Go Back   XmodSource.com > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Old 09-11-2008, 11:09 AM
Advance member

Trader Rating: (0)
Send a message via AIM to imstock

I wont get into this thread to heavily, mostly because the amount of research I have done about the topic would be argued by the young ones.

I will simply mention that the machine, while tested on the 10th, has not begun it's official projects. It will begin it's first project in late October upon it's official inauguration.

After that it will be performing constant tests for several years, with the data being compiled on site through a 10g/s data system.

Eventually they wish to not only answer questions about the creation the the universe, but also create exotic matter, find the reason for dark matter, and attempt to prove several theories about physics and why some laws are more powerful then gravity.

If your interested, the Wiki article is rather informative, and you can see the CERN compound if you direct Google maps to "46.234116,6.046708". What you will see is simply the surface obviously, the LHC is actually underground.

16.8 in the quarter mile isn't fast.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:33 PM
Forum Idiot

Trader Rating: (3)
Send a message via AIM to Sweed Send a message via Yahoo to Sweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65mustangrock View Post
nope! id be gone "up there"
And then you would be sucked up too.
I don't want to get into religion so we'll just leave it here. If you want to get into it, take it to PM's, I'll be happy to.
"Save us, oh lord, from the wrath of the Norsemen"
Old 09-11-2008, 02:02 PM
Advance member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65mustangrock View Post
but on topic i think black holes are *** and stupid. and it dont make sense cause if the world was sucked up into a black hole nothing would be left to burn and i would be up there.
Lol. Good one.

If you are trying to approach this topic, with a religious connotation, why not try to make more argumentative responses? Things like "black holes are ***" just make you look stupid, and using these statements to defend your religious beliefs just makes it look stupid, or it look like it appeals to stupid people. If you do not believe in it, or that this will be the proposed "end of times" why even contribute said posts to the conversation? If your religion is correct then you have nothing to worry about; let the rest of us "godless heathens" fight amongst ourselves, because, at the end of the day you are "going up there".
Old 09-11-2008, 03:06 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25

Hey look, we're all alive

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 09-11-2008, 03:40 PM
Elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan_idiot25 View Post
Lmao, you beat me to it.

Anyway, I just read an article about this dated October 2004. Old news.
They had originally planned for it to be "smashing particles in early 2007."
They've been building this for years.
Yesterday was only a "test run."
"Official" testing starts sometime in October 2008.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:16 PM

I'm not sure, but from what I've read they didn't collide any particles yet.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:47 PM
That's what she said.

Trader Rating: (1)

Quote:
Nowe'renot *cough**cough*

They did smash particles BTW.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:09 PM
Forum Idiot

Trader Rating: (3)
Send a message via AIM to Sweed Send a message via Yahoo to Sweed

Quote:
My god(s) are better than your god(s)...
Drift, I love the avatar, I'm working on a helmet for the silver one.
"Save us, oh lord, from the wrath of the Norsemen"
Old 09-11-2008, 09:56 PM
Xmod Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinesekid05 View Post
Nowe'renot *cough**cough*

They did smash particles BTW.
No they didnt... this is what they want to do, All they have done for now is pumped protons full of 10 trillion volts...

Imstock seems to know his stuff... Dark matter is an interesting topic, if they could create some and prove it to exist it could serve as a near permanent fuel source...

Not listening to music but for the hell of it heres a song anyways:

Speed up
Funkerman

Last edited by meme405; 09-11-2008 at 09:58 PM..
Old 09-11-2008, 10:55 PM
Gen 1 junkie !

Trader Rating: (6)
Send a message via AIM to dontspamme Send a message via MSN to dontspamme

Coming from somewhere completely different, but it's kinda related to the topic. My English teacher [boring as hell] talked about this Proton European crazy smashing particle dude in class for a little while. Then she said something about the calender ends in 2012? Or the world ends in 2012? Anyone care to eleaborate on this?

Btw, Imstock, mind PM'ing the information stuff you have? I feel like reading on this stuff.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:44 AM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (11)

first off all if these (smashing atoms together) would have caused a black hole, the goverment or other people, owuld not these stupid scientist destroy our precious "mundo".
Old 09-12-2008, 01:11 AM
Xmod Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontspamme View Post
Coming from somewhere completely different, but it's kinda related to the topic. My English teacher [boring as hell] talked about this Proton European crazy smashing particle dude in class for a little while. Then she said something about the calender ends in 2012? Or the world ends in 2012? Anyone care to eleaborate on this?

