Go Back   XmodSource.com > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Old 06-21-2009, 09:39 PM
All 6's and 7's

Trader Rating: (8)
Send a message via MSN to bondo
Default new pups and invisible fence questions.

just under a month and a half ago my wife and i decided to get some pups.
we've both had pets pretty much our entire lives but not since we've been together.
i prefer something in the form of pit or boxer,she prefers footballs shaped like dogs....
we split the difference and came up with beagles.though i feel that it still leans more towards her preference..
we found an older couple that had two littermates left,a male and a female.
brought em home and my wife and son named them spike and belle. (snoopy's siblings)
i wanted to name em smeagle and regal.......
anyone remember the regal beagle??????

anyways,here's the pups @ 9 weeks.(they're 12 weeks old today)

my questions about the invisible fence are, how many of you use them,what kind and what kind of options does it carry??
3/4 of my back yard is chainlink but the last 1/4 opens onto city property so i'd rather not take the chances of building a fence and then having to tear it down.......$%^$ asking for permission.....
so my alternative is do use an invisible fence but basically what i'm looking for is something with advanced warning that's reletively cheap and come with atleast 80' of wire.

any help is appreciated.
i tried asking on a few dog oriented forums and all i got was a #$^&%load of people telling me how inhumane i was for even thinking about it.....

Last edited by bondo; 06-21-2009 at 09:49 PM..
Old 06-21-2009, 09:45 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (18)

i personally wouldnt use the invisible fence. we used to have it and it shocks them once and after that they get over it and they can go where ever they want to. its not that good of an idea and not worth the money spent

bad spammers !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by imstock View Post
Holy sh*t.

Do your shirts come with instructions or did your parents label the holes with magic marker?

You are incapable of doing anything without someone holding your hand, you cant even use Google apparently.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:50 PM
XMS Administrator

Trader Rating: (5)

The invisible fence brand is ridiculously priced, like close to a grand for the full system. We just bought the petsafe system from pet supplies plus and it is awesome. 129 for the system which came with a control box, 500 foot of wire and a collar, we had to buy a second collar for an additional 80 bucks. Installation is easy, we used our gas edger and cut a trench through the yard and you cant even see where we put it in. Its a neat setup because you can deaden the signal wire at places you dont want them to get lit up (like the run that goes to the garage where the control box is. The instructions call for a 30 day training process but we fast tracked it and within a day our dogs knew that the white flags (included) were bad news. If they get to close the collar starts to beep and if they keep going (which they only had to do once to get the picture) they get lit up. They will now lay in the front yard and just watch other dogs go by and not even think about going after them. Excellent investment, and it makes me laugh at the price of the name brand "invisible fence". Any other questions, just ask.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:50 PM
XMS Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Donziikid

Agreed. We have tried both an invisible fence for our mutt and one of those shock collars that you just push a button to zap train 'em. Neither worked worth a **** and was a huge waste of money. Save your money and spend $5 on a long *** wire and some cable ties. Much cheaper than buying a metal leash; simple to make your own.

Cute pups by the way.

Cheers,
Kyle.

[EDIT] From BARTs response I suppose it is hit or miss for each different animal..

Greyscale Racing Member

The Collection:
Mitsubishi Pajero | AE RC18MT
TLMicroCrawler | Xmod ShowRoom | 'Yota XTruck
"The fun begins when the pavement ends."

Old 06-21-2009, 09:54 PM
All 6's and 7's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scionbeave View Post
i personally wouldnt use the invisible fence. we used to have it and it shocks them once and after that they get over it and they can go where ever they want to. its not that good of an idea and not worth the money spent
how long ago was it though?
from what i've gathered so far,todays fences carry an advance warning that gives the dog 25% of the maximum hit(set by owner) then progresses to 100% at the wire and continues until the dog retreats.
one of the few people that did'nt reply with SPCA propoganda on the other forums said that his pups never got within 5' of the buried wire.
IDK though, i'm just looking for some more input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX9RBART View Post
The invisible fence brand is ridiculously priced, like close to a grand for the full system. We just bought the petsafe system from pet supplies plus and it is awesome. 129 for the system which came with a control box, 500 foot of wire and a collar, we had to buy a second collar for an additional 80 bucks. Installation is easy, we used our gas edger and cut a trench through the yard and you cant even see where we put it in. Its a neat setup because you can deaden the signal wire at places you dont want them to get lit up (like the run that goes to the garage where the control box is. The instructions call for a 30 day training process but we fast tracked it and within a day our dogs knew that the white flags (included) were bad news. If they get to close the collar starts to beep and if they keep going (which they only had to do once to get the picture) they get lit up. They will now lay in the front yard and just watch other dogs go by and not even think about going after them. Excellent investment, and it makes me laugh at the price of the name brand "invisible fence". Any other questions, just ask.
an audible warning makes perfect sense.
that's exactly what i'm talking about but i don't need quite so much wire......though i 'spose if the bury is as neat as you say it is then the city might not even notice that i've made their property my dogs toilet......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donziikid View Post
Agreed. We have tried both an invisible fence for our mutt and one of those shock collars that you just push a button to zap train 'em. Neither worked worth a **** and was a huge waste of money. Save your money and spend $5 on a long *** wire and some cable ties. Much cheaper than buying a metal leash; simple to make your own.

