Go Back   XmodSource.com > Xmods > The XMS Repair and Modification Manual > XMOD Chassis/Suspension Tutorials
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2008, 02:32 AM
Xmod Expert

Trader Rating: (0)
Default Adjustable Shock's

We will be building adjustable shock for our Gen 1 cars today... These shocks will allow you to tune the handling for your car very precisely, especially with use in conjunction with the RS suspension upgrade.

What you need:

-One long xmods screw for every shock you plan on doing (If you dont not have one unscrew your antenna and take that one, replace it with a small one and it should work fine... )
-One seperate complete shock assembly for each shock you plan on doing (Male end, Female end, and a spring)
-Your also going to need 4 of those 2/56 hex nuts from RS that people use as steel lug nuts (Theoretically any matching nut and screw should work but because this particular nut and screw is readily available for xmods modifications it is easiest to use).
-CA glue or some sort of hot glue gun or super glue.
-Something to bore out the female end of your shock (drill bit of the right size as long as you have a clamp works awesome...)

(Ok so the method above does work; however, you may want to use an even longer screw, for this I recommend taking the screws out of the front chassis cover)

This is the best screw to use:

It is the screw off of the front chassis plate.

Also before you start i should warn you that if you screw up your shock assembly and it is your only one you are tuff out of luck...have extras as most of us probably do...(this isn't xmodsrc.com, we all have more than one car and plenty of parts dont we?)

Ok the basic idea of this modification is to create a shock like works like that of a bicycles back shock assembly...

1. Take apart your shock.

2. Drill out the female end of your shock, so that the long screw will fit into it and it will slide out freely.

(stock is on right, drilled out end is on left.)

3. Cut the part of the male end that used to go into the female end.

4. now you have three options here:
Subsection 1: Glue the long screw right onto the male end:

Subsection 2: Cut that second divet off your shock and glue the screw onto that. (warning this may ruin the structural integrity of the shock):

Subsection 3: Cut the end of the screw off and then glue that onto the male end of the shock. (warning this may not be enough surface area to glue the screw to the shock):

I recommend the first way...

5. Once your glue is dry you should make sure your nut screws freely in and out of the screw, i guess because of the size of these nuts the threads are inaccurately cut nonetheless because of their shallow threads they should be able to be twisted to match the thread of the screw...

6. Cut a bit of the end of your female end off. This is to allow the shock to have maximum travel if you want to add another spring into the shock or if you want to tighten your nut a lot.

(Stock is on bottom, modified is on top. DO NOT CUT YOURS AS MUCH AS MINE IS CUT. Cut it a little less.)

7. Screw the nut all the way into the screw, and reassemble the shock as normal.

Now you can tighten the nut to stiffen up your suspension or loosen them to sotfen it up.

TIPS:

-I suggest taking a credit card and cutting it in a circle with diameter just slightly bigger then the spring, and then cutting a hole in its middle to allow for it to slip onto the new shock assembly and rest up against the nut. This will give a bigger surface area for the spring to rest against (so it cant get lodged in some manner during a race), and it also gives a flat surface for the spring to rest against (more accuracy).

If I see this on any other sites, unless I say yes, or in another form I will flip out. DO NOT POST THIS ANYWHERE ELSE WITHOUT MY PERMITION

Last edited by meme405; 06-14-2011 at 09:51 PM..
Old 03-23-2008, 11:56 AM
Rethink It All

Trader Rating: (8)
Send a message via AIM to RedSXmodder Send a message via MSN to RedSXmodder

I'm gonna have to try this. Lets see some pics first, though!

Later,
RedSXmodder

Team Redmade Motors- Building Motors that rise above the rest!

Rethink It All
Old 03-23-2008, 01:31 PM
Xmod Expert

Yeah i was lokking at the old thread on XMF and i just thought of you...

I have my camera back so I'll do another shock and upload the pics later today hopefully...

There are a couple big downfalls that you might have to overcome, one being the amount this changes the camber, the stiffer you make the spiring the more toe in you get. Thats why i was wondering about XI's adjustable strut bars. (here: http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/show...=1#post151578), however that part in itself has some downfalls...

Another downfall is that you need to trim the female head more than i thought to allow enough travel, when you tighten the shock up. This means that when you loosen it up the female head does become a bit loose.

Give me some time and ill do the rest of the shocks, upload my pics. Then i will add a section on other ways of tuning the shocks and your suspension system so that you can get the most out of the adjustable shocks...
Old 03-23-2008, 01:36 PM
That's what she said.

Trader Rating: (1)

Omigwarf, lyke, u didnt finishe... (Just kidding meme...)
Is this for the Gen 1 or the Evo? I didn't see what it is for...
Old 03-23-2008, 02:02 PM
Xmod Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinesekid05 View Post
Omigwarf, lyke, u didnt finishe... (Just kidding meme...)
Is this for the Gen 1 or the Evo? I didn't see what it is for...
, JK...

I am doing it on a gen 1 however concept is the same on an evo, although it may change, because of spacing and such. I do not have an evo so that i can test on right now but if any of you can tell me if it works as is, or if not something that could make it work...or even some pictures of why not so i could find a way...
Old 03-23-2008, 02:23 PM
Stage 2 member

i would like to know to cause then i could do my evo chasis
Old 03-25-2008, 12:41 PM
Stage 2 member

this tutorial looks pretty good... If anyone wants to do it with a truck chassis get 2-56 machine screws at radio shack and cut the screws to the right length
Old 05-14-2008, 10:19 PM
Xmod Expert

Just posted pics, more coming soon. Well on its way to completion...
Old 05-15-2008, 11:32 AM
washed-up, retired, cool.

Trader Rating: (1)

Wow, really cool idea. Someone should try this with the RS upgrade shocks or GPM shocks.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:54 PM
Xmod Expert

The easier way to do it is actually exactly that. Thread a male GPM shock. and get a fitting nut...