Go Back   XmodSource.com > Xmods > XMOD Electronics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 05:42 PM
SPR

Default Lith Question. Quite ****ed...

So i get my rally chassis back from XMDrift today. the FET stack looks great. he said it was in working order, so i didnt bother to test it before hand... probably should have just to be safe.. but anyways so i go to install my liths now... I soldered one end of the plug to the board. and then plugged the liths in, and turned the car on to see if the wheels would center. Nothing.

So doubled checked my solder jobs, they look perfect. Went on atomic mods and pulled up the How too. Looked at the close up, looks exact same nothing different. Then i noticed that the plug had its wires crossed. So basically my red pluged into the black. Meaning that put the negative side of the battery to the positive on the car, and the positive on the battery to the negative on the car, which means i sent power backwards threw the board.

So i did a simple fix and switched the wires around. So now the positivie battery goes to the positive board and so forth. But when i turn it on i still get nothing.

Did that shot of backwards power thanks to this ****ed up connector fry my car or what im stumped.

Suggestions?
Old 12-01-2008, 05:47 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (4)

if you powered up with the polarity reversed then the board is fried sorry man

XMS and XMF february COTM winner
Old 12-01-2008, 05:49 PM
SPR

Go figure. Just my luck.

So that mean my brand new stack of 4x2 FET's are fried too?
Old 12-01-2008, 05:51 PM
Elite member

chances are yea unless you ewere lucky and it blew a resistor first ?
wouldnt it be easyer and better to get a spider or nelly ?

Old 12-01-2008, 05:52 PM
SPR

CAPITAL EFF WORD ME!!! god **** it. GRRR.

There goes 40 bucks out the god **** window. Now to source a new board. ****.

and these were free... sorta. i paid for a 2x2 stack because thats all i needed. and then got a 4x2 installed for free.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:53 PM
ROTFLSHMSFOAIDMT

Trader Rating: (24)
Send a message via AIM to TheB1GDude Send a message via MSN to TheB1GDude

Where those the liths I sold you? If they where I can't believe the wires where crossed!! I got them from a solid source!!!

It might not have fried all of the 4x2 stack but it will no doubt have done some damage.

Check the liths have got a charge in them by sticking them on a motor, if it spins then they do, if you feel up to it then break down the stacks and look at each FET to see if there is damage.

If they where my liths then PM once you know what the repairs costs where and I'll help out.

Duct Tape is like the force:- it has a light side and a dark side and it binds the universe together.....
Old 12-01-2008, 05:56 PM
SPR

yeah they were your liths... Ill test em on a motor.

When i realised the red wire plugged into the black i tore off all the electrical tape and checked hte battery job, everything was perfect there. it was a simple fact that the plug that goes to the car someone just switched the prongs around. So since you can only plug it in one way, i didnt look at the wire colors or pay attention, i just plugged it in. Wasnt till afterwards i realised those were backwards.

What the difference between a fried FET and a non fried? i wouldnt know the first thing to look for....
Old 12-01-2008, 05:58 PM
ROTFLSHMSFOAIDMT

A fried FET will typically have bubbling or blemishes on the top of it or at the worst case it will look melted....

I'm really sorry about that dude!! I try to keep my liths and leads paired up so this doesn't happen!!

As I said let me know what it will cost you and I'll help you out!!

Duct Tape is like the force:- it has a light side and a dark side and it binds the universe together.....
Old 12-01-2008, 06:17 PM
SPR

lith had a charge, motor just tried to take a nice chunk out of my finger. bastard lol. only managed to take some skin though.

I just took the fets off, they all appear normal except for this one... it has some red on the bottom of it. but it sorta looks like goo or paint or something. i dont know if its something caused by being fried. Heres some pictures.

Old 12-01-2008, 06:17 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25

Doubt you burnt the FETs. More than likely just burn off some of the various resistors. I want to say AM has an article about what goes wrong when the power source (liths) are screwd.

I think I have an extra EVO board, but I dunno if it's good or not. Been in a box for a year or so.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 12-01-2008, 06:19 PM
Elite member

if they blow it tends to be a bubble on the top

also please unplug that lith before the wires touch and you bad day gets worse

Old 12-01-2008, 06:19 PM
ROTFLSHMSFOAIDMT

That FET looks good.... might just be some heat resistant paste, similar to what you put between a processor and heat sink but you'd have to ask whoever did the work for you....

