Go Back   XmodSource.com > Miscellaneous > Real Cars: Full scale > August 08'-09' Build Off
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2008, 02:39 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25
Default August 08'-09' Build Off: 1969 Chevrolet CST/10

It's big.

It's bad.

It's very Orange.

And it's back.

For those new to this, this is my back story: http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7609

Yes, it runs, and it's mean:
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

It's a 1969 Chevrolet CST/10, long bed 2wd. Freshly rebuilt 350 small block backed with a rebuilt TH350 tranny, twisting over 360 ft lb of torque to a monster Dana 60 rear axle (very rare on half tons). Exhaust flows through Heddmen long-tube headers to a dual 2.5 in pipes that run through a mystery set of mufflers and dump just past the axle.

I bought way back in January of 07.

Why wait so long to enter? Hell, I had no money. My daily driving day dream of a Firebird had it's own costs. And with a alleged 83 mph speeding ticket, I simply can't afford to keep driving it and cover the ticket and expect to finish the CST/10 anytime soon. So, off goes the bird to the next owner (still in the family though) and hello to

The up to date plans:
-Next weekend I'm hittin my favorite yard for a 73-87 C10 front suspension, which bolts right up to my frame. They have brakes that can stop (I have front drums), and apparently ride and handle better than the 67-72 geometry. Also the master cylinder and brake lines will be off the 73-87 truck. So with all that, and replacing the common parts it will run me 350-400 bucks at most, as opposed to a 700 dollar kit from any one of the venders.

-Fuel sending unit today, picking one up in a bit and bringing home the gas tank I bought a while back. By the end of the day the CST10 should be running on it's own gas again. The original tank was rusted to hell so after that one day, we didn't start it up using that tank again.

-Seats/seatbelts. I can use the stock bench seat, but it's torn up. That, and my dad won't let me use this beast until it has shoulder belts. So, I'm thinkin' of buying the set of > 2007 GM truck seats I saw at Charlies for 200. Their 2 buckets with the center armrest/seat, and has built in belts. That's two birds with one 200 dollar stone right there.

-Powersteering, buying the pump and brackets tomorrow, and possibly the A/c brakets too.

-Interior, got a plan for that Olds 442 steering wheel I got. Seats will be changed. Door panels have to be done. The gauge cluster will be finished up w/the Cadillac clock once we get some more wiring done. Any added on stuff (EX: Radio, amp) will be ran on a custom harness to keep it out of the stock harness.

-Wheels, totally unsure. But sticking with the steel wheels ATM

The other option, but needs some work to fit.

-Suspension: Getting 2 inch drop springs all around for $20 off the guy who I bought the tank from, shocks will be around 40 a piece.

As it's sitting right now:

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 12-13-2008, 02:46 PM
Stage 2 member

Trader Rating: (0)

Looks pertty bad bro and sencie you' re going to change the master cilinder for the braks I would sugest to buy a crome one or chrome the one you bought as well as the boster and the alternator to give it a crome look, and is that a K&N filter you got or is it just a stock one? But it's coming a long very well Texan.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:34 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

I just want it on the road, shiney parts cost too much... Plus chrome M/C cover on a rusty truck is counter intuitive.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 12-13-2008, 10:13 PM
Stage 2 member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan_idiot25 View Post
I just want it on the road, shiney parts cost too much... Plus chrome M/C cover on a rusty truck is counter intuitive.
True but it is a project truck It really not that expensive if you now were to buy or you could just have them dipped in crome, But some one that acually know what their doing.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:22 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Both of which are out of the budget. And silly, why make an ugly part stand out even more?

I do actually know what I'm doing and what I'm talking about when I say billet and silly chrome bits are not in my budget right now. Suspension, brakes, engine, and getting it street legal are far more important.

A can of rustoleum spray paint is 4 bucks, and does the job much better. If I get so daring I can touch it with the engine orange used on the air cleaner and block. Buying the same shiny bits that every one else has is not as cool.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:26 PM
Stage 2 member

Quote:
Both of which are out of the budget. And silly, why make an ugly part stand out even more?

