Go Back   XmodSource.com > Miscellaneous > Real Cars: Full scale
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Old 08-12-2008, 11:52 PM
Advance member

Trader Rating: (1)
Send a message via MSN to F-100CuStOmCaB
Default '58 Ford F-100CustomCab

This is my '58 Ford F-100. I just thought of maybe posting some pics of it right now. I'm in the process of striping it down completely so I can put some undercoating on my chassis.

By the way just wondering if anyone would have any suggestions towards any high quality undercoating. I want somthing that will last for many many years. Was thinking about "Rust Doctor" or "POR-15".

After putting undercoating on I will be done with the chassis then on to body work which will be much worse. The front body mounts arn't even holding the body up all bondo. Surprised the back ones are still holding it up.

The motor is all rebuilt not original though, the believed original had a hairline crack in it. The rebuilt is a 1954 239cid V8 bored over .040. The motor originally came out of a 1954 Ford Crestliner. The original was a 272 V8. We thought that this 239 was a 292 V8. My transmission is all rebuilt, chassis has all round new brakes, pads, cylinders, lines, master cylinder. The rear springs were fixed need to do the front ones yet. Have new rear shocks need front ones. I bought new plug wires, distributer cap, rotor, need new plugs old ones were burning a lot of oil LOL thats why I rebuilt the motor. Lets just say about $3,500 and still doesn't look much different as of right now.

these are from when I first got it.

older pic but pretty much what it looked like just this last weekend.

pic of the motor from when I got the truck

pic of the motor when I got the truck going (be4 rebuild)

pics of the 239cid V8 after rebuild ready to go in my truck.

and a few pics of what I've done since Sunday.

Will get more pics soon

New to me, then used by me, now NEW again, Weird!!
Old 08-12-2008, 11:57 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25

JUST REVEALED, FORD'S NEW COMPACT PICKUP.

Go with POR15, most the guys I've talked to have sworn buy the stuff, and many of the builders on 67-72chevytrucks love it like mad.

Gotta love classics... Got full drums?

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 08-13-2008, 12:03 AM
Bored...

Trader Rating: (7)

even though im a Chevy man, i love to see an old truck with a bright future!!!
Old 08-13-2008, 12:07 AM
Advance member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan_idiot25 View Post

JUST REVEALED, FORD'S NEW COMPACT PICKUP.

Go with POR15, most the guys I've talked to have sworn buy the stuff, and many of the builders on 67-72chevytrucks love it like mad.

Gotta love classics... Got full drums?
Yea I know first thing I thought to thought about putting the hood on it and seeing if anyone would notice when we had a family get together on sunday LOL.

OK then POR-15 sound good to me but would you know if you could spray it out of a spray gun at all?

Oh yea I drove it for about 6 months power nothing just awsome!!!! yep drums all round don't think I will switch them to disc's either just cuz I don't want to not cuz $$$ and the work. For me $$ isn't really an object I want it to look really nice when done. My dad keeps saying "oh we can conjure somthing up for that", "oh we can make that", "don't need to buy that" ect...LOL I tell him I don't care about buying somthing I just want it to look nice. While I have it apart might as well make it look and do it right.

Old 08-13-2008, 12:17 AM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

I think for my truck (the 69 CST10), the Disk brake kit was roughly 500-600 bucks for everingthing including disks calipers steering knuckles (and drop knuckles), and all the other bits and pieces. Stopping powah! Used either Camaro or Impala brakes.

As my friend tells me, emergency stopping with drums involves a hard stomp on the brake and a prayer to God.

Just no bondo and fiberglass to hide rust. That's hell down the road.

