Go Back   XmodSource.com > Miscellaneous > Miscellaneous RC's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2010, 10:37 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (1)
Default my new cheap 2.4ghz radio for my pede(and brushless micro-DT)

I picked up this radio from hobby partz
I know you can get it at hobby king for cheaper but, this one arrived at my door in less than a week plus shipping was only $4.99.

It's basically a re-branded venom TX/RX and it includes the adapter to control the VRC (virtuall RC racing game)

The RX is quite small but I neglected to take a pic before installing it in my waterproof RX box of my stampede.
I have a few more RX's on order and I'll take a pic when they arrive.

This TX doesn't have all the "bells and whistles" of the more expensive TX's but you can't beat it for the price, plus extra RX's are dirt cheap.
The range of this radio is so much farther than the 75mhz FM unit I was using before so I can live without the multiple model memory and the E.P.A.
I didn't even have enough space to test the range of it in my stampede but it was far enough that I couldn't tell which way the truck was facing, and I could barely see it.
I'll be getting additional RX's for my micro-T(it's actually smaller than the losi AM unit) , and my RC18.
This is definitely worth the $30 I paid for it but I might even try this multi memory TX since it uses the same RX's and I'll use this radio for my son's cars since he's not too good with the long antennas.

I downloaded the free VRC game. I haven't used it too much yet but it seems OK so far.

The best part of this is not having to replace broken or bent antenna tubes, antenna tubes are ugly anyways.

Toyota, Moving Forward. Even if you push the breaks.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:04 PM
ROTFLSHMSFOAIDMT

Trader Rating: (24)
Send a message via AIM to TheB1GDude Send a message via MSN to TheB1GDude

I saw this online (without thetoyz.com logo on it) and almost got one it was coming out of China though so shipping was 3 weeks.

Let me know what you think of it after a few days and I might order one

Duct Tape is like the force:- it has a light side and a dark side and it binds the universe together.....
Old 06-14-2010, 11:05 PM
Light Modder

Trader Rating: (5)

I was thinking of getting one of those too. How well does it run, and imo I would paint over that ugly orange with a flat black.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:23 PM
Elite member

I peeled off the original stickers and put thetoyz stickers on it among others.
Plus I painted the "brake rotor" behind the steering wheel silver.

I got it last Friday and I have no complaints so far.
The manual was a little goofy since it was translated from Chinese but this thing is simple enough to use that you don't really need the manual.

I'll post more thoughts on it when I receive my spare RX's for my other cars.
I definitely like it more than my futaba 2PL FM. I get way more range with the cheap radio plus I never cared for the super long antenna's on my FM and AM radio's. I've broken quite a few of them over the years.

I'm exited about trying this with my brushless micro-DT.
The losi AM RX works but it leaves allot to be desired, and it reminds me a little of a stock Xmod board as far as control and range goes.
The antenna on the 2.4 RX is so much shorter as well, which is a big plus for me.

EDIT: they also have a black and gray version of it here:http://www.hobbypartz.com/fs-gt2-24ghz-radio-black.html unfortunately it wasn't available yet when I ordered mine.

Last edited by acerpower; 06-14-2010 at 11:26 PM..
Old 06-14-2010, 11:26 PM
ROTFLSHMSFOAIDMT

Trader Rating: (24)
Send a message via AIM to TheB1GDude Send a message via MSN to TheB1GDude

I'm running 75MHz on the TT-01 and wanted to go to 2.4GHz so maybe I'll order one of these... thanks for the opinions on it!

Duct Tape is like the force:- it has a light side and a dark side and it binds the universe together.....
Old 06-14-2010, 11:41 PM
Elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheB1GDude View Post
I'm running 75MHz on the TT-01 and wanted to go to 2.4GHz so maybe I'll order one of these... thanks for the opinions on it!
No problem.
There's a slightly cheaper re-branded version of it here-http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...z_2Ch_Tx_&_Rx_ but shipping is more expensive and super slow since it's coming from Hong Kong. I'd much rather order it from the states and get it quicker. Plus I would imagine it would be easier to return a possible defective product to an American hobby shop if needed.

Venom even sells the same re-branded model for about twice the cost:http://www.rchobbyexplosion.com/Veno..._p/ven8184.htm

Old 06-14-2010, 11:52 PM
Light Modder

Trader Rating: (5)

How many degrees does the wheel turn? (Guess) I hate It when I get a TX and the wheel only turns like 5 degrees
Old 06-15-2010, 12:05 AM
Elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingISdrifting View Post
How many degrees does the wheel turn? (Guess) I hate It when I get a TX and the wheel only turns like 5 degrees
From all the way right to left, it turns about a 1/4 turn.
It's pretty close to my futaba's feel.

It also comes with a rubber "tire" on the wheel, which I switched to foam for a better feel.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:31 AM
Banned

Trader Rating: (14)

I think I'll stick with my KO EX-10 Helios and swap a 2.4 module in. Maybe if I'm in desperate need, I'll consider this.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:57 AM
Stage 2 member

Trader Rating: (0)

This is a great 2.4ghz Radio System! I bought mine from hobbyking and it was a bit pricier than other stores but w/e. I was suprised that the orange doesn't look that cheap in reality. Its actually not that bad. I also like the fact that the receiver is smaller than that of a revo vxl. Only bad thing is the unclear instruction manual.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:53 AM
Elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lol View Post
I think I'll stick with my KO EX-10 Helios and swap a 2.4 module in. Maybe if I'm in desperate need, I'll consider this.
This radio is just a basic function "entry level", and an affordable upgrade into 2.4ghz for those of us still using AM and FM radios.
Now if you already spent an arm and a leg on a pricey radio, it would be silly of coarse to downgrade to this one.
But if you needed an extra radio for a spare car for a friend to use, or something for a child's first RC(you won't have to worry about them poking anyone's eye out with the antenna) you couldn't find a cheaper functional 2.4ghz radio.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:11 AM
retired xmodder

Trader Rating: (4)
Send a message via AIM to mycrors4

this makes a great back up radio, and as acersaid, its great for guests

Check out my B/S/T Thread

Want remixes of some songs... PM me.. I has DJ programing software

Inventor of the idea of using Bob Saget to name R/C parts

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