Cute pups by the way.

Cheers,
Kyle.

[EDIT] From BARTs response I suppose it is hit or miss for each different animal..
pedigree might play a part in it but i know from experience that shock collars do in fact work.
my last dog was a german shepherd named jake and that was THE MOST well behaved dog i have ever seen let alone owned and he was the only dog i owned trained with a shock collar.

Last edited by bondo; 06-21-2009 at 10:04 PM..
Old 06-21-2009, 09:54 PM
XMS Administrator

My friend also has one for his huge dog and we were at his house last weekend, I threw the dogs toy and the dog ran so far and just stopped. I asked where his collar was and my friend said it has been broke for 6 months. The dog is smarter than you think and would not leave it's safe area, even without the shock collar on. This is what convinced us to buy one.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:42 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (0)

My bro just recently built a house and put in an invisible fence.

It has 3 "levels."
It it gets within like 10 feet of the fence, its a minor shock, 5 feet is a little stronger, and any closer than like a foot is maximum shock.

A plus to the one he has is that it is also a trainer, meaning it has a remote, so you can give it a little shock when it barks or does something bad.

I'm not sure of the brand, or the price, but I think it was less than $500.

I can get back to you within a week or two on that info.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:29 AM
All 6's and 7's

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnotmikal View Post

I'm not sure of the brand, or the price, but I think it was less than $500.

I can get back to you within a week or two on that info.
the thread will still be here and i'll still appreciate it.

thanks.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:46 AM
Bored...

Trader Rating: (7)

I have an invisible fence, and because of it, the dogs (and our cat... yes we have a rouge cat who LOVES going outside) NEVER go outside of our yard. The first time our oldest pug met it, she lept about a foot off the ground. she got the message. Its great for the entire yard, (and certain places in the house - they have little "in-house" things that have a rnage, not a wire... you could try that) but just a little nip of yard... At least leash the dogs down. Its the scariest feeling when your dog goes missing...

BTW those dogs are PRECIOUS!!
Old 06-22-2009, 01:54 AM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25

It works REALLY good. My god parent's dogs are beagles, and used to get out all the time. Get onto major road ways and such like that.

The only way out is along the driveway. Well, after the training, they swear the driveway is possessed. Unless their in a car, they won't go up the driveway. They only go up the front walkway.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 06-22-2009, 02:23 AM
Advance member

Trader Rating: (2)
Send a message via AIM to 05'GTSTANG

Id say the invisible fences work well seeing that i was walking down the street and my neighbor has a full grown pitbull and it came running at me full speed until it hit that fence and it did some kind of unexplainable backflip-bark-yelp thing and it scared the **** out of me but seemed to be effective.
Mustang SVT Cobra- No Chassis
Nissan Titan- Red
Project: Slightly Wicked

Im sotally Tober.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:26 AM
XMS Administrator

The 500 foot of wire is just what comes with it. Of course it can be cut down to any length you want. Using an edger, by the time we were done there was no wy to tell where we laid the wire. There were areas where we had to run the wire that we didn't want them to get shocked and it is simple to deaden sections so that the collar does not pick it up. Our entire system with 2 collars was 200 bucks.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:52 PM
Xmod Expert

Well i dunno my buddies dog, an american pitbull, they got him really young like about 6 weeks, and they put up an invisible fence. It worked while he was young but as he grew and got stronger he figured it out.

By the time they took down the invisible fence and put up a wood fence. All you had to do was let the dog out and he would position himself and run full speed at the fence. He figured out that past that initial shock once he got out of the zone he was free.

This dog was stuborn as hell though, great dog, but stubborn and vicious to those that didnt know him or he didnt know. He eventually got put down because of an altercation in which he picked up some dog and threw him aside then attacked the owner.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:23 PM
Stage 1 member

Send a message via AIM to supraracer

I think it depends on the dog i know a few people with these and some dont even try it and some just do what the please i guess it doesnt bother them.
I have it and i also have a beagle which is now 15 years old and he wont bother trying any more but when he was younger, if there was something worth it on the other side he didnt care.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:47 PM
is here

Trader Rating: (1)
Send a message via AIM to Stampedekid Send a message via MSN to Stampedekid

Bondo, cute pups. Just train the dogs . I guess its easy for me to say since dad worked in the K-9 unit at the police dept before he got promoted so we have our own personal dog handler. Teach your dogs the limits of the yard and while they are pups go outside with them when they are out. I'm beat so in the morning I'll try to help with more advice..not really thinking too much right now.