I'm not sure it can be sprayed, I'd email/call POR and see.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 08-13-2008, 12:22 AM
Back from the bodyshop

Quote:
As my friend tells me, emergency stopping with drums involves a hard stomp on the brake and a prayer to God.
Thats a pretty acurate about disc brakes espeacially in the rain.And its even worse when one of the brakes works better than the other in the front because then on hard stops it starts to pull the car in that direction. Should be a pretty good project and should look really good when finished and thats a dramatic improvement in just the paint on the engine i like it alot.

http://www.nickgrant.co.uk/londontobrighton/013.gif
./_ _ _ ___ __\.
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
Old 08-13-2008, 12:26 AM
Advance member

Quote:
I think for my truck (the 69 CST10), the Disk brake kit was roughly 500-600 bucks for everingthing including disks calipers steering knuckles (and drop knuckles), and all the other bits and pieces. Stopping powah! Used either Camaro or Impala brakes.

Just no bondo and fiberglass to hide rust. That's hell down the road.

I'm not sure it can be sprayed, I'd email/call POR and see.
Oh yea you really have to push down the brakes just to slow down takes some getting used to. And yea if I recall I think the caliper kit for mine was between $500-1000. Oh I'm NOT!!! using bondo. Wouldn't work anyways holes are to big, plus someone already pured lots of bondo in the floor pans already. Hopefully next summer I will buy a stick feed welder and do as much body work as I can. Some things prolly have done professionally. Bondo doesn't last that long either.

Old 08-13-2008, 12:28 AM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by supraboi97 View Post
Thats a pretty acurate about disc brakes espeacially in the rain.And its even worse when one of the brakes works better than the other in the front because then on hard stops it starts to pull the car in that direction. Should be a pretty good project and should look really good when finished and thats a dramatic improvement in just the paint on the engine i like it alot.
That must be why all modern cars now use disk brakes?

Drums are far more imprecise then disks. Their more prone to funny braking actions. And are far more prone to locking up under hard braking. Disk brakes can brake much harder with out locking.

An old joke goes "Drum Brakes: Because being able to reliably stop you car is for sissies".

Quote:
Oh I'm NOT!!! using bondo. Wouldn't work anyways holes are to big, plus someone already pured lots of bondo in the floor pans already. Hopefully next summer I will buy a stick feed welder and do as much body work as I can. Some things prolly have done professionally. Bondo doesn't last that long either.
Thank you jeebus! It's hell on my truck to deal with the bondo'd rocker panels and other bits.

Last edited by texan_idiot25; 08-13-2008 at 12:32 AM..
Old 08-13-2008, 11:10 AM
Forum Idiot

Trader Rating: (3)
Send a message via AIM to Sweed Send a message via Yahoo to Sweed

Quote:
Lol. I think I would have to agree with that..
"Save us, oh lord, from the wrath of the Norsemen"
Old 08-24-2008, 11:34 PM
Advance member

I know it has been a while but here are some more pics of what I have done to my truck.

This was as of last Sunday!!

This is it as of yesterday and today!!!!!!!!!!!
Put all the parts on our trailer for easier transportation and get them out of the way for the time being. I ordered my POR-15 hopfully it will be here by next weekend, they said it should be here in 3 business days.

Today I took off all the brake lines and a few other odds and ends things.

Just so your not confused this pic is rotated 90 clockwise. It is of a hole in my frame rail which scares me but is the only spot on the frame that looks threatening.

heres another pic. I found out about it more than a year ago now, actually kind of forgot it till last weekend. My dad wants to cut off the rivets and bolt a piece of steel on the back side of the frame. I'm not to sure about it though.

Old 08-25-2008, 04:06 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Don't skimp out on the frame! That, and do it before you POR15 the whole thing so you don't have to deal with it later and have to remove the POR15 on down the road.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:53 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (13)

Now is the time to do an independent front suspension, lower that beast, do a 4 link in the rear.. man that truck could be made into one sweet ride.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:40 AM
Advance member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ling427ttvette View Post
Now is the time to do an independent front suspension, lower that beast, do a 4 link in the rear.. man that truck could be made into one sweet ride.
I kind of want to keep this truck as close to original as I can so my dad and I can go cruzing around in our trucks. His is a '55 Ford F-100 nothing special but some after market rims and tires and a set of headers. The set of headers is the only thing right now that I am considering on getting after market. I am not even going to put in a new radio, I just bought an original radio for my truck to put in the hole in my dash at an Iola car show that I just went to a few months ago. I am now thinking about getting original hub caps that my truck would of come with.