Btw, Imstock, mind PM'ing the information stuff you have? I feel like reading on this stuff.
Its called the mayan calendar. It basically begins a new cycle in 2012, And a lot of people believe its going to be like an apocalypse or something.

Basically though its just like starting a new year except on a much less frequent scale. The only reason this really came about and a lot of people started writing it on their blogs is because a lot of people believe that the mayans (if you know anything about them) were technologically more advanced than we are today and understood more about the universe than we do.

Honestly though i think its just another day on your calendar. No more special than Haloween...
Old 09-12-2008, 01:18 AM
That's what she said.

Trader Rating: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
Its called the mayan calendar. It basically begins a new cycle in 2012, And a lot of people believe its going to be like an apocalypse or something.

Basically though its just like starting a new year except on a much less frequent scale. The only reason this really came about and a lot of people started writing it on their blogs is because a lot of people believe that the mayans (if you know anything about them) were technologically more advanced than we are today and understood more about the universe than we do.

Honestly though i think its just another day on your calendar. No more special than Haloween...

My math teacher says it's because they got lazy and stopped. Or it was because they were attacked by the Europeans and didn't finish...

Anyways, the whole point is that it's just another day (like meme said) and you shouldn't worry. It's just like 6-6-06. What happened? Nothing. Just Hell, Michigan sold mugs for $6.66.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:33 AM
I <3 you!

Send a message via AIM to DrIfToRDIe Send a message via Yahoo to DrIfToRDIe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
My god(s) are better than your god(s)...
Drift, I love the avatar, I'm working on a helmet for the silver one.
Thanks,yeah Daft Punk is awesome!

Anyways,so it's only a test run?But so there is still a chance of an "apocalypse", correct?
Old 09-12-2008, 01:38 AM

Trader Rating: (7)
Send a message via MSN to THE EDJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
Hummer H4 you as usual have no idea what your talking about. And how was i assuming anything, you acted like a 10 year old so i called you out on it.

65Mustangrock they are going to smash two atoms together (eventually that was not the test done today). i doubt its going to cause a black hole also however.

Most of you fail to realize, that this experiment had been done before but on a smaller scale (and no this experiment is not how they create elements BTW to whoever said that).

This experiment was protons at 10trillion, They goal is to get protons up to 14trillion. Thats when they can start smashing atoms.

Or something to that effect, it basically has to do with the voltages their machine is capable of and its boundaries. If it doesnt reach where they need it to then they need to re-think it. However today with the experiment they just did they think that they may be capable of achieving the goal with minor modifications and repairs to the machine.

Edit: Jimmy angels and demons was good better than davinci code i dare to say...have you read digital fortress?
The experiment is basically this. They take hydrogen molecules and strip them of their electrons and nucleus, leaving only the protons behind (which are theorized to be made of several other tiny little micro-micro-molecules). These protons are then to be accelerated to 99.99999% the speed of light in a vacuum, cooled to just above the tempurature of O degrees K. At this speed each proton gains a mass 25 times greater and carries a kinetic energy of 7 TeV (terra volts). The Large Hadron Collider (or LHC), consists of several circular rings, varying in diameter (as the protons are accelerated, kind of like different gears), with the largest ring being 27 kilometers in diameter. These protons are moving so fast that they go around the circumference of the ring (83.9 km) 60 000 times per second.

A hadron is a smaller part of a larger molecule (the proton becomes a hadron when separated from the rest of the hydrogen atom). The purpose of this 9.5 billion dollar machine is to collide these tiny minute particles together to see what happens. These collisions would produce an energy of 14 TeV, and smash the protons into micro-micro-molecules. These collisions occur at a rate of 8 billion times per second and are captured by a detector (which basically equates to a giant camera) at a rate of 6 billion times per second. Why would you want to do this? Well, the experiment is intended to recreate the physical actually that was present less than a trillionth of a second after the universe began (the "Big Bang"). Scientists and physicists are searching for a theoretical, unknown particle (called the Higgs particle, or nick named the God particle).

