Go Back   XmodSource.com > Miscellaneous > Real Cars: Full scale > August 08'-09' Build Off
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Old 04-23-2009, 09:44 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25

Still in planning with the side pipes, since I'm doing all my exhaust gaskets this weekend.

But

Well there's your problem

No wonder you could hear my exhaust leak before my tail pipes
The paper gasket we threw in at the last minute turned into a solid piece, and was blown out in the center banks. New gasket at the head, just gotta fix the lower driver's side now it sounds like, and I'm all good.

Also, looking around for a rear bumper: I want to keep something useful. I love the utility of this bumper, it makes getting in and out of the bed, tail gate up or down, very easy. The hit hook up is a plus. Problem is, it's ugly.

So, while driving around I've been looking at bumpers of late-model trucks for idea, and think I have found the best looking doner. Just got to get my truck side by side to compare them, but:

Versus:

Photochopped:

Picked the ram bumper, because it's smaller than the boxed out and over sized F150 bumpers, but with much less plastic than the GM truck bumpers. It's a relativily smooth looking bumper with plenty of stepping room, has hitch hook ups and all.

Looking to get a stock set of bumper mounts, and drilling out the dodge bumper for bumper bolts.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 05-15-2009, 05:25 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Thanks to a fat $254 paycheck, my debts are payed off, and after next friday prom is up. And the Chevrolet can be the one that rapes my wallet for now on...

RIght-on!!

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 05-21-2009, 01:53 PM
SPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan_idiot25 View Post
Thanks to a fat $254 paycheck, my debts are payed off, and after next friday prom is up. And the Chevrolet can be the one that rapes my wallet for now on...

RIght-on!!
LOL man wait for like 2 more years, if you make anything less than 300 a week your going to be broke as hell the rest of your life lol. fat pay check.. HA!

lol trucks looking good!
Old 05-21-2009, 04:16 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Fat paycheck for I. That's just a paycheck though. Tips are where it's at. But 10 mpg tends to keep that in check.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:18 PM
SPR

haha yeah i bet!

I wish i had a job that makes tips, you work at the right place and you make freaking bankkkk!! My sister is a event manager as this fancy resturant in pendleton, and i mean this place is freaking fannncy! when she host a large event she makes more money in tips than she does her wage! its crazy.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:29 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Pizza delivery, I make much more in tips than wage if I work weekends too. Nothing like 150ish in cash at the end of the weekend for a teen.

Prom is done with tonight, and after the Laser gets it's starter, the cash shall flow back into the truck.

Old 05-24-2009, 04:21 AM
SPR

****, i need to get a job with tips haha. good luck with the rest of the truck,!
Old 06-11-2009, 05:18 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

New drop shocks on the way! To replace the "Opps, nitrogen shocks can go upside down" Edition Doetsch I have up front. Tired of bouncing off bumpstops and on delivery in rough roads with the headers kissing the ground on occasion.

Next up is replacing the steering box output seal, since it leaks rather bad. With good timing, as a few days ago, hit a near foot deep pot hole on a dirt road. Couldn't see it coming, until baBAM, and then another BABAM as my rear end bounced on threw. Destroyed the passenger side bump stop, and broke an exhaust hanger.. so drove home with the passenger side exhaust pipe resting on the axle. Also it totally jacked up my alignment, but since it will have to be re-aligned when doing the seal, it's not all bad. Just pulls to the right a bit while driving, and to the left when braking and hitting bumps, so it's a bump steer issue.

Meh, but the truck is a tank! shoulda seen the hole.

After this, saving up for front tires, and rust repair.

And Royal Purple motor oil, kick *** stuff. The motor feels a bit happier, and runs 10 degrees or so cooler. Takes no time to warm up either.

