Go Back   XmodSource.com > Xmods > The XMS Repair and Modification Manual > XMOD Electrical Tutorials
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2007, 08:35 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (0)
Default 5MM Led Conversion (by tommygreen23 from XMW)

I am posting this for anyone who doesn't know about XMW.

All credit goes to "tommygreen23" from XMW.

this tutorial is not for actually switching the LEDs. This is just to fit 5mm leds in the body.

to put 5mm leds in, use my tutorial for replacing headlight/taillights. Just use a 5mm instead of 3mm.

http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7586

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommygreen23
Hello everyone, i figured since i used all of the tutorials on this site i should add my own, i haven't seen this one yet, i hope its not a copy

basically ill be showing you how to switch the stock 3mm LED for a bigger, brighter, and cooler looking 5mm LED, it will look like the zenons that the corvette has :wink:

This is really pretty simple, but these bodies are fairly fragile, so be careful. i only have 3 bodies right now, a 05 mustang, a hummer, and the drop on f-150 body. it works great in the mustang and f-150, but the hummer will need some body filler or hot glue for this mod, for all other cars i do not know!.

You can also keep the 3mm LEDs and use them for fog lights (cool!) with a little more modification and glue

Ok to get stareted you will need some simple tools and a little experience. here is a list:

5mm hexagonal mini screwdriver
small standard screwdriver
soldering iron, any wattage
hot glue gun, super glue will fog plastic like crazy, DO NOT USE IT!

OK, i have some pictures, but this is not hard at all, you shouldnt need too many pictures!

take the headlight wires, on the evo models they are black and white and strip the heat shrink off. if you want fog lights i suggest you cut the white and black wires both halfway. If you only want the 5mm, you can now solder them back on where the stock 3mm were, the longer end goes to the white wire and the shorter to the black. i suggest you trim the pins down a little, they don't need to be that long, just remember which one was the longer (positive) pin. Now cover your solder connections with hot glue and your done modifying the lights, now on to the body...

if you wanted fog lights, get some extra wire and solder it on the wire where you cut it, then solder the other side of the wire to the 5mm LED. finally connect the stock 3mm LED to that connection as well. all done

Now, the stock holes are 2mm too small, so we need to make them bigger. to do so scratch the melted plastic off that holds the lenses on using the standard screwdriver and gently pull the lens off. the mustang has a 2nd lens under the first, this can be removed. now use the 5mm hex screwdriver and begin using it as a primitive drill and make the hole bigger, this is where the pictures start!

stock on left, finished 5mm on right.

stock on right, finished on the left.

once again, stock on left, finished 5mm on right.

notice i took the center fog lights out, ill be showing you how to put the 3mm LEDs in there for my next tutorial

on a small side note, you can make the taillights look slightly better on the mustang fairly easily, just pop the lens off,

use a 3mm hex screwdriver to carve the flanges in the hole out,

snap the separator between the two sections on the taillight off,

"paint" it with silver sharpie and put the lenses back on,

the original light on the left, finished mod on the right.

Here is my finished product for my f-150 with the 5mm headlights, look at how bright they are!!

5mm LED fit in the mustang, no rub at all.

and here is my baby, my f-150 :P ill show you a simple mod to make a "shift on the fly" 4, 5, or 6 cell mod soon

I know this is really easy, i just wanted to contribute in some little way! hello again everyone!!
Old 03-16-2007, 08:56 PM
Xmod Expert

Good tutorial! In addition, thanks for citing the source and giving proper credit! This should be an example to 'Life' on how to write a topic!

Good stuff.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:38 PM
Elite member

here are the results from the same thread:

also, in case you want to leave him a comment on XMW, here is the link to it.
http://xmodworld.com/modules.php?nam...wtopic&t=22494

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommygreen23
look at this beast!! i have it running 8 non rechargeable cells with 2 diodes before the board, its overpowering it a little, but it drifts with stock tires and no AWD kit :twisted:

those are without the brakes on

I'm working on something now, you know how cell phone batteries are designed for low amps, well you cant make a battery draw lower amps if they have the same chemicals, anyway i took a cell battery apart, a li-ion (gulp) and found out why they suck in cars, they got a bunch of resistors, transistors, diodes and whatnot, i got one to read 6 amps on a multimeter after i pulled all the extra crap off, but a quick question, my cell charger pumps out 5 volts, can i just hook that directly to the battery to charge it?

I'm going after turn signals next. I'm gonna try to use a relay or something so that when you turn the wheel it turns the circuit on and turns the signals on, i need to do a little more research first though.

thanks for the comments!

Old 03-16-2007, 09:43 PM
Xmod Expert

The quad-lights on that Mustang look sweet! Makes me wish I took the Mustang over the tC for $20 on clearance
Old 03-16-2007, 09:45 PM
Elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDisFASTER View Post
The quad-lights on that Mustang look sweet! Makes me wish I took the Mustang over the tC for $20 on clearance
yea same here

Last edited by imnotmikal; 03-16-2007 at 10:29 PM..
Old 03-16-2007, 10:18 PM
Elite member

where did you get the 5mm led's??

Scion Tc-stock
06 Mustang- Awd
Hummer- Awd
Old 03-16-2007, 10:20 PM
Elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarianliam View Post
where did you get the 5mm led's??
remember, I didn't do this, but you can get 5mm LEDs anywhere. he said he buys his in 100 sets on ebay for $6 shipped.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:24 PM
Elite member

ohh i thought it was your mustang you just stole his text...and i heard that the 5mm from rs arent bright enough...

Scion Tc-stock
06 Mustang- Awd
Hummer- Awd
Old 03-16-2007, 10:25 PM
Elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarianliam View Post
ohh i thought it was your mustang you just stole his text...and i heard that the 5mm from rs arent bright enough...
haha, no. everything in the quotes are the original stuff, i didnt even look for grammer to correct.

and, no RS leds arent bright at all.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:57 AM
Stage 2 member

Wow that is beautiful! Those lights look really awesome on a mustang. May be time to pick one up, hehehe.....