Quote:
Don't skimp out on the frame! That, and do it before you POR15 the whole thing so you don't have to deal with it later and have to remove the POR15 on down the road.
Yea I want to try to fix it before I put the undercoating on it but it's just about fixing that hole. I don't want it to look like a quick fix and then down the road turn into somthing serious. I would rather take it to a professional than have bigger problems down the road.

About the front suspension, I am going to have to take my front suspension apart tonight so I can take my leaf springs to have them fixed. On the drivers side there is one that is busted, passengers side doesn't look like theres one broken. Hopefully have them done by the weekend. I already had the back springs fixed, when I got my truck it sat crooked because there were so many leafs broken in the back.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:27 PM
Advance member

Well I have an update!!

Last night I took both front leaf springs off and took them to be fixed this morning. Didn't get a chance to take pics last night because when I finished it was dark so took them today. It wasn't hard getting the nuts and bolts off the thing it was the stupid rubber bushing that caused all the trouble. So here are some pics for ya

Old 08-28-2008, 12:24 AM
Monte Carlo owner!!!

Trader Rating: (9)
Send a message via AIM to snowboi1289 Send a message via Yahoo to snowboi1289

That just shows you how easy it is to take off some old truck bodies.

It looks like its going ot be a pain in the a** with the rust.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:01 AM
Advance member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowboi1289 View Post
That just shows you how easy it is to take off some old truck bodies.

It looks like its going ot be a pain in the a** with the rust.
Took us probably 10-15 minutes to lift it up role out the chassis and role the trailer under it. The skid loaders made the job even simpler which was nice. Definately the cab floors are the rustiest thing on the whole truck they are really bad. Would probably be easier to cut out the whole floor pan and lay in all new steel. The box is really clean just the bed is bad but I want to lay down wood for that anyways. And the front fenders it's just the very bottom which isn't to bad. Thats about all you can find here in Minnesota though which sucks.

Old 10-11-2008, 10:44 PM
Advance member

Well it has been a while since last update because computer crashed just got it back a few days ago (been like 6 weeks).

This is what I have done to it in the last month month and 1/2. I recieved my POR-15, fixed my springs, had the hole in the frame fixed by someone who knew what they were doing, sandblasted a lot of stuff, applied my undercoating. I am still applying it because there are so many little touch ups, but I am just about done. Hoping on finishing tomarrow but who knows I have some pics but keep in mind these are older pics didn't get a chance to update will have up to date pics tomarrow.

Heres the hole fixed.

The guy put a plate of steel on the back side of the frame for more reinforcement, did it to both sides.

Here's where the hole was now painted.

I'll get much better pics tomarrow. L KS SPECTACULAR though doesn't it.

Old 10-11-2008, 11:02 PM
auto body tech

Trader Rating: (14)
Send a message via Yahoo to spitfire

omg, yes it does,
i love old trucks, so easy to take apart.
now i finily figured out what was in your avitar photo(the photo next to your name)
Old 10-11-2008, 11:48 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (0)

wat is your plan on paint job going to be when your done with everything
Old 10-13-2008, 01:00 AM
Advance member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDUDE View Post
wat is your plan on paint job going to be when your done with everything
I am planing on doing the same paint sceme, blue and white two tone. I have seen a lot of this model Ford painted all one color and it just isn't all that thrilling to me just too much of one color. The blue I would use would be darker of course.

Here are more pics:

I had to take the front springs off because they were on the wrong sides. Couldn't believe that they each have different sized bushings so they relate to just one side. The rear spring mounts hole is the same size as the hole through the bushing. So the springs with the bigger bushing won't be able to go on the side with the smaller mount hole, need a bigger bolt so there isn't play in the bushing.