Go Back   XmodSource.com > Miscellaneous > Miscellaneous RC's > Misc Electric
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Old 04-06-2009, 08:01 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (13)
Default Finally got my Slash!

Now I just need to get a proper charger..

Accidentally did a burnout on the counter..

Definitely liking it more than the Pro Pulse though..

Should have the good charger tomorrow, got to do some fixing on the plug ins, had to do some temporary work to get it to run for now.

God I can't wait.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:03 PM
Back from the bodyshop

Trader Rating: (1)

Looks just like mine did but now I have added some stuff. But they are extremely fun even without the brushless. the onyx 200 charger is good thats the one I use.

http://www.nickgrant.co.uk/londontobrighton/013.gif
./_ _ _ ___ __\.
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
Old 04-06-2009, 08:07 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25

I do hate you now.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 04-06-2009, 08:07 PM
Elite member

Not sure what brand the one I will be getting is, but I was recommended it from the person that works in the hobby shop.. says it charges in about 15 minutes, going to pick up another battery too..

Once I get used to this thing I am going brushless. Guy I bought it from has a kit, it was brushless before I got it.. so later on I will be buying that from him.

Thing freaking rips though, in the dirt it was digging down and throwing serious rooster tails. I think my suspension is a bit soft though.. these things have oil filled shocks right? I wonder if they need more oil.. could probably space them out to get the springs a little stiffer but I have no spare parts yet to do it. Maybe just get some new shocks?
Old 04-06-2009, 08:37 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25

They have oiled filled shocks. What doesn't now days in the large scales?

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 04-06-2009, 09:46 PM
Back from the bodyshop

Ya there oil filled but instead of more oil it comes with some plastic spacers that snap on the shcoks to make them stiffer. I did that because I run mine on concrete and keeps the tires from rubbing the inside of the body when the springs are compressed.

./_ _ _ ___ __\.
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
Old 04-06-2009, 10:42 PM
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Trader Rating: (0)

hello kitty? is that your tool box? jk
how much did you spend? i want a larger scale car but i'm afrad parts'll cost way to much...
Old 04-06-2009, 10:48 PM
Elite member

What's a good place to get parts for these from? Any known weak points?

Edit: Originalrider, I got it for $150 used from a co-worker. They can be had for around $200 new without batteries or charger, probably around $300 with everything.

And of course that's my toolbox.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:55 PM
Back from the bodyshop

I think that you can order parts straight from the traxxas website. Not sure though I always get mine from a hobby shop near my house. If not ebay is always a pretty good place. As for weak spots i'm not sure I have driven mine to the point I didn't think it would be drivable from the crash but nothing has broken yet.

./_ _ _ ___ __\.
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
Old 04-06-2009, 11:02 PM
Elite member

The hobby shop wouldn't be a bad idea, but the only hobby shop I know of around here is 80 miles away. Luckily I am there 5 days out of the week, but don't usually have time to spare to stop in and shop around.

Luckily I have a delivery for them tomorrow so I'll be picking up that new charger and some other things. I'm thinking I might look at shock spacers for now, and a way to adjust them on the control arms so they provide a little more strength. Just setting it down on it's own weight they compress a lot, and the rear sags horribly.. which is the look for these trucks but I hate it.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:04 PM
Forum Idiot

Trader Rating: (3)
Send a message via AIM to Sweed Send a message via Yahoo to Sweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ling427ttvette View Post
Thing freaking rips though, in the dirt it was digging down and throwing serious rooster tails. I think my suspension is a bit soft though.. these things have oil filled shocks right? I wonder if they need more oil.. could probably space them out to get the springs a little stiffer but I have no spare parts yet to do it. Maybe just get some new shocks?
Traxxas are a bit soft from the factory.
A set of stiffer springs and heavier oil will run about $20.
Drop another $20 and get aluminum shock caps if it doesn't come with it.
I know our Stampede blew the (stock) shocks continueally on the jumps till we got proper caps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supraboi97 View Post
Ya there oil filled but instead of more oil it comes with some plastic spacers that snap on the shcoks to make them stiffer. I did that because I run mine on concrete and keeps the tires from rubbing the inside of the body when the springs are compressed.
Adding pre-load?
Your loosing spring travel and are essentially raising the ride height.
Lift the truck up, pull all the suspension to max extenstion, set it down and push it down as far as it will go (front and back, till chassis smacks the ground or the suspension bottoms) and let go. When it rises again you'll have your ride height.
"Save us, oh lord, from the wrath of the Norsemen"
Old 04-06-2009, 11:12 PM
Elite member

I figured the suspension was supposed to be soft, but it's so soft that in a tight corner it will lower so much in the rear it raises a front tire. Sure does look bad-*** though.

