Go Back   XmodSource.com > Xmods > XMOD Electronics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Old 11-30-2008, 10:41 AM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (4)

as stated the cell phone cells just dont have the guts to power a high draw device (motor in this case) and trying to draw more than they will allow will result in overload overheat and a huge explosion !
and a gen1 one max voltage is 7.4v
an evo is 8v FYI

XMS and XMF february COTM winner
Old 11-30-2008, 02:01 PM
Modifier

Trader Rating: (3)
Send a message via ICQ to Skv012a Send a message via AIM to Skv012a Send a message via Yahoo to Skv012a

So you guys are saying that the control board on phone batts limits it to 3.7V, correct? Then wiring 2 in series circuit would combine them and provide the 7.4 needed, no? I wouldn't want to draw more voltage per battery since there's no point if there are 2 working together. If this is correct, then there's no need to alter the batteries and stock chargers will work just fine. The eye candy here is that theoretically you can double the capacity than that of the best RC lith kits at a real fraction of the price.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:12 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (8)

i dont know where people are getting the 7.2 and 7.4V from for the max voltage on the gen 1's. Gen 1's run on 7.2V when running lithium. The max the board can handle is 8.4V. I would try the cell phone batteries you mentioned as they have a great capacity. Here is a quote from Atomicmods: "Will the 8.4 volts hurt my XMOD?
No the XMOD will handle 8.4 volts just fine. Rob has cars that have had Lithium for two years that still run great. We also have countless customers are using Lithium without any problems."
Old 11-30-2008, 02:24 PM
XMS Administrator

Trader Rating: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skv012a View Post
So you guys are saying that the control board on phone batts limits it to 3.7V, correct? Then wiring 2 in series circuit would combine them and provide the 7.4 needed, no? I wouldn't want to draw more voltage per battery since there's no point if there are 2 working together. If this is correct, then there's no need to alter the batteries and stock chargers will work just fine. The eye candy here is that theoretically you can double the capacity than that of the best RC lith kits at a real fraction of the price.
Your missing the whole point here, cell phone batteries are designed to deliver a very small amount of current over a long time, they are not meant for a high draw application such as running an xmod. The "control board" does not limit the cells to 3.7 volts. They are 3.7 volt cells regardless of what controls are placed on them. The built in circuit is there to protect the batteries. it limits the amount of current that can be drawn from the battery, not the voltage. Now when your talking capacity, if you hook 2 cells (or 1000 cells) in series you do nothing to increase the capacity, the capacity remains at the rated MAH. The MAH is also just a ballpark number because you also need to know the "C" rating of the cells, which is basically the maximum "safe" amount of current that the cells can put out. I think I covered it all, let me know if I missed something.

Last edited by BART; 11-30-2008 at 02:27 PM..
Old 11-30-2008, 02:35 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25

From and old Nokia, and my noob days...

There's an example of the control board in the cell phone battery on a much older Nokia phone. I can try and dig up the old pics of the NiMH cells from another phone that I tired... Or maybe they were liths.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 11-30-2008, 02:37 PM
XMS Administrator

Those look like NIMH cells. (looks like there are 6 cells wired in series)
Old 11-30-2008, 02:37 PM
Banned

V Origanally posted by ZX9RBART

Your missing the whole point here

WTF dont you get?!
Old 11-30-2008, 02:42 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX9RBART View Post
Those look like NIMH cells. (looks like there are 6 cells wired in series)
The ones pictured are NiMH yes.

This is the lith ones.

From seriously like 3 years ago. Never worked well no matter what I tired. I did get them out of the case and tried them, but they had no run time worth while so I never went on trying.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 11-30-2008, 02:58 PM
XMS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMMER H4 View Post
V Origanally posted by ZX9RBART

WTF dont you get?!
?????
Old 11-30-2008, 03:41 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX9RBART View Post
?????
Apparently your missing the point.

Old 11-30-2008, 04:09 PM
Banned

Lmao i was just pointing out that they're worthless and too listed to your post. Geez.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:14 PM
Modifier

Send a message via ICQ to Skv012a Send a message via AIM to Skv012a Send a message via Yahoo to Skv012a

What can I use to measure the C rating/current and what current am I looking for normal performance? I just need all the technical info to see if I can make this work or not. To me, using what I already have seems more logical than buying extra, pricy solutions that will be limited JUST to the XM I buy them for.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:06 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (4)

you cannot measure the c rating just be told they wont work and if this is all about money ask yourself how much money will it cost to replace the items in your house when you burn it down ?

XMS and XMF february COTM winner
Old 11-30-2008, 05:20 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (13)

Dude, you really need to open up your eyes and listen to these guys. It's not going to work, like mentioned they won't have the proper voltage to run the car. And, you will get like 2 minutes run time probably because a cell phone slowly draws power from the battery where as the Xmod will take as much as it can all at once.

You need to just quit now and buy the proper stuff for the car, if cell phone liths would work well, don't you think it would have been done by now and would be a very popular mod?
Old 11-30-2008, 09:00 PM
SPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skv012a View Post
What can I use to measure the C rating/current and what current am I looking for normal performance? I just need all the technical info to see if I can make this work or not. To me, using what I already have seems more logical than buying extra, pricy solutions that will be limited JUST to the XM I buy them for.

This is going to be the most simple straight forward post ever. If you can not understand this. well there is no help for you, and i suggest everyone else to stop posting in here.

Cell Phone Batterys are a BAD BAD BAD BAD IDEA.

The cost to Make a Cell phone battery even SLIGHTLY functional is going to be MORE than a lithium setup designed for a xmod!

Lithium set ups are NOT THAT EXPENSIVE. Save your pennys for like a month and you'll be able to buy one.

Plain and simple. Have a nice day
Old 11-30-2008, 10:33 PM
drifter and engineer

Send a message via AIM to XMDrifter

just drop it fido. cell phone batteries aren't good.
that's all you have to do.
save some money and get REAL lithium packs.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:11 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Try if you will, I'm all for experimenting. But, this was done years ago to little avail. I myself experimented with it, and it wound up useless for the most part.

It's been proven a bust, the cells simply were not designed for the abuse an application such as xmods would put on the cell. You not only could waste cash, but damaging the cells while runing them on the xmod could lead to a nice and lovely lithium fire. Not fun.