This particle is the basis for particle physics as we know it. This theory is called the Standard Model and only works if this mysterious Higgs particle exists. Basically the Higgs Bosom (a field of Higgs particles) interacts with the particles around it to create matter, it slows down particles and makes them interact with each other, thus giving them mass. Physicists don't actually understand why matter has mass, or even why it forms particles, atoms, or elements. They are hoping to discover something, even if it isn't the Higgs particle, to give them a greater insight into how our universe came to be, and why it is the way it is today. Maybe they will have to completely rearrange their theories, maybe they will discover how the universe began. Or maybe it will create tiny little black holes. No one knows, but I'm interested to see what they find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontspamme View Post

The Mayan calendar ends on Dec. 21, 2012. The Mayans were obsessed with time, and their calendar was so precise that it could predict lunar and solar eclipses thousands of years in advance. Some also theorize that their calendar has predicted other great historical moments, most of them disastrous or catastrophic in nature. Their calendar ends on December 21, 2012, which has prompted some to believe that this will be the end of the world as we know it. This date has also been "prophesied" to be the end of the world by "oracles" in Greek and European histories, along with a web based computer program that draws up codes from the King James Version Bible. Only time will tell.

I also have religious beliefs, I am a strong Christian, but I know this isn't the place to talk about that kind of stuff, but if I may say one thing. The end of the world, as written in the prophecy of Revelation in the Bible, depicts the end of the world as a terrible, atrocious period of time. Our world is in a current state of unrest and has seen so many atrocities over the past decade, and even century. The Mayan calendar predicts that our world will end in 2012, that's four years from now. This is just me thinking out loud, but that's a lot of time for things to get even worse; just how much I guess we will see. I wouldn't worry about it though, we have enough problems to deal with now.

My for sale thread: NEW!! Check out recent discounts and special offers!
THE EDJ'S FOR SALE THREAD
Old 09-12-2008, 07:40 AM
Advance member

Send a message via AIM to imstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE EDJ View Post
The Mayan calendar predicts that our world will end in 2012, that's four years from now. This is just me thinking out loud, but that's a lot of time for things to get even worse; just how much I guess we will see. I wouldn't worry about it though, we have enough problems to deal with now.
I wont start worrying about the end of days until we see seven years of peace. At that point, we know whats coming next and should be prepared.

As for the Mayan Calendar, and predicting the end of days based on any modern date system; it doesn't compute. It's simply apples to oranges. Most old timey religions were based on the roman calendar which would put us about 8 years ahead of ourselves due to their shorter years. I did the math for 6/6/06 and proved everyone wrong anyways... lol...

As for the LHC, we cant say anything for sure yet as they wont start the good tests until late October. All they did on the 10th was start the machine.

16.8 in the quarter mile isn't fast.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:43 PM
Xmod Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinesekid05 View Post
My math teacher says it's because they got lazy and stopped. Or it was because they were attacked by the Europeans and didn't finish...

Anyways, the whole point is that it's just another day (like meme said) and you shouldn't worry. It's just like 6-6-06. What happened? Nothing. Just Hell, Michigan sold mugs for $6.66.
Your math teacher has no idea what hes talking about (tell him that please, and tell him to stick to math)

They didnt not finish it they made it so it begins a new cycle... just like how are years turn over and we restart the months. Did we not finish our calendar?

@ EDJ, i have no in depth on the subject but the basics were enough to put almost everybody elses irrational fears and theories to bed...

EDIT: my interests lie in the hands of anti-matter and dark matter, if anything along those lines can be proven to exist it would be cool...

Last edited by meme405; 09-12-2008 at 07:47 PM..
Old 09-18-2008, 11:43 PM
I <3 you!

Send a message via AIM to DrIfToRDIe Send a message via Yahoo to DrIfToRDIe

Update:Atom smasher shut down:http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080918/...eu/eu_big_bang
w00t!
Old 09-20-2008, 09:26 AM
XMS Admin

Trader Rating: (35)
Send a message via MSN to zippo855 Send a message via Yahoo to zippo855

down for 2 months
http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/science....ap/index.html

TEAM X.I.
my massive collection of xmods
http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13526