSN to bondo

Quote:
Originally Posted by garder121 View Post
no matter wat any1 tells me about fets i still won't comprehend it i know its for the current flow but i don't understand the point of stackin them and flat4 racin has a point can some1 show a pic of all this
all of the info you need is at your fingertips.
if your not willing to look and learn then there isnt much point is there?

your here so you obviously have the internet and access to every bit of info that every modder that came before you has/had.

personally i though Bart explained it rather well.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:07 AM
XMS Administrator

Trader Rating: (5)

Thanks Bondo...I tried but I guess you cant reach everyone.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:12 PM
Elite member

Default fet

Do you or anyone have or know the fet's electrical schmatic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX9RBART View Post
There seem to be so many questions about fets that i thought i would explain what they are and what they do. I'll try to make it make sense...let me know if it needs more.

Not copied or pasted, these are my words. Fets, or field effect transistors control the power that is put out to your motor. You can search for pics but they are easy to pick out...they are small black squares with 3 shiny terminal coming off of them soldered to the board, there are 2 of them. They are gated and pretty much controlled by a square wave (-_-_-_-_-_-) when turned on they allow current to flow and when turned off they stop said current. The frequency or amount of time they are on compared to off determines how much current is fed to the motor. The power that goes to the motor is therefore actually pulsed but at such a great speed that it becomes seamless. A stock fet can only handle so much current so stacking doubles the available current (does not however double speed). The same goes for larger or upgraded fets. This is a pretty general and low tech explanation but I feel it should answer most questions about fets and stop the endless questions about them.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:56 PM
XMS Administrator

I'm sure donzi can dig something up to copy and paste for you, If not just pm her and ask her to post it here for all to see.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:49 AM
Stage 1 member

If you don't get his explanation, think of it like this:

Think of the electricity water. FETs are like the dam that regulates the flow of the water. Stacking FETs opens up more gates, and allows the water to flow more freely. Some motors work so hard that they need the flow to be strong to make it work.

If you have a really high metabolism but you can't eat very quickly, you're going to die pretty much. A high amp draw motor will demand a lot of amps, but the FETs won't allow that much because it only allows a certain amount of amps.

Yeah I am really tired, so that probably doesn't make sense
Old 01-24-2008, 12:57 AM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25

Thats actually how most my electronics was taught to me, think of it as water

That's how I've tried explaining it too.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 07-06-2008, 05:45 PM
RC CRAWLING ADDICT!

Trader Rating: (2)
Send a message via MSN to amorton94 Send a message via Skype™ to amorton94

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX9RBART View Post
true...that is the whole purpose of stacking them...to allow more current flow (torque)
how do you stack them?
Old 07-09-2008, 02:25 PM
Stage 1 member

if you're asking how to stack them, you might have some trouble replacing/putting FETs in anyways.

Atomic mods has a tutorial here:

http://www.atomicmods.com/Categories...tallation.aspx
Old 12-06-2008, 11:04 AM
Stage 1 member

Sorry, couldn't help notice the "Dueling Banjos" of Sweed and ZX9RBART.

I admire Librarian for wanting to know more about electronics...even though (he admits) it may not expand his ability to improve his XMOD. Never stop asking questions, man!

What ZX9RBART was trying to explain is the difference between amperage and voltage:

Imagine standing on a cliff with a boulder. Voltage is like a way of measuring how high the cliff is. The higher the cliff, the more energy a falling boulder will have. The height of the cliff is the voltage.

Amperage is a related concept. Amperage is the amount of force that the boulder strikes the ground with. Amperage is affected by voltage (how high up you drop the boulder) but is also affected by other factors:

1. the weight of the boulder. Obviously dropping a 1lb. rock won't hit the ground as hard as a 50lb. boulder. This is because force=mass times acceleration. Increasing the mass, increases the force.

2. Wind resistance. Obviously, if you attached a parachute to the boulder, it wouldh't strike the ground with as much force as if it were in true free-fall. This is related to Resistance. In electronic-ese, the better your wires (conductors) the less resistance--i.e., more current reaches the motor with copper wires than with, say aluminum wires. An FET works on this principle--it is a programmable road block to current--from the batteries to the motor. Like ZX9RBART (come on, get an easier to remember screen name! eheheh) said, the FET mod is like getting a bigger spiggot to allow more current to flow.

So for Sweed, it's true, a FET doesn't change how high the cliff is, it reduces wind resistance as the boulder falls (i.e., the boulder is more "aerodynamic").

The reason there is an FET at all on the cars is because it regulates the amount of current per unit time that reaches the motor. Anyone who has overheated a motor understands the usefulness of an FET. The trick is to maximize the amount of current reaching the motor without overheating it.

