Go Back   XmodSource.com > Miscellaneous > Real Cars: Full scale > August 08'-09' Build Off
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-12-2008, 07:39 AM
The Daywalker

Trader Rating: (1)
Send a message via AIM to Numbchux Send a message via MSN to Numbchux Send a message via Yahoo to Numbchux

alright, so I had planned to be a bit secretive about this.....but it's going to be a rather long-term project (hope to have it up and running by next summer though), so screw it....

Few weeks ago, I bought this:

As I mentioned earlier, it's a v4 Link LEM ECU. mmmmmmmmm........still need a few things before it'll be fully usable, but the bulk of it is here. not bad for $250. also came with 2 02 sensor, and EGT sensor, and a coolant temp sensor. and a harness that looks like it's supposed to be plug and play for something, but despite the fact that it says "subaru" on the sticker on the unit itself, the plugs on the harness don't look like anything I've ever seen.

And after studying the manual for it, I realized it's only designed to control a 2-wire Idle-air solenoid. and subarus are 3.....so I picked up this on ebay for $10.

from a '90 Audi 200. 2 wire, and doesn't mount right to the intake. shouldn't be too hard to fab a flange to bolt to the subaru intake where the old IAC was, and plumb this in there.

then, this showed up......

an Eaton M62 Supercharger from a '00 Mercedes C230. only has 25k miles on it. I took the intake and exhaust manifolds off it and polished them on the wire wheel on my bench grinder. now they're all shiny . I also re-mounted the high-pressure one 90* from where it was stock so it points more towards where the subaru tb is.

you can see the line that I drew on it, where I plan to cut it off, and weld a plate over the hole to only use the one output.

from the back:

again, line drawn where I'll cut off the low-pressure manifold. a few measurements, and it looks like a 3.5" coupler will fit perfectly over that spot.

then I noticed the little chunk of heater hose left over from the new water pump on the '96 imp motor I put in the '86 wagon. I used it to put the IAC valve right off the blower:

ideally, you'd want it on the low-pressure side, but any time the valve is open, the blower will be off, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Also, I've got a Jaycar voltage switch, that will be calibrated to engage the blower at ~75% throttle.

plan is, to get my hands on a dual-port phase I EJ22e.
partial rebuild (rings if necessary. but certainly headgaskets, all seals, timing belt, pumps, etc.).
Leave it at stock N/A compression
Delta Cams, possibly head work
phenolic intake mani spacers
t-leg intake manifold and injectors
possibly parallel fuel rails
keep my existing exhaust (mmmmmmmmmm)
use this AWIC, plumbed between the blower and TB. should keep piping down (click image for more specs):

another voltage switch controlled by an intake air temp sensor to control the water pump for said AWIC
stock pulleys should yield 4-5 psi
I'm also planning on mounting 3 LEDs on the dash. one for the supercharger clutch, one for the AWIC pump, and the third for the radiator fan.

mounting system originally planned to be something like this:

but then a different setup just appeared on rs25 (which, of course, just switched servers, so I can't access the picture to post here...). so things might get switched around before then.

also, there will be paint involved on the new engine. still trying to think of a color scheme.....

"Where are we going, and why are we in a handbasket?"
Subaru --- All We'll Drive
Member: NSW, USC, MNS, C4C. Founder/Owner: NCC