Go Back   XmodSource.com > Miscellaneous > Real Cars: Full scale > August 08'-09' Build Off
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Old 10-05-2008, 12:12 PM
ROTFLSHMSFOAIDMT

Trader Rating: (24)
Send a message via AIM to TheB1GDude Send a message via MSN to TheB1GDude

No he did not - I need to call back tomorrow to cancel the appointment at which point I'll ask him if the system is smart enough to train itself.....

Duct Tape is like the force:- it has a light side and a dark side and it binds the universe together.....
Old 10-05-2008, 12:31 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMMER H4 View Post
I was wrong lmao,But wtf? In all my life dealing with cars i have never seen a Wireless transmiter..
Then you've had an incredibly short life. How do you think a sensor inside the wheel connects to the car's computer?

Seriously, unless you truly have a useful post, no more drivel about the TPMS. Most you kids have never touched the greasy side of a car, much less understand the system itself.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 10-05-2008, 02:03 PM
Xmod Expert

Trader Rating: (8)
Send a message via AIM to suicide_star Send a message via MSN to suicide_star

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheB1GDude View Post
What the guys at ford told me is that the ford computer and specifically the module that controls the tire pressure searches for these devices and then assigns and controls them, they said that most likely they would need to be manually assigned in order to correct the problem but haven't answered me on whether or not the car can do that itself....

No problems since Friday, I'll check it again today and see what the dealio is.....
look in the book that came with your car, it tells you how. on my silverado, i have to scroll through the odometer til it says "relearn tire positions" then it gives you a certain order like LF, LR, RF, RR or something and you have 30 secs to go and let air out of each tire, it reads the change in pressure from that transmitter and it tells the computer the location of that tire, once the computer learns 1 tire, it'll honk the horn at you to move to the next tire, then you let air out of that one til it honks again, and so on. when you're done you'll have to repressure everything up....but you have to manually show the computer which transmitter is on which tire.

and another thing, in the winter you'll need to throw a couple of extra pounds in it because it drops about 2 lbs in the morning and throws the tpms off.

Last edited by suicide_star; 10-05-2008 at 02:07 PM..
Old 10-05-2008, 02:51 PM
ROTFLSHMSFOAIDMT

Thanks for the info dude! I'll take a lookski....

I just went and checked all the tire pressures and they are all good, I'll check with Ford tomorrow but I'm thinking I'm good....

So onto the next task of the flashing the ECU....

Duct Tape is like the force:- it has a light side and a dark side and it binds the universe together.....
Old 10-05-2008, 04:03 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (13)

Ok, I didn't read everything about it but from what I understand your TPMS light is on, you aired all of your tires up evenly and it's still on.

This is because of a few reasons, the light will come on after a tire rotation because the sensors are not in their original position, and simply airing them up does not fix this.

The sensors have to be reset so the car knows there they are, on Fords I do not know how to do this.

On GM's you can put the vehicle into learning mode and re-learn the sensor positions. Fords, maybe you have to drive a certain amount of miles.. I don't really know, but I know some are like that.

What did you set the air pressures to? They should be most likely at 35 p.s.i.

Even a small 2-3 p.s.i. difference will trip the lights, I have seen it happen.

Since Ford told you it can be done by itself, it almost leads me to believe maybe one of your sensors just is not working. They should be able to test that out and see if one is faulty. Pretty strange that it came on after your CAI install though..
Old 10-05-2008, 04:29 PM
ROTFLSHMSFOAIDMT

Hey man thanks for the info but you kinda should have read all of it!

Its not the tps light itself that's coming on, its and error showing on the display from the ecu advising that one of the sensors has failed.

The error has since gone away, I've checked my tire pressure and all are good, so I think it was just a case of I disconnected the battery so everything go reset and just needed a while to get its act together.

Thanks though.

Old 10-05-2008, 04:40 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (13)

Heck it was like 2 pages worth of reading..

Glad it got figured out though, I hated dealing with those when I worked at Goodyear. Those alone could eat up a half hour of time trying to figure the problem out.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:58 PM
ROTFLSHMSFOAIDMT

So apparently if you disconnect the battery for more than 20 minutes (mine was off for an hour whilst I fitted the CAI) when you reconnect it the car goes into an adaptive learning mode and needs like 20 miles of driving in order to completely relearn everything about itself..... hence after I drove around for a while the sensor error went away because it figured out what they where....

Wow no wonder they picked the Stang to be the new KITT.....

Old 10-07-2008, 04:01 PM
DONE!!!!

Trader Rating: (14)
Send a message via AIM to blue504life

Quote:
Wow no wonder they picked the Stang to be the new KITT.....
hahaha, your lucky it was only 20 miles, the GT500 takes up to 2000 miles to learn itself/you then it opens up all 500 horses

Did you know, that brawndo's got what plants crave?
Old 10-07-2008, 04:05 PM
ROTFLSHMSFOAIDMT

Wow 2000 thats crazy!!

I was reading online that they recommend that every so often you disconnect the battery for the 20 minutes, reconnect (at which point the horn beeps to indicate learning mode) and then drive it around, this will typically improve your performance..... but 2000 for the GT500 is crazy!!

Old 10-07-2008, 04:10 PM
DONE!!!!

