Go Back   XmodSource.com > Xmods > XMOD Electronics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Old 02-11-2009, 06:17 AM
Mini-Z Drifter

Trader Rating: (8)
Exclamation Fried some FETs on my Xmod

I found some spare eps in the back of my closet and decided to try and get them running since my old ep died. They needed a lot of soldering work. I'm talking about just about every single wire need to be soldered. The servo to the main board and the receiver board to the main board.

My problem was this....

After getting them put back together I hooked the battery up to them (Lithium-Ion of course). The servo worked fine and the receiver worked fine. I hooked up the battery and it went in drive and reverse just fine. Then I hooked up a set of custom lights (I soldered another set of lights to give them 4 headlights and 4 taillights). One set worked fine, but the headlights would not go out. I thought maybe that had to do with the solder job that I did on the lights. I had another set (same setup, but different style. It was the bigger light board from the original Xmod series) so I installed them. They worked as they were suppose to. I gave it gas and the headlights got brighter as they should, but then I put it in reverse and one of the fets fried. It wouldn't go into reverse anymore....

So then I had to de-solder the server and went to work on the other ep I had. I couldn't solder the light connector to the main board, so I decided to just forget about the lights. I soldered it back together and hooked up the battery and motor. I gave it gas and put it in reverse. It worked just fine. I thought I finally brought my Skyline back to health.....I was wrong. After I put everything back together (switchblade chassis, metal bearings, awd....etc) I hooked up the battery and gave it gas....perfect, works fine. Then I put it in reverse and wouldn't you know it.....the fet fried.

Now my conclusion is that I probably didn't do a good job soldering something (the tip on my solder gun is getting a little dull). But I'm not sure. Anyone have any insight into what my problem might be? Could it be that the lights were drawing too much current and fried an fet (first scenario)? What went wrong with the second time? Maybe a connection was touching the chassis? I'll be taking it apart after work today.

Thanks for your time, and sorry about the long post. I'm just concerned because I'm gonna be getting another ep and probably a V2 board and do not want to fry those.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:49 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineLvr View Post
I found some spare eps in the back of my closet and decided to try and get them running since my old ep died. They needed a lot of soldering work. I'm talking about just about every single wire need to be soldered. The servo to the main board and the receiver board to the main board.

My problem was this....

After getting them put back together I hooked the battery up to them (Lithium-Ion of course). The servo worked fine and the receiver worked fine. I hooked up the battery and it went in drive and reverse just fine. Then I hooked up a set of custom lights (I soldered another set of lights to give them 4 headlights and 4 taillights). One set worked fine, but the headlights would not go out. I thought maybe that had to do with the solder job that I did on the lights. I had another set (same setup, but different style. It was the bigger light board from the original Xmod series) so I installed them. They worked as they were suppose to. I gave it gas and the headlights got brighter as they should, but then I put it in reverse and one of the fets fried. It wouldn't go into reverse anymore....

So then I had to de-solder the server and went to work on the other ep I had. I couldn't solder the light connector to the main board, so I decided to just forget about the lights. I soldered it back together and hooked up the battery and motor. I gave it gas and put it in reverse. It worked just fine. I thought I finally brought my Skyline back to health.....I was wrong. After I put everything back together (switchblade chassis, metal bearings, awd....etc) I hooked up the battery and gave it gas....perfect, works fine. Then I put it in reverse and wouldn't you know it.....the fet fried.

Now my conclusion is that I probably didn't do a good job soldering something (the tip on my solder gun is getting a little dull). But I'm not sure. Anyone have any insight into what my problem might be? Could it be that the lights were drawing too much current and fried an fet (first scenario)? What went wrong with the second time? Maybe a connection was touching the chassis? I'll be taking it apart after work today.

Thanks for your time, and sorry about the long post. I'm just concerned because I'm gonna be getting another ep and probably a V2 board and do not want to fry those.
Its not the lights, they pull such little current that its practically insignificant.

If you need FET work drop me a line. I've been doing them for awhile.