Go Back   XmodSource.com > Xmods > The XMS Repair and Modification Manual > Tutorial Submission
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2011, 07:48 PM
Drift maniac

Trader Rating: (7)
Default "Counter-Steer" Drift mod

NOTE: This is kinda old haha just copied and pasted, added a bit to the bottom today as I forgot to mention GPM diffs. Fixed the video from not working too.

Man I miss my Xmod-T though!!! Don't know if selling a ton of stuff to buy a MA-010 was a good idea anymore hehe

Ok i have just discovered this with the help of LancerEvo and I thought i'd give it a try and it worked! well this tut is extremely simple and i dont know if this even counts as a tut. I will get a video up of my car drifting soon enough.

Difficulty: 1/10 (it is very easy)

Tools you will need:

-RS screwdriver (or the one you use to work on your xmods)

-Your Gen 1/Evo car with an AWD upgrade (preferably Gen 1 as it works much better)

-Plastic Drift Tires (Narrow preferably but the RS drift tires will work)

*Optional: XI Gen1 adjustable Strut Bars (to adjust rear camber only, no need for the front ones even though they come with both)

**Hobby grade Electronics (depends on the Car chassis, micro-x mod for gen 1 and X-waver/Z-mod for Evo)

Step 1. With your car assembled with AWD and no locked differentials, remove the rear assembly.

*For EVO cars you only need to remove the 2 rear screws to get to the Rear Differential.

*For Gen 1 cars you need to remove the rear deck and then remove the 4 screws on the under side of the rear assembly (the black square-ish thing) so the rear diff and arms can come out.

Step 2. Lock the rear differential, it may be easier depending on which car you are using.

*For EVO cars its kind of hard but you may be able to open your differential by pushing the pin on the right side of the diff. to pop it open and get to the inside gears. Other wise, you can super glue it or buy a Locked Rear diff. From XI. As long as it is locked and won't slip. When your done, put it back together like normal.

*For Gen 1 cars it is much easier and you need to only open up the Rear Diff by removing 3 screws and using Tissue Paper/Glue/ or something that can be easily removed (i used tissue paper).

Put as much as you need to so the gears can no longer move and then proceed to put the diff and rear assembly together back to normal.

Step 3. Now is the time if you have a Gen 1 to use the rear strut bars to adjust the camber. You only need a slight tilt on the rear wheels. Im not sure what degree but a slight tilt is good enough.

You can barely even notice it but that is good enough.

***For EVO cars it is a bit more complicated and i dont know how to adjust the camber without adjusting it permanently so you do not need to for EVO cars.

Step 4. Install your drift tires and have fun drifting! it will be very hard if you do not have hobby grade electronics though. It may have to take some getting use to for a normal Xmod but hobby grade cars will have no problem.

I will have more pictures up on a later day and a video of how this works. 8-28-09 which is right here

I dont want to get in trouble by using a different video on youtube to show what a countersteer mod is but search on youtube "yokomo countersteer mod" and you'll see how realistic this mod makes drifting.

Happy drifting, thanks for looking!

EDIT: Pictures Added,video coming soon.
8-28-09 EDIT: added the video

1/11/2011 UPDATE/EDIT:

Also, an addition for EVO cars that was brought up. Completely for got to mention that EVO cars can upgrade to GPM differentials. The front diff can be loosened and adjusted to be a bit looser because its not as loose as the Gen 1 stock diff. If you loosen it up to a certain point where it still drives the front wheels slightly, you will achieve much greater oversteer with this setup.

Team X.I.