The manufacturers have "FETed" the cars with a large margin of error so that the motors don't overheat. What the modders have done is basically say, "Yeah, yeah...I know, I don't want to overheat the motor but I think I can put a little more juice through the motor and still not burn it up."

I'm sure I made an error or two in my explanations. Anyone who wants to polish my analogies is welcome to do it. If I left anything out, please feel free.

Hang loose,

--Doc
Old 01-18-2009, 12:54 PM
Working Class Hero

Trader Rating: (32)
Send a message via MSN to TripleXmodder(akaXXX)

Good information. Try WIKIPEDIA when your not sure what somthing is. Here is WIK for FETS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_effect_transistors

XXX FREE modding Service: http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17800
PM me for a quote or any questions. HAPPY MODDING

100% Positive Itrader feedback http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/itrader.php?u=6901
Old 01-18-2009, 01:28 PM
XMS Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Donziikid

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleXmodder(akaXXX) View Post
Good information. Try WIKIPEDIA when your not sure what somthing is. Here is WIK for FETS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_effect_transistors
Yes, use Wiki, because everyone is going to understand what the following means:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiki
The field-effect transistor (FET) is a type of transistor that relies on an electric field to control the shape and hence the conductivity of a 'channel' of one type of charge carrier in a semiconductor material.
And the above does what for an Xmod...?

This thread was meant to put it into simple terms for people to understand what an FET has to do with Xmodding, not what its actual meaning is.

Greyscale Racing Member

The Collection:
Mitsubishi Pajero | AE RC18MT
TLMicroCrawler | Xmod ShowRoom | 'Yota XTruck
"The fun begins when the pavement ends."

Old 01-18-2009, 01:50 PM
Working Class Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donziikid View Post
Yes, use Wiki, because everyone is going to understand what the following means:

And the above does what for an Xmod...?

This thread was meant to put it into simple terms for people to understand what an FET has to do with Xmodding, not what its actual meaning is.

Sorry, Take the simple expllanation and read up up the technical stuff. That's how we use are brains and learn stuff. I didn't mean anything by that, just throwing in some references.

XXX FREE modding Service: http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17800

100% Positive Itrader feedback http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/itrader.php?u=6901
Old 01-18-2009, 05:35 PM
Stage 1 member

I understand what XXX was talking about.

We must learn to stand and walk before we can run (with any degree of success).

I think XXX was just saying that now the basics have been laid down in this thread, the Wiki reference is a good place to EXPAND ones knowledge. And if there are any difficult terms in Wiki's entry...that's what google is for...to help find word definitions.

I wonder if any of the flames targeted at XXX come from the mentality that it is always better to take a class on something/go to college to learn something than to try and self-educate.

I am reminded of the bar scene in "Good Will Hunting" where Matt Damon disses a pseudo-intellectual History Major--made me want to stand up and cheer.

The study of any subject begins by learning the subject's language...its jargon. If understanding of concepts can't be achieved on one's own, that is what these forums are for.

p.s. If you click on XXX's link and scroll down to the FET operation segment, it explains in more detail ZX9RBART's description of "wave shape"...to give an idea of how the current is modified by the transistor.

Last edited by Doc Moddin'; 01-18-2009 at 05:51 PM..
Old 01-18-2009, 07:00 PM
XMS Administrator

Wow, just realized it's been 2 years since I wrote that. I dont really care whats posted as long as someone gets something out of it. I wrote that as simple as I could as I usually go wildly too deep when explaining things and just confuse people (electronics are a passion of mine as well as a career). This thread has seemed to gain some popularity lately and I will probably clean it up here soon so that the info and answers are easier to locate without wading through pages of posts.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:20 PM
Working Class Hero

Yeah I didn't mean anything by that, I was just posting more info. I even started the post with "good information" (directed to ZX9RBART for the thread)

Old 01-23-2009, 11:54 AM
Stage 1 member

This thread got me thinking some more. Here are some abbreviations and simple formulas to demonstrate the relationship between the different values.

I = Current. Measured in Ampheres or, "Amps"

V = Voltage. Measured in Volts.

R = Resistance. Measured in Ohms.

P = Power. Measured in Watts

V = I x R

P = (I)2 x R

Sorry, that "2" is supposed to be an exponent. I - squared. My old computer used to allow me to make superscripts for exponents.

To simplify, P = I x V

Here's a cool link for a voltage-drop calculator:

http://http://www.electronicsteacher.com/electronics-calculator/voltage-drop-calculator.php

Hope that wasn't confusing. I also hope it explains how an FET modifies current, without changing voltage.

--Doc