Go Back   XmodSource.com > Xmods > The XMS Repair and Modification Manual > XMOD Body Tutorials > XMOD Paint Tutorials
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2008, 09:27 PM
LM Graphics

Trader Rating: (5)
Default Airbrush Tutorial: Ghost Flames

This tutorial will show you how to paint ghost flames on your XMod.

-----

1. Gather all the materials.
-Paints
--Base coat
--Metallic base (gold/silver)
--White
--Clear color of your choice
--Clear coat
-Airbrush
-Masking tape (Try to get relatively transparent tape)
-Pencil
-Craft knife with fresh blade
-Clear plastic (Not pictured)

2. Mask off the windows, and then lay down the base coat. Let this fully dry, and then lay down the metallic base.
Note - the body doesn't have full coverage because I am only painting the bottom half.

3. Get your masking tape and draw out your flames. Take your time and do it right. I went for a tribal flame design here.

4. Place the flame design over the clear plastic (Here I used a CD).

5. Place a blank piece of tape on the other side of the plastic, making sure it fully overlaps the tape with your flames on it. Then, put the plastic on a window so light shines though. You should be able to see the flame design under the blank tape; trace it onto the blank tape. This whole process gives you two flame designs, one for each side, and it saves the trouble of freehanding two flame designs.

Take one of the flame designs and place it on a smooth, dirt free surface. Cut out the flames CAREFULLY. I repeat - TAKE YOUR TIME. This is a crucial step where the paintjob could go right or very wrong. Once you're done cutting, CAREFULLY pull away the actual flames. Here, we want the negative.

Take another piece of tape and place it over the cutout. It is helpful to use tape with less adhesion, so the following steps are easier. Then, pull away both pieces of tape, again, carefully. There are thin parts that could easily tear.

Place the pieces of tape on the body, and pull away the top piece of tape. (Careful!)

Make sure the tape is fully seated on the body; you can press it down with a finger. Now, get the metallic color and white. Mix around 60% white and 40% gold, you can add more white to get a lighter and more subtle design.

Spray the flames, let it dry, and then pull off the tape.

Now, spray the clear color. Spray it evenly, anywhere the paint is heavier, the color will be darker. Let that dry, and then follow with a clear coat. You can polish it up to really get a good shine.

This is as distinct the flames get. When you are not looking at an angle, they are very subtle.

-----

Flames aren't the only thing you can ghost. Be creative - the only time you'll be fully satisfied with yourself is when you are not completely following a tutorial. Don't be afraid to add your own touch to it.

Congrats,
-LM

I will not be able to visit these forums very much anymore. If you need to contact me, please e-mail me at [email protected]. I will finish up all bodies I have and get them shipped to each of their owners. Thank you.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:34 PM
washed-up, retired, cool.

Trader Rating: (1)

Some logos or numbers would be awesome to ghost! Great tutorial. I personally liked it with just gold, but the red is very nice as well. Is this a sneak peek at a future project?

Old 07-07-2008, 12:10 AM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (0)

man that paint job looks good
Old 10-02-2008, 02:18 PM
Banned

Default Awesome Tutorial!

Great tutorial with lots of techniques. Thanks!
Old 10-02-2008, 05:54 PM
Xmod Expert

Send a message via AIM to torredo

very nice write up!!
Old 10-03-2008, 09:47 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (4)
Send a message via AIM to merc3des

Yea this inspired me to get an airbrush and start painting. I'ma start with solid colors and then try this!

Mercedes Track Car v2 (50% finished) :
http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18360

Comeback Supra Project (trust me tune in):
http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20546