Trader Rating: (14)
Send a message via AIM to blue504life

Quote:
Wow 2000 thats crazy!!

I was reading online that they recommend that every so often you disconnect the battery for the 20 minutes, reconnect (at which point the horn beeps to indicate learning mode) and then drive it around, this will typically improve your performance..... but 2000 for the GT500 is crazy!!
ive never read that, but it might be true, i know 2 people that have GT500s and my bro knows a few others, i know for sure that the brake in period is 2000 miles on the GT500, i dont know anything about the reset period, it could be 20 miles it could be 20000 miles, all the new cars are different

Did you know, that brawndo's got what plants crave?
Old 10-10-2008, 06:47 PM
Banned

Trader Rating: (0)
Default Manly stance

It's so amazing what a few graphics do to a car. You've done alot, but just a couple stripes make it look like a different stang Crazy led's
Old 10-10-2008, 08:37 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25

Quote:
Wow 2000 thats crazy!!

It's sorta true in some sense, and this goes back to when guys 1st started hot rodding with EFI cars in the 90s. When the Impala got the LT1, it was heaven. One of the 1st mods was to replace the MAF/MAP sensor to trick the ECU into providing different fuel settings, that produced more horse power. You can still buy performance sensors, but their BS for all the same reasons. When you 1st put in the sensor, the ECU does indeed change parameters and does boost power for a short period. But soon guys realized that the car eventually lost the power gain it had. Why? ECU's are smart mofo's. Taking the many other sensors into account, it's able to balance out the modded MAP/MAF readings and return itself back to normal, IE stock.

So that's where resetting the ECU can get you a short term power gain after it tunes itself after a reset, but also you can see where it starts to loose that power gain as it learns different things about the engine.

Another interesting thing about ECU's and their long term memory is long term performance. Lets say hypothetically you had two exactly identical cars roll off the assembly line. Realistically, impossible of course, but for the sake of argument, their **** twins. One car is given to a grandmother, that drives as such. The other is given to someone who races the car often, and drives it hard. After a few months, even a year, the two ECU's will become totally different, adapting to their driving conditions. The car that was driven like it was stolen will actually produce more horse power on the dyno then the car that was driven like a grandmother all it's life.

Computers are funny things. Which is why I like Caruburetors.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 10-11-2008, 09:41 AM
the torqueinator

Trader Rating: (1)
Send a message via AIM to kendallcschm

wicked awesome stang.... wish i had it...

'65 Drag Mustang

mods to be made:
pro street rims
some sort of suspension upgrade (message me if you have suggestions)
soft drag slicks

Titan:

mods to be made:
CF driveshaft
composite driveshaft gears

Last edited by texan_idiot25; 10-11-2008 at 12:39 PM.. Reason: Idiotic rambling of an unknowing soul
Old 10-20-2008, 11:03 AM
ROTFLSHMSFOAIDMT

Few small modifications made or in progress - check first thread for pictures.

Old 10-20-2008, 02:42 PM
SPR

the LED interior light is cool at first. but i think you'll probably get sick of it. i know i did when i did that. its nice to actually have real light to be able to see what your doing at night when you need it. the blue just didnt cut it for me.

cant wait to see that stripe! whos going to install it?
Old 10-20-2008, 02:56 PM
ROTFLSHMSFOAIDMT

I've had a LED bulb before in another car and it sucked! These ones are 12 individual LED's so 24 in total (1 driver / 1 pass) are they are pretty bad ***, I haven't had to read a map or anything like that but they work for general purposes

The stripe is being professionally installed, its going to cost an arm and a pony but I just don't feel comfortable doing it myself, the shop I'm taking it to are pumped because they haven't done an 18" stripe before they thought I was crazy when I called asking for a quote!

Anyway's the correct stripe is being cut today and should be mailed out tomorrow, hopefully I can get it in the shop next week!

Also my borlas should be here next week, I need to pick up some ramps so I can install them myself! Once those are installed I can get my custom 93 race tune for tuner comp, apply that I should be putting out a decent amount of power!!

Old 10-20-2008, 02:59 PM
Advance member

Trader Rating: (0)

Nice upgrades B1G.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:11 PM
the torqueinator

Trader Rating: (1)
Send a message via AIM to kendallcschm

gunna super charge it or add any more mods after this? like atctual engine mods... id upgrade to a DOHC 4V.... so id upgrade the cams just for extra power... even without that you can still get a good 1000 HP

'65 Drag Mustang

mods to be made:
pro street rims
some sort of suspension upgrade (message me if you have suggestions)
soft drag slicks

Titan:

mods to be made:
CF driveshaft
composite driveshaft gears
Old 10-20-2008, 08:39 PM
ROTFLSHMSFOAIDMT

I want to put a Turbonetics single intercooled turbo charger onto it buts it $6 for the TC and a few $$$$ more for the installation and I don't have that sort of cash currently!!

Oh and reason I don't want to go with a SC is be it ruins your gas mileage and lets be honest mine doesn't exactly get good mileage as it is.

Oh and oh again that Turbonetics system with give me about 500BHP on 93 octane which is more than enough for a daily driver.

For the moment I'll just stick to my CAI, exhaust and 93 octane race tune.