Go Back   XmodSource.com > Competitions > XMS Competitions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2014, 01:25 PM
Stage 2 member

Trader Rating: (0)
Default Newbs999's Build 14-15

Hobby Grade on a Budget
Hey Guys,
So, I'm heading in a different direction and gonna complete my hobby-grade conversion project. The plan was for it to be going under my yellow Skyline, but now I'm going to have my 350z body on it(i'll tell you why later). Without further to do, here we go...

Product list:

RV Project AM 27MHz Micro Fine-Tun Esc Unit (4WD)
http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/in...oducts_id=2218
------> $25

TA 27mhz Blazer Sport Radio--------> $15

Radioshack 3.3kohm resistors--------> $1.50

Lets see if we can make it work!

How it started life...

First there was the HS-55...

But I couldn't figure out how to make it work...So I had to wire it up to the stock servo for ease of install

I tried using this radio, which I had, but the internals didn't want to work with the internals on the board, so I had to get that TA radio at the chance it might work...oh, and It was used too b/c the new ones didn't come with a crystal holder or the antennae...

I then realized that the skyline body would not work...

Solution...

Disassembled...

That's all for now...
Hope you like it! :bump:
-Newbs99
Old 12-23-2014, 12:45 PM
Stage 2 member

Update: So all y'all know about those tiny motors in the gen 1 servos, well, i pulled the wires out of mine on accident and am currently searching for some kind of cheap toothbrush or some kind of vibrating device for that little pesky motor. Just an update...
Thanks for looking
Old 02-20-2015, 02:04 PM
Stage 2 member

Still crack'n at this but haven't had any time to lately. So, I switching back to the hs-55 from the stock gen 1 servo as the new pcb doesn't like to match with it too well and it just won't work right, even with resistors on each side of the potentiometer. BUT, the hs-55 works seemlessly. Now, my only problem is how to secure the servo in the gen 1 chassis and get it too move the tie-rod efficiently. Any suggestions would be great!!!! Thanks
Newbs99
Old 04-05-2015, 10:43 PM
Stage 2 member

UPDATE: So, it turns out that 7.4v is probably too much for this board so I'm going to rewire it back to the standard 6v setup and then see what happens...Thanks for hanging on...
Old 04-09-2015, 04:19 PM
Stage 1 member

Looks good! Just wondering, why not go Micro T board and Servo? Sometimes on ebay you can get some pretty good used ones along with the servo, the board, and the controller for pretty good price. I got mine with control, board, servo and the micro t motor for 30 bucks!
Old 04-10-2015, 10:45 PM
Stage 2 member

Thanks For the Feedback!
So, in the beginning this was supposed to be a budget build and then I figured that the LOSI board(I looked into that) would be too expensive, but as it sounds, that it probably looking like a better option now...but as I've already put some money into this setup, I'm going to try to make it work. In hindsight, the LOSI would have been the better board and setup, but at that time I couldn't find an cheap ones. So, once again, it appears as if I'm going to spend more on the 'Cheap' Setup than on the LOSI. Do you have any feedback on how well it drives and what radio did you use?
Old 04-17-2015, 09:26 PM
Stage 2 member

more to come
Old 04-22-2015, 10:38 PM
Stage 2 member

Old 07-15-2015, 12:14 PM
Stage 2 member

How have you been? You were rolling on your build. Guess with summer time coming everyone is busy with other things to do.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:15 PM
Stage 2 member

Sorry man, never saw your post. I've been doing well. That xmod project hasn't really been messed with anytime lately, but i did have it working and driving under its own power. Really should have used the Losi electronics. The only updates that I can think of as of now are my recent additions of a challenger and a black skyline.
Sadly though, it seems as if Xmods are slowly disappearing and this forum is struggling. I will still check in periodically, but not as much as i used to.
Therefore, before it is too late, I would formally like to say goodbye to all those guys who have helped and offered there ideas to my projects/posts and to all of the guys who I have pulled ideas from. I will always have a special place for Xmods and hopefully many other people do too.
Thanks Guys,
Newbs999
Old 01-22-2017, 10:38 PM
Stage 2 member

I'm back, and now with a losi board! I will post pictures sometime. I think the range is fried on the board though, so it will probably need to be replaced. It's truly amazing how much more power the losi board will put out compared to the gen 1 board on the same batteries. More to come....
Old 01-23-2017, 09:15 PM
Stage 2 member

Awesome news!!!
Old 01-25-2017, 10:57 AM
XMS Admin

Trader Rating: (35)
Send a message via MSN to zippo855 Send a message via Yahoo to zippo855

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbs999 View Post
I'm back, and now with a losi board! I will post pictures sometime. I think the range is fried on the board though, so it will probably need to be replaced. It's truly amazing how much more power the losi board will put out compared to the gen 1 board on the same batteries. More to come....
The losi board is a huge upgrade over the xmods boards, and its set up to handle the higher voltage of the lith batteries. Definitely a good addition to this car. Cant wait to see more progress

TEAM X.I.
my massive collection of xmods
http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13526
Old 01-25-2017, 09:25 PM
Stage 2 member

Alright, so here are some pictures of ho the car is sitting now. I apologize for not taking more of the wiring process, so here goes and explanation. I picked this board and servo up for pretty cheap and decided to give it a go instead of using the rv projects board which I thought was messed up(but turns out it was the radio, and yall will see it again in an upcoming build).
So, I wired the stock xmods gen 1 servo into the losi servo plug retaining the 3.3kohm resistors on the potentiometer(second pic) wires. That was the major deal and tehn I just wired the motor to the correct ports and semi-mounted the board on top of the chassis. Then, to my surprise, the civic body fit over the chassis and the board, so it has a new home now.
What I found out more than anything is that the transmitter that you choose can make or break the car. The Blazer Sport radio from above lead me to believe that the RV board was bad, but it worked perfectly when I tried it last night with a kyosho mini z 27mhz radio. I then proceeded to try it with this losi board(which I had lost almost lost hope on) and it's working AWESOME!!! ...of course except for the range issue(5-7 ft and like 2 ft with the body on), but as a drifter I am up close with the car anyway and by not hard-wiring the servo to the board, I can still swap it out if it just gets too bad.
Right now, the car has awd, stage 2, the aluminum front axle and swingshafts, and mini z drift tires on xmod rims. Take my word that it can hold an angle.

Thanks And Let Me Know What Yall Think!
Old 03-12-2017, 04:21 PM
Stage 2 member

Got some more work done on the civic. I cleaned up the wires, installed a blue stage two motor and gave it some superflex wires, and then cut an antennae off of an old gen 1 board and soldered it nicely to the losi board. Definitely works awesome and the speed checker for cars in my street picked up the car at 21mph. Next step will be full bearings... Stay tuned for more

Old 03-13-2017, 04:58 PM
Stage 2 member

Looking good!!