Go Back   XmodSource.com > Mini & Micro > Mini & Micro Appearance
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2010, 02:53 AM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (1)
Default A tale of 3 NSX's

I have always run an 05 NSX lid on my MR02, and another member in my club did as well.
One day during a race my transponder shorted out for some reason and got hot and started smoking. By the time I could unplug it my window, and chassis stared to melt. The chassis wasn't too bad but my window looked pretty bad and this always bothered me. I wanted to buy my friends NSX for the window but he didn't want to sell.

Anyways, fast forward about a year. My friend was selling some miniZ related items. Among those items was a white, unpainted 07 NSX, so I decided to buy it.
He then offered to throw in his old 05 NSX for an extra $10, so I took it.

So I figured I'd use the green NSX window for the yellow one but, I couldn't get the melted one off of my old yellow. So I figure I'll give the old yellow NSX a little touch up, and spice up the paint scheme some. I have an Idea of what I want to do, but the main color will stay yellow.

The green body was painted with water based paint, so it will be pretty easy to strip the paint. I also want some yellow in the paint scheme since I'll also be using this body to race, and all my race lids are yellow.

I haven't figured out what to do with the 07 NSX yet, that one might stay a shelf body so I want to paint it up nice.
..........................So first I'll be starting with the green one, it shall be green no more.(I still have some green spots on the yellow one left from some friendly bumping on the track )

Toyota, Moving Forward. Even if you push the breaks.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:36 AM
Advance member

Trader Rating: (0)

Good luck with this.

It's always good to start watching progress from day one. Can't wait to see how it turns out.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:41 AM
Elite member

Thanks.
The best part of this is that I get 3 chances to get this right.

I'm starting off with the green body. It's in pretty good shape for a body that was raced hard and has quite a bit of mileage on it. The only thing really wrong with it is the body was used for a 98mm wheel base, so the rear wheel wells are elongated a bit to compensate for the longer base.
I'm running a 94mm car but I can live with that flaw, plus I'm going to race and practice with the body so it doesn't have to be perfect.

I used some Isopropyl alcohol to strip most of the paint off and did a little sanding and scuffing to prepare for the first coat of paint.

There's still a bit of green but it's not enough to worry about and will soon be covered with new paint.
I'm still not sure how I want to paint it yet, so I'm open to suggestions.
I'd like to have some yellow in the scheme but that's not completely necessary. I'd paint it any color but green(the guy I got this from likes to run green, so I'd rather avoid the confusion )

Old 03-05-2010, 02:41 AM
Advance member

Trader Rating: (3)

Just playing around with ideas in photoshop, but what about a paint scheme like this? The gray is supposed to be black, but could be any color really.

Old 03-05-2010, 02:48 AM
Elite member

I like it, I might just paint my other yellow one like this. It wouldn't take to much work to do either, since it's already yellow.
Thanks.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:36 PM
Elite member

I did a quick, simple paint job on the NSX that used to be green.
Here's a little teaser pic for now(I'm going to do a bit more to it still)................

It didn't come out perfect but I'm going to run this body, plus the rear wells were widened to run 98mm so it's not going to look perfect anyways.

I'll get more pics of it soon.

The 07 NSX will be a little fancier than this one since it will sit on the shelf.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:55 PM
Elite member

Wow dude, paint looks awesome. Love the color scheme.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:03 PM
Elite member

Thanks, I figured since I don't currently have a red body, this would be a good color choice.