I don't want to stiffen it extremely, but it does bottom out so much the tires rub the body.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:22 PM
Forum Idiot

Trader Rating: (3)
Send a message via AIM to Sweed Send a message via Yahoo to Sweed

Quote:
I figured the suspension was supposed to be soft, but it's so soft that in a tight corner it will lower so much in the rear it raises a front tire. Sure does look bad-*** though.

I don't want to stiffen it extremely, but it does bottom out so much the tires rub the body.
The 'Pede did the same. Bet the slash looks way more bad *** though... Dunno why Traxxas makes it soft from the factory, guess a soft car is better than a hard car, might be easier on the chassis... I mean, traxxas' chassis are known to be pretty solid but shocks blowning.... I dunno...

Go a color or two stiffer, and heavier weight on the oil. Fairly easy change, takes less than half and hour to do.... And not too expensive...

Check out (spell check it first, or google it) Misbehavin RC for info on modding Traxxas's stuff on the cheap and for beginners. Good info over there.
"Save us, oh lord, from the wrath of the Norsemen"
Old 04-07-2009, 08:19 AM
is here

Send a message via AIM to Stampedekid Send a message via MSN to Stampedekid

Sweet. Brushless is a total overkill. I run a Sidewinder 5700 on a 7 Cell nimh and it is a complete rocket! I hit speeds of over 50mph on my street and about 48mph on the grass and dirt with my Dirt paws on the rear. Ditch the stock tires though. With brushless the rears will go bald, lose traction, they don't have the best traction to begin with. Get a thicker oil in there. Be prepared to be breaking parts because brushless will cause parts to wear faster and break faster under extreme speeds. The 5700 is faster than the Traxxas VXL no matter what Traxxas Says. But it also runs hotter. A good brushless combo is the Castle Mamba Max ESC and either Fegiao 9L or Traxxas VXL Motor. But the Fegiao can handle up to 4S also the VXL only 3S. But have fun with it, its a very fun truck. And remember when you go BL its very easy to waterproof it. Oh and buy a Duratrax Onyx 230. Easiest good charger I use. It may take a while to charge a pack but unless its a LiFe pack or A123 then no battery will get a full charge in 15 minutes for these bad boys. The Onyx 230 can do NiMH, NiCd, LiPo, Li-ion, and LiFe aka A123. And it has a 10 battery memory and is very easy to use.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:27 PM
Elite member

Good god.

Bought myself a real nice charger today, a Dynamite twin peak charger. It'll charge two batteries at once, and can be hooked up to a car battery.

Charged up my battery, and took it for a run. Holy. Crap. It was great while it lasted, but the gears started grinding so I immediately shut it down.

Now I have to wait about an hour to get my allen wrenches, and probably won't be able to actually work on it until later tonight.

Any idea why the gears are grinding? Are they adjustable?
Old 04-07-2009, 05:46 PM
Back from the bodyshop

If it was like mine when I got it the motor was too close to the spur gear so the gear would strip easier. If it is there is just one screw on the back of the motor barely unscrew it and you should be able to adjust the gear mesh to where you want it.

./_ _ _ ___ __\.
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
Old 04-07-2009, 06:08 PM
Elite member

There's no screws on the back of the motor.. isn't it held in on the front by screws?
Old 04-07-2009, 08:14 PM
US Air Force

Trader Rating: (9)

cool and all but whats up with the hello kitty wallet??
Old 04-07-2009, 09:12 PM
Back from the bodyshop

Quote:
There's no screws on the back of the motor.. isn't it held in on the front by screws?
Whoops sorry wasn't looking at the truck when I wrote that but you just take the cover off the back where the spur gear is and there should be a screw either behind or a little beside the spur gear and that should be the one you need to change the motor position.

./_ _ _ ___ __\.
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
Old 04-07-2009, 09:44 PM
Elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustanglover View Post
cool and all but whats up with the hello kitty wallet??
I live with a woman. That should explain it all.

Finally got back from running around, eating BK now.. going to rip into it when I get done eating and test run it. Hopefully they aren't stripped horribly and need replaced. I'll be ****ed.