I do actually know what I'm doing,
I did not mean you bro, What I meant is that I have seen cromed out parts done by knock off companies or poeple that look nasty.
Old 12-13-2008, 11:20 PM
I got nothin...

this looks like a fun project! definitely more room to work under the hood than i tend to get in my teggy... oh and you need to update your sig if you dont have the firebird anymore.

New Forum Needing Members:
http://rcunited.tk/
Old 12-14-2008, 12:41 AM
SPR

id sure love to see two draggin bowties in your hands, you got one sick truck there. I bought one for 250 bucks awhile back with plans to retore it, but sold it a week later for 900 bucks haha. Cant wait to see this thing come to life though. 2 grand will be gone super quick. but man it will sure go a long way.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:08 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

The ingenius way to clean out a semi-rusty gas tank:

1st, we used garden rocks from walmart and tossed in a few handfuls in the tank, we used a teeter-totter motion (My dad and I holding the tank at each end, one going up, one going down). This was like a rock tumbler, knocking off TONS of the rust.

Step 2, take out the rocks, nothing really fancy... Putting fingers inside the sending unit hole and catchign rocks as they roll past.

Step 3, while vacuuming took a good bit of the powdered rust out, it couldn't get it all. Thus, our ghetto... HIGHTECH FILTRATION DEVICE:

Fuel fitting form the sending unit, to rubber line, through a jeep filter, through the screw-on filter, down to the electric fuel pump that was on the truck when I bought it,and back into the gas tank. Run it for a few minutes, shake the truck (easy when your shocks don't stop the sway), and let it filter out the shacken up rust. After 15 minutes, the gas was coming out of our little rig clear as pump-fresh gas.

:metal:

Started it up on it's own tank in nearly a year. Just gotta have time to let it warm up and get the idle set and she'll run like a beast again.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:11 PM
SPR

thats pretty friggin smart. i wouldnt have the patients for something like that haha. nice job!
Old 12-15-2008, 09:37 PM
Stage 2 member

[QUOTE=texan_idiot25;198798]The ingenius way to clean out a semi-rusty gas tank:

1st, we used garden rocks from walmart and tossed in a few handfuls in the tank, we used a teeter-totter motion (My dad and I holding the tank at each end, one going up, one going down). This was like a rock tumbler, knocking off TONS of the rust.

Step 2, take out the rocks, nothing really fancy... Putting fingers inside the sending unit hole and catchign rocks as they roll past.

Step 3, while vacuuming took a good bit of the powdered rust out, it couldn't get it all. Thus, our ghetto... HIGHTECH FILTRATION DEVICE: [QUOTE]

Wow what a sofisticated way of rocks to take out rust.
Old 12-17-2008, 05:47 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPR View Post
thats pretty friggin smart. i wouldnt have the patients for something like that haha. nice job!
You learn paitents when on a small budget.

Can't wait for saturday, pure and simple. It's time to bust *** on this truck.

Gotta tune the carb too, it doesn't like to idle at the moment. But it's awesome to start it up again and listen to that beast go.

It's going straight headers on the 1st day of school, screw Officer Harrasser

Old 12-20-2008, 09:02 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

PLEASE GOD, TELL ME THE CHEAPEST AND EASIEST WAY TO GET DISK BRAKES ON MY **** PICK'M UP TRUCK!

While the 67-72 forums say one swap, the man at the Junkyard (also really knows what he's saying) says something totally contradictory. So, yay, no ****ing clue once more. Just trying to not have to buy the $700 kit.

But, good day no less, brand new seats out of a wrecked 08 Silverado, just gotta clean them up and fix one of the seats:

They look different shades of grey because the driver's side was wet from the carpet cleaner. But sweet setup no less, and for $150, cheapest set of seats priced so far!

Then went to go pick up the springs:

His project truck, and why I'm getting springs. Laid out on air bags, just started his project. So anyways, talking to his dad since he had left earlier, pull out my wallet to pay the man for the springs and shocks, and he asks,

"What's that for?"
"The springs and shocks," I say.
"He told me to just give them to you"

I was excited, called up the guy and he says "Yes, merry chistmas!"

So that's 250~ bucks saved!

