Go Back   XmodSource.com > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2011, 09:56 PM
XMS Administrator

Trader Rating: (5)
Default iPad vs galaxy

So I bought an iPad, which I have 14 days to decide if I want to keep. The other device I've looked at is the samsung galaxy, but unfortunately, I know nothing about the android OS. The price is the same, and so far the iPad seems like an oversized iPhone. I've read the reviews online but they never seem to be very "real world". Is the android OS more like a computer? Meaning, would I be able to store data and files on it like a laptop? What are some other features android offers that I may be missing on the iPad? All feedback is welcome, thanks in advance.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:05 AM
is awesome

Honestly as a old android user I don't like either the iPad has the iOS which I like but I'd rather have leopard on it and would pay the money to do so. The galaxy is to glitchy for me it is great for on the go but the ipad ha it on the whole work aspect of it because of the larger screen. And te iOS is more stable.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:54 AM
ROTFLSHMSFOAIDMT

Trader Rating: (24)
Send a message via AIM to TheB1GDude Send a message via MSN to TheB1GDude

So I don't own either of them however I do have hands-on experience with both through my job; my company use to give iPads as the gift in customer giveaways at trade shows but recently switched to the Galaxy as the Galaxy has a built in flash player which means our website will on it but not on the iPad.

That at the moment is probably the biggest failing of the iPad right now, however web sites are starting to move away from it, Microsoft are working on their own equivalent so long term it will become less and less of an issue.

Android is favored because it's so open whereas Apple have always claimed they will never release any opensource technologies but Apple iOS is favored because it's so polished and stable.

Both have an AppStore, both claim large numbers of apps but really how many of them are actually useful.

The Android is definitely more hand-held but if you have an iPhone it isn't much bigger, my hands are a little on the large size so I prefer the iPad but that's a personal thing.

Neither one has the file system you are looking for, you can probably get some sort of viewer, Word / Excel / etc, from the AppStore but something like your schematics if you use a custom software tool you are going to have to go to them to see if they on releasing an app for either device.

My current favorite is the Motorola Xoom because for a tablet / mobile device its so powerful, I'm also a big fan of the BlackBerry PlayBook which has a similar sort of processor and RAM to the Xoom, the price for the PlayBook is much cheaper than the Xoom but it's a RIM device so has limited functionality because they dont allow many people to develop Applications.

So I'm sticking with what I said to you yesterday, take back the iPad and wait for iPad2 which is supposedly going to be out in the next few months, it's meant to be thinner, have camera / facetime capabilities, super high-res, faster processor. It will probably cost more but it will be sweet

Duct Tape is like the force:- it has a light side and a dark side and it binds the universe together.....
Old 02-09-2011, 10:38 AM
XMS Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Donziikid

What do you plan on doing with either device?
Light surfing? Media playback? Replace a laptop?
Both have their positives and negatives, and those also depend on what your main intentions are with it.

Cheers,
Kyle

Greyscale Racing Member

The Collection:
Mitsubishi Pajero | AE RC18MT
TLMicroCrawler | Xmod ShowRoom | 'Yota XTruck
"The fun begins when the pavement ends."

Old 02-09-2011, 12:45 PM
XMS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donziikid View Post
Light surfing? Media playback? Replace a laptop?

Cheers,
Kyle
Yes
Old 02-09-2011, 01:11 PM
ROTFLSHMSFOAIDMT

Problem is you aren't going to be able to replace your laptop with one of these, they just don't offer enough functionality for that to be a viable option.

Duct Tape is like the force:- it has a light side and a dark side and it binds the universe together.....
Old 02-09-2011, 06:32 PM
XMS Administrator

They need to just make a MacBook air with the screen reversed and make it full touch. I'd buy that for sure.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:53 PM
ROTFLSHMSFOAIDMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BART View Post
They need to just make a MacBook air with the screen reversed and make it full touch. I'd buy that for sure.
ahhh my failing memory.... Axiotron ModBook Pro - google it!! It will make your day my friend!!

Old 02-09-2011, 08:08 PM
XMS Administrator

You should buy it and we can share (we'll keep it at my house though).
Old 02-09-2011, 09:21 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25

The Dell duo is pretty badass.

Flip the screen, and it goes from lap top to touch tablet.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 02-10-2011, 06:32 AM
XMS Moderator

Trader Rating: (14)

I have a I pad that's what I'm using to type this. I hardly use my laptop anymore. I like it not saying it's perfect but no problems here so far.