Go Back   XmodSource.com > Miscellaneous > Miscellaneous RC's > General 1/10 scale
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2010, 09:29 PM
All 6's and 7's

Trader Rating: (8)
Send a message via MSN to bondo
Default gonna need a bigger garage...

i've been talking about jumping scales for a couple years now and finally got serious about it this year....now my only problem is i'm finding that i'm addicted..

i broke down and bought a slash awhile ago(pics soon),went through two titans within a month both water broke in,said fock it and bought a trinity speed gem 19t.
ZOOM!!!.........or so i thought....
a week later i get offered a 2.5 Revo for $100 :cry2: :gun3: then :cry2: some more!!
i talked my freind scot into buying the Revo and letting me take care of it since he knows jack about mechanicals
we've been burnin' that ***** up solid for a week now,an E-Z start,a glow plug and a spur gear have ate it.

don't let the crappy pics fool ya, that shell is thrashed in all the wrong places.
so, out of boredome and instead of watching paint dry,i stripped the old paint off with some acetone and shot the underside with black,shot the topside with dupli-color adhesion promoter,base black and added some tiger stripes.

now it's a GRR..Revo
this truck was bought about two years ago by a 15 yr old and was his first R/C ever wich IMO is a bit of overkill for an immature novice.
i'd say i'm pretty proficient when it comes to R/C and understanding internal combustion and it's expensive and labor intensive even for me,luckily for me,i'm getting reimbursed for the monees put into the Revo.
when i got it from the kid he told me very little about it,basically he told me that it's been sitting for almost two years because he ran it straight out of the box and thought he fouled the glow plug.
looking at it and first impression was that he read enough of the manual to get it cranked,filled it and ran it full bore without the shell because the head was pretty banged up and after that he must've thrown the shell into a low powered wood chipper because that thing barely hangs on.
now,for what it's worth, my last experience with nitro was about 15 years ago when my dad had an old nameless clone that we used to tool around the backyard,regardless,i got this piece up and running like a champ the next day.
now the only problem is i gotta buy another nitro so i can keep driving when my slash dies...
i'm like a 5 year old in front of a petshop window when mines dead and scots still pulling 10' vertical air....plus the nitro is such a beast....

i also picked up a stampede for a steal.
this one is going to my son for his B-day.
hopefully it'll teach him a bit of resposibility and give him something to have fun with at the same time.

i got just about everything i need to get it up and running,just need the gear cover and to put in the work to get it together.

well,i've got(what's turning out to be) nightly fixin's.
gotta solder two arials on,re-wire/clip two batts and chargers,nilla rig a shell to stay on,fashion a makeshift set screw for a pinion gear,clean air filters,break-in/lube a motor,clean/lube another motor,and charge a fook ton of baterries.....

cheers,
Old 08-29-2010, 01:33 PM
ROTFLSHMSFOAIDMT

Trader Rating: (24)
Send a message via AIM to TheB1GDude Send a message via MSN to TheB1GDude

Congrats dude! Glad to see you and your son finally made it into the 1/10 scale!

Both look like sweet scores and should rock once all fixed up.

Duct Tape is like the force:- it has a light side and a dark side and it binds the universe together.....
Old 08-29-2010, 01:52 PM
XMS Administrator

Trader Rating: (5)

A little trick to make the EZ start last longer and work properly is to drill a small hole in the cover where the one way bearing is. When it starts acting up, spray some carb cleaner or electrical cleaner in that hole (using the straw). They will eventually get to the point where it will sound like it is turning over when in fact it is just bouncing the crank back and forth due to slipping and a little spray will make it work properly again.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:39 PM
All 6's and 7's

Trader Rating: (8)
Send a message via MSN to bondo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheB1GDude View Post
Congrats dude! Glad to see you and your son finally made it into the 1/10 scale!

Both look like sweet scores and should rock once all fixed up.
thanks man,the revo already rocks,i just need to start buying all the stuff that goes along with running/maintaining a nitro truck.
i've got most of the stuff needed for running and upkeep in multiples so far but there's a few things that were supposed to be on the truck but apperantly were never put on.
i could also use a proper set of tools to work on these. i put together a tool box filled with full size tools and the crappy wrenches that came with my slash.
i tore the revo down the other night for a good cleaning and my fingers were RAW afterwards from trying to fit my big stupid fingers in places they probably shouldn't be, trying to turn hex keys that are too short for the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BART View Post
A little trick to make the EZ start last longer and work properly is to drill a small hole in the cover where the one way bearing is. When it starts acting up, spray some carb cleaner or electrical cleaner in that hole (using the straw). They will eventually get to the point where it will sound like it is turning over when in fact it is just bouncing the crank back and forth due to slipping and a little spray will make it work properly again.
i read about that trick and thanks for the advice but the EZ start wand that came with the revo was pretty mangled.
the case was broken in a few spots,wires were pulled out of the plug and the switch casing was broken wich meant that the circuit board popped out of the case at will.
i had it partially fixed and the motor light would light up but i could'nt get the plug wire to light up. i even tried two fresh plugs and got nothing so i scrapped it.
the only thing left from the original wand now is the battery. i bought an old(er) school EZ-start that straps to the battery and it works like a charm other then the fact that the battery hardly holds a charge...

you wouldnt happen to know of a way to loosen the grip on the EZ start plug would ya'? it holds on a bit too well to be trying to pull off with fingers covered in filter oil.

i finally got some pics of the slash uploaded.
this lil' bastit has been a ton of fun and tough as nails.
i love the way the shell turns into a parasail when you hit the lumps at the right angle.
me and scot hit about the same air but his revo falls like a brick and mine kinda floats on down to a nice soft landing..

once i get all the crap i need to run and maintain em i'm going to be buying and painting new shells for all three.
max's 'pede still needs a few things and his B-day isn't for 3 more weeks so i think i might start painting on his chassis for the eventual paint scheme.
stay tuned.
cheers,
Old 08-30-2010, 01:09 PM
XMS Administrator

Trader Rating: (5)

Not entirely sure what you mean by the plug holding on too tight. I would definitely get a stand alone glow plug igniter and disconnect the blue wire from the head, that stops the poor battery from trying to heat the plug and spin the motor at the same time. They are pretty cheap and a "must have" investment.