Got home and ripped out the stock springs:

Toss in the lowered springs, not noting their exact drop, but realizing the moment the wheels hit the ground, the grins on my dad and I's face was large. It's too low to run, considering the axle tubes only have an inch until the bump stop, and maybe 3-4 inches until it hits the frame. So in the end we'll run 3inch drop springs instead of the 5 inch springs (later found the parts number) so that the truck can still haul and drive, but check out my ***!

Tossing on the 3 inch front coils tomorrow.

Also I saw a *****en silverado with rockwell axles, and a car on fire!

Old 12-20-2008, 09:13 PM

Trader Rating: (22)
Send a message via AIM to 123Vette Send a message via Yahoo to 123Vette

cool man! loking so sick! thats a cool score on the springs!

your truck have a sun roof?
Old 12-20-2008, 09:15 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Unfortunately, yes. And if you don't close it a special way, it leaks. Some one tossed it in some where in the last 40 years.

Old 12-20-2008, 09:16 PM
SPR

hollly ****! where do i start?

i guess first off, those seats are sick!! very good choiice.

that bagged chevy is exactly what i want!! sooo ****ing awesome.

kick *** deal on the springs!! gotta love days like those.

rockwells are the EFFING SHIZZNIT! that is soo badass. Texas rules for their lack of lift laws lol.

and whoooO! burning cars! haha.

wish i could help on the disc brake job, but im clueless. but if you tell me the 2 ways you have been told. i might be able to provide some more insite on it. i have a little knowledge in that area. but not a ton.

oh yeah... the drop looks ****ing sicckkK!! cant wait to see the front lowered. very nice!
Old 12-20-2008, 09:17 PM
SPR

Quote:
Unfortunately, yes. And if you don't close it a special way, it leaks. Some one tossed it in some where in the last 40 years.

rip it out, and switch it to a cali rag top cooler looking. nicer finish. doesnt leak!

and not very expensive.
Old 12-20-2008, 09:33 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Quote:
rip it out, and switch it to a cali rag top cooler looking. nicer finish. doesnt leak!

and not very expensive.
I've thought about it, later on for sure.

Quote:
hollly ****! where do i start?

i guess first off, those seats are sick!! very good choiice.
Thanks! Can't beat them and they are the coolest seats I've seen in the yards
Quote:
that bagged chevy is exactly what i want!! sooo ****ing awesome.
The 60-72 C10s are just about the easiest trucks to bag, the rear suspension is perfect for it. Trailing arms instead of leafs, so you can pretty much bolt bags right on the rear with out worrying about a 4-link/etc setup.
Quote:
kick *** deal on the springs!! gotta love days like those.
Free is a price I can afford
Quote:
rockwells are the EFFING SHIZZNIT! that is soo badass. Texas rules for their lack of lift laws lol.
As long as it fits under the traffic lights and between the lines, it's basically legal
Quote:
and whoooO! burning cars! haha.
Hahaha.
Quote:
wish i could help on the disc brake job, but im clueless. but if you tell me the 2 ways you have been told. i might be able to provide some more insite on it. i have a little knowledge in that area. but not a ton.

oh yeah... the drop looks ****ing sicckkK!! cant wait to see the front lowered. very nice!
Swapping the entire front suspension of a 73-87 C10, and putting on aftermarket six lug rotors. That's what the 67-72 guys say

Junkyard charlie says I only need spindles, and they'll work with the 69 ball joints. But he also says I don't need a proportioning valve so... His idea may work, but may not be right.
[quote=SPR;199684]

Old 12-20-2008, 09:41 PM
SPR

hmm well thats really iffy. swaping the suspension of course will work. but to me that would be pretty costly, and you would be better off going with teh $700 kit.

swaping spindles and changing the hubs to me sounds logical, on a lot of cars its as simple as that. So i would atleast give it a shot. if worse comes to worse.. try and sell the parts, recoupe some money. and go the other route.
Old 12-20-2008, 09:54 PM

Trader Rating: (22)
Send a message via AIM to 123Vette Send a message via Yahoo to 123Vette

Quote:
Err that sucks it didnt look too sound.. the one on my car the rails rusted out so when its closed it rattles and it leaks a very tiny bit only time i noticed it was in the car wash.. i normally have the back flipped open even in the snow and rain lol so it doesnt really matter to me.

the leak causing any rust issues?