Go Back   XmodSource.com > Xmods > XMOD Electronics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Old 08-11-2008, 11:42 PM
Advance member

Trader Rating: (0)
Send a message via AIM to imstock
Default Hmm.. whys it so slow?

As I eluded to in my introduction in the New Members forum, I found my 4 year old Xmod two weeks ago while me and my wife were packing. As soon as we relocated to our new apartment I began unpacking my office and set aside the toys.

I tried it out the other night after resoldering a few pieces that had broken loose, but it was EXTREMELY laggy. It would take forever to get upto a respectable speed but once moving would accelerate exponentially.

I tore it down trying to find the source of the problem. Apparently, four years ago when Xmods were fresh on the market and I swapped my motor for one from a Crest Spinbrush I neglected to reattach a small brown something to from the hot wire to the can. This is the only reason I can fathom for having burnt thr terminal off inside the motor where it touches the armature.

No big deal though. I am looking into an S02 or S03 anyways...

16.8 in the quarter mile isn't fast.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:21 AM
The Original S.S.

Trader Rating: (2)
Send a message via AIM to SUPERSHELBY Send a message via Yahoo to SUPERSHELBY

burnt brushes it sounds like. and if u plan on gettin an S02 or S03 dont 4get 2 upgrade the FETs.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:03 AM
XMS Administrator

Trader Rating: (5)

the burnt brown something was one of the noise suppression capacitors which decrease RF interference. These will not cause a lack of performance but will cause excessive radio interference. Sounds like you found the problem inside of the motor though.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:11 AM
Advance member

Trader Rating: (0)
Send a message via AIM to imstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX9RBART View Post
the burnt brown something was one of the noise suppression capacitors which decrease RF interference. These will not cause a lack of performance but will cause excessive radio interference.
Willing to bet dollars for doughnuts that's why it was stuttering all the time too. Wish I knew years ago what I knew now. Might just got buy another spin brush and swap magnets. I know I wont get the same performance as a SO3 or 4, but it will be a cheap alternative for now while I make other arrangements.

16.8 in the quarter mile isn't fast.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:24 AM
XMS Administrator

Trader Rating: (5)

and like supershelby said above the problem inside is probably a burnt brush. Unless I misunderstood the motor you have already has the SB magnets correct? If so just change the endbell and armature.