Go Back   XmodSource.com > Xmods > XMOD Modification
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2015, 03:11 PM
Advance member

Trader Rating: (2)
Default Need a tutorial on Changing a gen 1 pinion gear

Hey everyone!

Hope someone can rise from the ashes here and direct me some help!

I got a gen 1 stage 2 motor upgrade. and as we know it comes with 4. I wanted to use one for my gen 1 chassis, and the other 3 on evo. problem is. I have no idea how to remove the metal pinion gears from the Gen 1 motors! other than that.. soldering the wires is no prob. I can man handle it im sure, but I dont want to ruin the motor.

please help! thanks!!
Old 10-16-2015, 09:32 PM
XMS Administrator

Trader Rating: (5)

I would be almost certain it is pressed on. I see you're in Ohio where slot car racing is still sort of a thing so best bet would be to find a slot car track and see if anyone there has a pinion puller you can use. I can't remember exactly how they are put on (and can't find my X mods right now to look,,, new house and can't seem to find anything).
Old 10-16-2015, 09:34 PM
XMS Administrator

Trader Rating: (5)

Update..... Just found my sons gen 1 skyline and the brass pinion is definitely pressed on. Found my EVO as well and the pinion is under a cover as the motor in it sits sideways. I would assume it's the same though. Slot car pinion puller is my best answer.
Old 10-22-2015, 03:30 AM
Stage 2 member

Trader Rating: (0)

Evo pinion is plastic and presses on by hand. Gen1 requires a puller. They were all over eBay back in the day, can't imagine they're too different from slot car pullers though. Don't bother trying to tap it out with a hammer--tried it once, no worky.

If you don't need to save the pinion, you could just mash the pinion in a vise until it breaks apart. The pinion's brass, the shaft is steel.
Old 10-22-2015, 10:39 AM
Advance member

Trader Rating: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BART View Post
Update..... Just found my sons gen 1 skyline and the brass pinion is definitely pressed on. Found my EVO as well and the pinion is under a cover as the motor in it sits sideways. I would assume it's the same though. Slot car pinion puller is my best answer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwinfish View Post
Evo pinion is plastic and presses on by hand. Gen1 requires a puller. They were all over eBay back in the day, can't imagine they're too different from slot car pullers though. Don't bother trying to tap it out with a hammer--tried it once, no worky.

If you don't need to save the pinion, you could just mash the pinion in a vise until it breaks apart. The pinion's brass, the shaft is steel.

Thanks Guys! I just ordered a pinion Puller from ebay. First I watched a tutorial on youtube about how to use it. once it arrives... We'll see how it goes!

thanks again!