Last edited by texan_idiot25; 06-11-2009 at 05:21 PM..
Old 06-13-2009, 12:51 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

http://houston.craigslist.org/pts/1193001267.html

WOOT, found a donor truck with a pretty solid cab... Setting this up as we speak.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:40 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Woot, Summit is fast. And I do highly recomend shopping summit before you buy straight from a company. Reason being, I run Doetsch nitrogen shocks. As explained before, front shocks went bad.. So, running on Doetsch's site, these shocks are like 40 or so a piece. Not that bad for shocks. A member on the Chevy forum for my trucks gave me a part # for summit, and told me they were the same thing. I'm thinking "same thing, made by a third party?". But for 30/ shock, can't complain.

Turns out... It's the exact same shock, made by the same company. the sticker is worth 10 bucks I guess. Plus summit provides all the mounting hardware and a frame stud to bolt it all in.

Yay for summit, got here in 2 days too.

Hopefully this wednesday I'll be driving out to see the donor truck. Have a trailer lined up for it, just need a tow rig. The CST10 is a candidate, if it weren't for the fuel bill.

Last edited by texan_idiot25; 06-14-2009 at 11:52 PM..
Old 08-29-2009, 10:28 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Why hello, long time no see.

What's this on the horizon?

Is that a rust free cab? How much is it? $100 bucks? AWESOME!

Where is it? Ft Worth? I'm there.

No more BS trails and chases. Tomorrow I bring home the new addition.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:47 PM
Subaru Nut

Trader Rating: (7)

wow thats beautiful man great work. any luck with a tow rig?or still with the cst
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donziikid View Post
You can't fix stupid.
MY TUTORIALS
SNOW PLOW
HUMMER DROP HITCH
DULLY TIRE TUT
Old 08-29-2009, 10:52 PM
Elite member

Send a message via AIM to monsterhunter

wow awesome work so far, and thats gonna be some fun switching out every thing from the old cab to the new cab good luck man.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:01 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadV8 View Post
wow thats beautiful man great work. any luck with a tow rig?or still with the cst

http://jalopnik.com/349357/1971-chev...with-extra-cab

Redneck style

Old 08-29-2009, 11:05 PM
Subaru Nut

lol that works. good luck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donziikid View Post
You can't fix stupid.
MY TUTORIALS
SNOW PLOW
HUMMER DROP HITCH
DULLY TIRE TUT
Old 08-29-2009, 11:27 PM
Bored...

Nice cab. Are you going to replace the running board or the entire cab? You should get a Rhino Liner so you don't scuff up that pretty amazing truck.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:35 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Entire cab. The rockers are nothing compared to the passenger A-Pillar damage.

It's a truck 1st and foremost. It's already got it's fair share of scratches and dents in the bed already, no need to protect the business end. It's a pretty truck, but it works too. 500lbs of lumber? 30+ used tires? Ovens? 20 or so rims? Small Block Fords? Bikes, motorcycles?

I use my lowered classic 2wd truck in more dirt and more payload than most modern pick up owners.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:50 PM
Bored...

Wow. Good luck with that! Hope it wont be too hard. Looks like you're going to need a new DD unless you do a rapid weekend swap.

And for the record my dads '02 lifted Crew Cab HD Silverado works pretty hard. The thing has hauled enough lumber and more to build a small house, and even though my dad has been sayign the tranny is going out for almost 3 years, the thing is looking like its going to be one of those 300,00+ mile vehicles that is still running strong and looks like it wont be replaced anytime soon. He's done all the services himself, replaced a wheel bearing or two, and a whole bunch more!
Old 08-30-2009, 02:37 AM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

As the saying goes, "GM cars run bad longer than most cars run at all"

The cab will be prepped and painted and pre-wired and predrilled (seats) as much as possible. It will be a 3 day job at most as far as actually swapping the cabs.

Day 1- pull hood, dissconnect anything that touches the front clip and fire wall, pull front clip, strip cab of doors and interior. Swap glass if possible

Day 2- pull old cab, put in new cab. Put everything back together

Day 3- put everything back together, and get everything to work again

Night of day 3- Drive with out rust.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:40 AM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank