Go Back   XmodSource.com > Xmods > XMOD Electronics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Old 12-27-2008, 07:07 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (5)
Default My new ESC

ok so basicly i cannot be bothered with getting a mini -z board and putting it in my xmod (even though it would be cheaper). instead im going to use this EP ( SPEKTRUM DSM 3CH SR3500 MICRO RECEIVER ) so i can go brushless as well and them i can get external turbos installed without all the hastel. This will be my first non xmod board transfer and its gonna cost me £60-£70 or $100+ but i will put this as a project as soon as i get round to being able to purchase it. im pretty sure there is a 130 or 180 brushless motor about.

The Monster Mustang - Link

1955 Chevrolet Bel Air - Link

Old 12-27-2008, 07:17 PM
Working Class Hero

Trader Rating: (32)
Send a message via MSN to TripleXmodder(akaXXX)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckerz View Post
ok so basicly i cannot be bothered with getting a mini -z board and putting it in my xmod (even though it would be cheaper). instead im going to use this EP ( SPEKTRUM DSM 3CH SR3500 MICRO RECEIVER ) so i can go brushless as well and them i can get external turbos installed without all the hastel. This will be my first non xmod board transfer and its gonna cost me £60-£70 or $100+ but i will put this as a project as soon as i get round to being able to purchase it. im pretty sure there is a 130 or 180 brushless motor about.
I wouldn't do the brushless conversion. It will get bulky and ugly. Just upgrade to lithium and get a good motor. Believe me it will be VERY fast.
Old 12-27-2008, 07:26 PM
Elite member

well i thought about the evo chassis but it would be easier to put a round motor in a gen1 (as i have a gen1 chassis with no esc or motor). shoudnt be too difficult to modifiy. battery pack will held with storng velcro pads in the shell think it 9.4v (lipo-2200mah). external turbo will fit nicely under the shell.
no need for fan because of no side battery packs it will be getting plenty of air.

Old 12-27-2008, 07:29 PM
Working Class Hero

Quote:
well i thought about the evo chassis but it would be easier to put a round motor in a gen1 (as i have a gen1 chassis with no esc or motor). shoudnt be too difficult to modifiy. battery pack will held with storng velcro pads in the shell think it 9.4v (lipo-2200mah). external turbo will fit nicely under the shell.
no need for fan because of no side battery packs it will be getting plenty of air.

what esc do you have. to go brushless you need an ESC, reciever, micro servo, BEC and a brushless motor. (the losi 1/36 combo is good for this mod)

Last edited by TripleXmodder(akaXXX); 12-27-2008 at 07:39 PM..
Old 12-27-2008, 07:30 PM
Elite member

i have already said lol
SPEKTRUM DSM 3CH SR3500 MICRO RECEIVER

Old 12-27-2008, 07:39 PM
Working Class Hero

Quote:
i have already said lol
SPEKTRUM DSM 3CH SR3500 MICRO RECEIVER
Right sorry. but thats not an ESC thats a reciever.
Old 12-27-2008, 07:41 PM
Elite member

yeh i know :/ theres another with crystal but its basicly 3 plugs, servo, motor, battery.
but i could just use the spare esc from my nitro. iv also seen a venom 7.2 2000mah stick batery, same size as 1 AA battery, i can use that because thats also what i have in my nitro.

Last edited by deckerz; 12-27-2008 at 07:47 PM..
Old 12-27-2008, 07:52 PM
drifter and engineer

Send a message via AIM to XMDrifter

brushless will completely SHATTER AND ANNIHILATE you gears. be them derlin or not. only aluminum and stuff can take the amount of power brushless puts out.
Old 12-27-2008, 07:53 PM
Working Class Hero

Quote:
yeh i know :/ theres another with crystal but its basicly 3 plugs, servo, motor, battery.
but i could just use the spare esc from my nitro. iv also seen a venom 7.2 2000mah stick batery, same size as 1 AA battery, i can use that because thats also what i have in my nitro.

Okay, just do alot of research before you get started. Checkout my thread. XXX Project "make your guesses" that has alot of info on this subject there.

There is also pictures of all the neccesary electronics.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:14 PM
XMS Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Donziikid

Quote:
How does your Nitro RC have an ESC? An ESC is an electronic speed control, and if it's a Nitro RC, an ESC is not needed. A receiver is to maintain control, but not an ESC. I don't believe you quite understand the difference between an ESC and a receiver.

An electronic speed controller (ESC) is what powers the motor (forward and reverse function) of your RC. However, a receiver is what transmits the signal from your RC (RX receiver) to your transmitter (TX transmitter) which tells the RC what to do. This is then relayed over to the servo, telling it to go left or right, or the ESC, telling it go forward or reverse.

From what I gather, you believe an ESC is a receiver. Which it is not.

Greyscale Racing Member

The Collection:
Mitsubishi Pajero | AE RC18MT
TLMicroCrawler | Xmod ShowRoom | 'Yota XTruck
"The fun begins when the pavement ends."

Old 12-27-2008, 08:14 PM
Elite member

ok but iv just thought if its a reciver shouldn't it have a crystal? or does it?
i just looked at a close up of the pic and the 3 slots, one is power, one is, servo and one is motor just like on a nitro reviver box (exept motor is throttle servo). so i dont think you would need the mini-z board.

Old 12-27-2008, 08:16 PM
Elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donziikid View Post
How does your Nitro RC have an ESC? An ESC is an electronic speed control, and if it's a Nitro RC, an ESC is not needed. A receiver is to maintain control, but not an ESC. I don't believe you quite understand the difference between an ESC and a receiver.

An electronic speed controller (ESC) is what powers the motor (forward and reverse function) of your RC. However, a receiver is what transmits the signal from your RC (RX receiver) to your transmitter (TX transmitter) which tells the RC what to do. This is then relayed over to the servo, telling it to go left or right, or the ESC, telling it go forward or reverse.

From what I gather, you believe an ESC is a receiver. Which it is not.

i do understand but people kept confusing me by saying that esc and ep are the same, esc is board, ep is board ect... but thanks for telling me.

Old 12-27-2008, 08:19 PM
Working Class Hero

Quote:
ok but iv just thought if its a reciver shouldn't it have a crystal? or does it?
i just looked at a close up of the pic and the 3 slots, one is power, one is, servo and one is motor just like on a nitro reviver box (exept motor is throttle servo). so i dont think you would need the mini-z board.

you don't need a mini-z board (which is not an esc it is a PCB just like xmods)

If you read the thread, I was going to use the Z board then decided to go brushless. Look at post #18 that is what you need and I even drew a picture of the basic setup.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:21 PM
XMS Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Donziikid

Quote:
i do understand but people kept confusing me by saying that esc and ep are the same, esc is board, ep is board ect... but thanks for telling me.
In an Xmod, they are correct. However, in most hobby grade electronics, this does not always hold true. Xmods electronics boards are integrated; the ESC and receiver are all on the same "board." However, when you jump to other electronics, they are not integrated. MiniZ "boards" are the same way; the ESC and receiver electronics are all on the same "board."

But, when you take a look at something like a 1:18th scale RC, this doesn't hold true. Take a look at the Associated RC18's, they have a receiver (Associated TR203A 2-channel) and an ESC (Associated XPS micro). The receiver receives the data transmitted from your transmitter and tells the rest of the electronics what to do (servo and ESC). Without one or the other, your RC will go no where under your power.

Greyscale Racing Member

The Collection:
Mitsubishi Pajero | AE RC18MT
TLMicroCrawler | Xmod ShowRoom | 'Yota XTruck
"The fun begins when the pavement ends."

Old 12-27-2008, 08:26 PM
Elite member

well it sounds and looks like its gonna be good but dont the 3 lith cells weigh it down abit?
lithium cost more thats why im using vemon lithium poly, i use venom AAA alks in my xxmod at the moment. 1.5v each so i got 6v now.

Old 12-27-2008, 08:48 PM
Elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donziikid View Post
In an Xmod, they are correct. However, in most hobby grade electronics, this does not always hold true. Xmods electronics boards are integrated; the ESC and receiver are all on the same "board." However, when you jump to other electronics, they are not integrated. MiniZ "boards" are the same way; the ESC and receiver electronics are all on the same "board."

But, when you take a look at something like a 1:18th scale RC, this doesn't hold true. Take a look at the Associated RC18's, they have a receiver (Associated TR203A 2-channel) and an ESC (Associated XPS micro). The receiver receives the data transmitted from your transmitter and tells the rest of the electronics what to do (servo and ESC). Without one or the other, your RC will go no where under your power.

ok thanks for explaining, but i wont need a esc for xmod will i?
i can link the motor straight to the box cant i?
sorry, i dont know about this setup because i belive its like this on micro and mini t but i do not have one.

Old 12-27-2008, 09:40 PM
Working Class Hero

Quote:
ok thanks for explaining, but i wont need a esc for xmod will i?
i can link the motor straight to the box cant i?
sorry, i dont know about this setup because i belive its like this on micro and mini t but i do not have one.

NO YOU CAN'T. you need an ESC. Look at it like this. In the xmod is the PCB and it has a crystal in it right. When you go brushless you need an ESC and a reciever. Think of the ESC like a PCB and the reciever like you have as the crystal (It's not really like that but I think you can understand that. Also on the Xmod PCB there is a servo contected to it, you need to use a micro servo (HS55) instead and that also will connect to the ESC. ALso the Micro servo can only handle up to 9v so on mine I have 3 liths so thats like 11v, so I need a BEC to regulate the volts to the servo and drop it to 6v. You don't need the BEC unless you use more then 7.2v.

It is a totally different setup and you would need to remove everything and get all that new stuff. Remember the reciever is like having the xmod crystal but no board.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:46 PM
Elite member

ok......i get it now, are there any 4 pin micro servos? or will a hs55 work on the nitro box too?

Old 12-27-2008, 09:52 PM
Working Class Hero

Quote:
ok......i get it now, are there any 4 pin micro servos? or will a hs55 work on the nitro box too?

Im sorry whats the Nitro box
Old 12-27-2008, 10:02 PM
Elite member

well its the stock one that came with it (has been upgraded to the latest reciver box) its a Ace tr 202a