Old 12-01-2008, 06:21 PM
Stage 1 member

Trader Rating: (0)

i also have a extra evo truck board dont know if its a diffrence in board or anything ill be willing to send it to you to help out but yeah i dont know if it works either.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:25 PM
SPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan_idiot25 View Post
Doubt you burnt the FETs. More than likely just burn off some of the various resistors. I want to say AM has an article about what goes wrong when the power source (liths) are screwd.

I think I have an extra EVO board, but I dunno if it's good or not. Been in a box for a year or so.
Thanks for the offer, but ill just grab an entire new chassis. I have one coming in my inventory for my store that i can probably snitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper View Post
if they blow it tends to be a bubble on the top

also please unplug that lith before the wires touch and you bad day gets worse
Well no bubbles, they all look brand new still except that red stuff on that one. Which even if its bad i dont care, a 3x2 stack is still plenty for what i need.

and dont worry i only half way plugged them in just for that picture so B1G could see how the wires were reversed after i remove the heat shrink that hid that flaw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheB1GDude View Post
That FET looks good.... might just be some heat resistant paste, similar to what you put between a processor and heat sink but you'd have to ask whoever did the work for you....

Alrighty, well ill tell ya what. Im going to snitch a chassis out of my xmod store when my large order comes in to replace this one. chassis only to me out of that order is worth about 15 bucks. Im sure with as nice as XMDrift is he will be kind enough to restack this FET's on my new car again for free + shipping of course. So ill pay the 10 bucks shipping both ways again for my chassis, and if you feel like covering any or all of that 15 for my new chassis i would greatly appreciate it, but either way its not that big of a deal to me, ill live, i appreciate everything you've done for me and how much you have helped. so im not to worried about getting any money, Dont feel guilty, was a honest mistake, Like i said with that heat shrink that was on there you couldnt tell at all what color hte wires were. I had to cut it off to check the wires (thinking it would just be a bad connection) when i realised they were reversed.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:17 PM
XMS Administrator

Take a good look at your power switch as that seems to be a pretty weak spot, maybe you got lucky and can get away with the power switch bypass option.

(edit I assume that you have a power switch as you said you switched the car on)

Last edited by BART; 12-01-2008 at 07:34 PM..
Old 12-01-2008, 07:22 PM
SPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX9RBART View Post
Take a good look at your power switch as that seems to be a pretty weak spot, maybe you got lucky and can get away with the power switch bypass option.
Thanks for the tip, i looked the board once over, and there is some spots on it that i dont think should be there, like it burnt. Pretty sure its toast.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:13 PM
Rethink It All

Trader Rating: (8)
Send a message via AIM to RedSXmodder Send a message via MSN to RedSXmodder

****it boy, I wanna see this project finished! Stop goofing up! Its costing you to much moneys, lol...

Later,
RedSXmodder

Team Redmade Motors- Building Motors that rise above the rest!

Rethink It All
Old 12-01-2008, 09:33 PM
drifter and engineer

Send a message via AIM to XMDrifter

yeah that red stuff is just a dab of red paint so i know which stack goes where.
i'll restack for you if you really want.
but really. who's gonna give 2 free stacking jobs?
i think 8 bucks in money order form shipped within the packaging should suffice for the service if you really want me to do that again.

and ge deans polarized plugs so you don't plug them in backwards again, or some dumb friend doesn't mix it up again.

Last edited by XMDrifter; 12-01-2008 at 09:37 PM..
Old 12-01-2008, 09:48 PM
SPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSXmodder View Post
****it boy, I wanna see this project finished! Stop goofing up! Its costing you to much moneys, lol...

Later,
RedSXmodder
hey now wasnt my fault this time!! lol i blame it on the heat shrink!! if it wasnt there to begin with, i might have noticed the wires were crossed.

its to bad i wasnt an idiot and didnt solder the red wire to the negative and the black to the positive, i never woulda known the difference and it woulda worked bwaha.

but B1G's a great guy, we are working on a deal. Should have it fixed in a matter of no time.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:53 PM
Xmod Expert

Trader Rating: (8)

The wires were not crossed on the pack, I made that pack and I made sure I get my customers the best I can do (I can do better now). Sorry to see this happen, even half plugging them in is enough to go boom
Closed Thread